Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63675 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In 1971 researchers hoping to predict earthquakes in the short term by [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 6

sectan wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Hi stonecold, good question!

Quote:
I have a query regarding the last question in this series.

We are asked about the ability of the researchers in the line 18.

The passage clearly indicates and even mentions -> They were able to predict the timing but not the magnitude." indistinguishable from other minor tremors that occur"

I am still convinced that the OA should be A.

What am i missing.?

P.S-> I have seen the other replies.

without large earthquakes.

Imagine that the researchers recorded 100 large earthquakes of various magnitudes during their study and that nearly all of those large earthquakes were preceded by minor tremors. This might lead us to expect any minor tremor to be followed by a large earthquake, even though we might not know exactly how large that "large" earthquake will be. Thus, choice A is tempting.

Now consider the final fact given in line 23: "these foreshocks... are indistinguishable from other minor tremors that occur without large earthquakes." If instead the passage stated, "these foreshocks are indistinguishable from other minor tremors that occur before small earthquakes", THEN choice A would be defensible... this would imply that after a minor tremor we can expect an earthquake, though we have no idea how small or large it will be. But the passage states that the tremors are "indistinguishable from other minor tremors that occur without large earthquakes." Therefore, the passage implies that a minor tremor could be followed by a large earthquake, a small earthquake, or no earthquake at all; for example, the researchers may have recorded HUNDREDS of minor tremors that were NOT followed by an earthquake.

This explanation is supported by the first sentence starting in line 17: "Researchers initially reported success in identifying these possible precursors, but subsequent analyses of their data proved disheartening." In other words, the researchers were initially successful in identifying earthquake precursors; subsequent analyses proved disheartening, implying that the researchers were not successful in identifying precursors that would predict earthquakes.

I hope that helps!

­Hi,

I had the same confusion as stonecold and I went through the explanation which largely makes sense, however, the option talks about them being able to identify when an earthquake is likely to occur and not that the earthquake occurs for sure. Wouldn't this make A more defensible?

­The word "likely" does soften (A) to some degree. However, we still can't say that the researchers in question are "likely" to identify when an earthquake will occur. Let's say that they record some "possible precursors" to an earthquake -- is that earthquake then likely to occur at some predictable time in the near future?

Sadly, it is not. These possible precursors are "indistinguishable" from other events that are not followed by an earthquake at all. So the researchers are left in the dark -- maybe an earthquake will occur, maybe it won't.

Given this, we can't say that it is "likely" that the researchers can identify when an earthquake will occur. Eliminate (A) for question 6.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 1971 researchers hoping to predict earthquakes in the short term by [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts