Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 17:23 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 17:23
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94302
Own Kudos [?]: 640179 [8]
Given Kudos: 84576
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Posts: 106
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Board of Directors
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Status:QA & VA Forum Moderator
Posts: 6049
Own Kudos [?]: 4763 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Posts: 36
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 622
Send PM
Re: In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
2
Kudos
I am confused with a move that changed and a move that has changed.
Shouldn't it be has changed because it will have continuous effect? or because of In 2009 we have to keep it as Simple Past?
Please help to resolve my query.

Bunuel wrote:
In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to prevent overfishing, a move that changed the lives of many commercial fishermen across New England.


A. that science-based limits be used to prevent overfishing, a move that changed

B. that science-based limits will be used to prevent overfishing and change

C. science-based limits are used to prevent overfishing, and it was a move that has changed

D. that science-based limits should be used to prevent overfishing, a move that has changed

E. that science-based limits are used to prevent overfishing, changing
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 154
Own Kudos [?]: 458 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
Gmat800Champ wrote:
I am confused with a move that changed and a move that has changed.
Shouldn't it be has changed because it will have continuous effect? or because of In 2009 we have to keep it as Simple Past?
Please help to resolve my query.

Bunuel wrote:
In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to prevent overfishing, a move that changed the lives of many commercial fishermen across New England.


A. that science-based limits be used to prevent overfishing, a move that changed

B. that science-based limits will be used to prevent overfishing and change

C. science-based limits are used to prevent overfishing, and it was a move that has changed

D. that science-based limits should be used to prevent overfishing, a move that has changed

E. that science-based limits are used to prevent overfishing, changing


I think simple past is more appropriate here because we use simple past or simple present to denote a fact. Since it's a law that passed it will come under the simple past.
Good point raised.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Status: enjoying
Posts: 5264
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
Location: India
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
That changed and that has changed


A past tense is used for an event that started and ended in the past. A present perfect is used for something that was started in the past and which is continuing today or whose impact is still being felt.
Therefore, let us ask some relevant questions. Is the move still in effect? Alternatively, has the move been canceled by now? Are the people, whom the move impacted were still out of business? There is no indication that the move has been revoked. Hence, one would be reasonable to go with the present perfect. As per that, D seems to be a better choice.

However, in the context, the word 'mandated' indicates that a subjunctive verb 'be' should be used. As per that, A seems to be the more grammatical choice.

However, don't we use perfect tenses for facts or is it a non-fact if we use a perfect tense? To say that we use a past tense and present tense to denote facts isn't sustainable.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 14 Feb 2016
Posts: 54
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
The underlying grammatical principle that is tested with this question is one regarding the subjunctive mood. In particular, the command subjunctive mood. The command subjunctive is used with certain bossy verbs such as require or propose, verbs that tell people to do things. There are certain verbs we must know in order for us to tackle questions like this in the future. Common verbs that only take the command subjunctive when indicating desire are:

demand, dictate, insist, mandate, propose, recommend, request, stipulate, suggest. Hence, the word mandate is used and therefore the command subjunctive must be applied.

With the command subjunctive the bare form of the verb must be applied. If you don't know what this means, I suggest you go through Manhattan SC, Chapter 7. Do note however that in the command subjunctive the form of the verb to be is always just be, not is, are or am.

Answer choice A is the only one that is stated in the command subjunctive.
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94302
Own Kudos [?]: 640179 [0]
Given Kudos: 84576
Send PM
Re: In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to prevent overfishing, a move that changed the lives of many commercial fishermen across New England.


A. that science-based limits be used to prevent overfishing, a move that changed

B. that science-based limits will be used to prevent overfishing and change

C. science-based limits are used to prevent overfishing, and it was a move that has changed

D. that science-based limits should be used to prevent overfishing, a move that has changed

E. that science-based limits are used to prevent overfishing, changing


VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



The most prominent decision point in this problem is the choice between “be used,” “are used” and “will/should be used”. While this type of verb choice is usually easy to assess, it is more difficult in this example. When certain verbs are used to express demands or suggestions such as insist, require, recommend, suggest, etc. the verb that follows requires a special conjugation in what is called the subjunctive mood (versus the normal indicative mood). Since these verbs are quite common in language, they are tested regularly on the GMAT and you must be on the lookout for this scenario. The rule is quite simple to learn: if you have a subjunctive verb followed by “that” then the verb that follows should be in the base form (the infinitive form without the “to”).

So in this example you have the subjunctive verb “mandated” followed by “that” so the correct form of the verb is the base form “be” NOT the normal “are” that you would use in the indicative mood. Also, the use of “will” or “should” in (B) and (D) with the verb “mandate” is redundant: the verb already implies that it “will” or “should” be done. Since only (A) uses the correct structure “mandate that limits BE used…”it is correct.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Apr 2017
Posts: 24
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
That changed and that has changed


A past tense is used for an event that started and ended in the past. A present perfect is used for something that was started in the past and which is continuing today or whose impact is still being felt.
Therefore, let us ask some relevant questions. Is the move still in effect? Alternatively, has the move been canceled by now? Are the people, whom the move impacted were still out of business? There is no indication that the move has been revoked. Hence, one would be reasonable to go with the present perfect. As per that, D seems to be a better choice.

However, in the context, the word 'mandated' indicates that a subjunctive verb 'be' should be used. As per that, A seems to be the more grammatical choice.

However, don't we use perfect tenses for facts or is it a non-fact if we use a perfect tense? To say that we use a past tense and present tense to denote facts isn't sustainable.


daagh one small question- isn't ' a move' modifying overfishing? and isn't that a incorrect use of modifier?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 11 Sep 2017
Posts: 30
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.03
Send PM
In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
After the words like "mandated", "demanded" which are subjunctive, "be" should be used.

Hence, A.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Nov 2019
Posts: 20
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
Hi team

I choose option D states a move that has changed , the question does not revoke about the movement. It states that the movement should be implemented as it changed in New England.

which states the continuing effect of the movement, then why option A . @e-gmat
Board of Directors
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Status:QA & VA Forum Moderator
Posts: 6049
Own Kudos [?]: 4763 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
anks2190 wrote:
Hi team

I choose option D states a move that has changed , the question does not revoke about the movement. It states that the movement should be implemented as it changed in New England.

which states the continuing effect of the movement, then why option A . @e-gmat


Check option (D) very carfully it states -

that science-based limits should be used to prevent overfishing, a move that has changed

This is improper per the subjunctive usage !!! Hence (D) can be rejected.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 2009, Congress mandated that science-based limits be used to preven [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts