GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 15:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:19) correct 45% (02:24) wrong based on 335 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures leak. The cold-water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in c hours and the hot-water leak alone would fill the same bucket in h hours, where c < h. If both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it took t hours to fill the bucket, which of the following must be true?

I. \(0 < t < h\)

II. \(c < t < h\)

III. \(\frac{c}{2} < t < \frac{h}{2}\)

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) I and III

Attachment:
Gprep-ps-2.JPG
Gprep-ps-2.JPG [ 51.68 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 16:19
gmatpunjabi wrote:
In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures leak. The cold-water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in c hours and the hot-water leak alone would fill the same bucket in h hours, where c<h. if both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it took t hours to fill the bucket, which of the following must be true?

I. 0 < t < h
II. c < t < h
III. c/2 < t < h/2

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) I and III - Answer

Can someone please provide a comprehensive explanation as to why statement III is also valid?

I. 0 < t < h. That is always correct, as the time needed for both fixtures leaking (working) together to fill the bucket, \(t\), must always be less than time needed for either of fixture leaking (working) alone to fill the bucket;

II. c < t < h. That cannot be correct: \(t\), the time needed for both fixtures leaking (working) together to fill the bucket, must always be less than time needed for either of fixture leaking (working) alone to fill the bucket. So \(c<t\) not true.

III. c/2 < t < h/2. To prove that this is always correct we can use pure logic or algebra.

Logic:
If both fixtures were leaking at identical rate then \(\frac{c}{2}=\frac{h}{2}=t\) but since \(c<h\) then \(\frac{c}{2}<t\) (as the rate of cold water is higher) and \(t<\frac{h}{2}\) (as the rate of hot water is lower).

Algebraic approach would be:

Given: \(c<h\) and \(t=\frac{ch}{c+h}\)

\(\frac{c}{2}<\frac{ch}{c+h}<\frac{h}{2}\)? break down: \(\frac{c}{2}<\frac{ch}{c+h}\)? and \(\frac{ch}{c+h}<\frac{h}{2}\)?

\(\frac{c}{2}<\frac{ch}{c+h}\)? --> \(c^2+ch< 2ch\)? --> \(c^2<ch\)? --> \(c<h\)? Now, this is given to be true.

\(\frac{ch}{c+h}<\frac{h}{2}\)? --> \(2ch<ch+h^2\)? --> \(ch<h^2\)? --> \(c<h\)? Now, this is given to be true.

So III is also always true.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.
WE: Science (Education)
Re: In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2012, 15:43
carcass wrote:
In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures leak. The cold-water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in c hours, and the hot-water leak alone would fill the same bucket in h hours, where \(c < h\). If both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it took t hours to fill the bucket, which of the following must be true?

I. \(0 < t < h\)

II. \(c < t < h\)

III. \(\frac{c}{2}\) \(< t <\) \(\frac{h}{2}\)

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) III only

(D) I and II

(E) I and III

The two rates for the cold water and that of the hot water fixture are 1/c and 1/h, respectively.
We can write the following equation:

(1/c+1/h)t = 1, or t/c + t/h = 1.

I. t > 0 (represents time to fill the bucket), and from the above inequality it follows that t/h < 1, or t < h.
TRUE

II. If t > c then t/c > 1, which is impossible according to the above equality.
FALSE

III. Since t/c + t/h = 1 and c < h, t/c > t/h, necessarily t/h < 1/2 < t/c, or c/2 < t < h/2.
TRUE

Answer E.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 14:09
I am sorry I do not understand your explanation for statement 3. I do not quite sure how got the inequalities in the algebraic approach and cant seem to understand the logic approach either.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 15:09
gmatpunjabi wrote:
I am sorry I do not understand your explanation for statement 3. I do not quite sure how got the inequalities in the algebraic approach and cant seem to understand the logic approach either.

Consider this: say the cold-water leak needs 4 hours to fill an empty bucket and the hot-water leak needs 6 hours to fill an empty bucket.

Now, if both leaks needed 4 hours (so if hot-water were as fast as cold-water) then working together they would take 4/2=2 hours to fill the bucket, but we don't have two such fast leaks, so total time must be more than 2 hours. Similarly, if both leaks needed 6 hours (so if cold-water were as slow as hot-water) then working together they would take 6/2=3 hours to fill the bucket, but we don't have two such slow leaks, so total time must be less than 3 hours.

So, 4/2<t<6/2 --> c/2<t<h/2.

Hope it's clear.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Oct 2012, 22:41
EvaJager wrote:
carcass wrote:
In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures leak. The cold-water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in c hours, and the hot-water leak alone would fill the same bucket in h hours, where \(c < h\). If both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it took t hours to fill the bucket, which of the following must be true?

I. \(0 < t < h\)

II. \(c < t < h\)

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) III only

(D) I and II

(E) I and III

The two rates for the cold water and that of the hot water fixture are 1/c and 1/h, respectively.

I. t > 0 (represents time to fill the bucket), and from the above inequality it follows that t/h < 1, or t < h.
TRUE

FALSE

III. Since t/c + t/h = 1 and c < h, t/c > t/h, necessarily t/h < 1/2 < t/c, or c/2 < t < h/2.
TRUE

Answer E.

My approach was by just plugging in numbers. I put in \(1\) for c and \(2\) for h and \(\frac{2}{3}\)

\(\frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} = \frac{3}{2}\)

so.,

\(c = 1, h = 2, t = \frac{2}{3}, \frac{c}{2} = \frac{1}{2}, \frac{h}{2} = \frac{2}{2} = 1\)

\(0<t<c<h\) \(&\) \(\frac{c}{2} < t < \frac{h}{2}\)

and I got the answer as E. Did I just get lucky or would it work with any two numbers.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Originally posted by MacFauz on 22 Oct 2012, 22:24.
Last edited by MacFauz on 22 Oct 2012, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2012, 22:37
MacFauz wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
carcass wrote:

I. \(0 < t < h\)

II. \(c < t < h\)

(A) I only

(B) II only

(C) III only

(D) I and II

(E) I and III

TRUE

FALSE

TRUE

Answer E.

My approach was by just plugging in numbers. I put in \(1\) for c and \(2\) for h and \(\frac{2}{3}\) and I got the answer as E. Did I just get lucky or would it work with any two numbers.

From the above solution, you can see that any triplet such that c < h and t which fulfill the equation (1/c + 1/h)t = 1 will work. The conclusion doesn't depend on the numbers themselves, but on the relationships between them.
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2013, 03:38
gmatpunjabi wrote:
In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures leak. The cold-water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in c hours and the hot-water leak alone would fill the same bucket in h hours, where c<h. If both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it took t hours to fill the bucket, which of the following must be true?

I. 0 < t < h
II. c < t < h
III. c/2 < t < h/2

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) I and III

Can someone please provide a comprehensive explanation as to why statement III is also valid?

t = ch/(c + h)

Option 1 : 0 < t < h

ch/(c + h) < h
i.e c< c + h
h > 0

ch/(c + h) > 0
i.e ch > 0 ( c and h not -ve)
i.e both c & h > 0
Satisfies option 1

Option 2 : c < t < h
c < ch/(c + h)
c + h < h
c < 0 ..False
(No need to check other inequality)

Option 3 : c/2 < t/2 < h/2

c/2 < ch/(c + h)
c + h < 2h
c < h (true ,as per question)

ch/(c + h) < h/2
2c <c + h
c<h (true,as per question)..Hence always true

Ans 1 & 3
GMAT Tutor
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2015, 05:18
We know that c < h, so the cold tap fills the tub more quickly than the hot tap.

If you turn on both taps, you'll fill the tub more quickly than if you only turn on one tap, so t < c < h, and I is true and II is false (I think there's a typo in the original post - if I recall correctly, in the GMATPrep version of this question, the first roman numeral item reads "t < c < h").

If you had two of the fast taps (the cold taps), they'd fill the tub in c/2 hours. If you had two of the slow taps (the hot taps), they'd fill the tub in h/2 hours. We have one fast tap and one slow tap, so the time they take together must be somewhere in between c/2 and h/2, which is what III says, so III must also be true.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 19:03
gautamsubrahmanyam wrote:
In a certain bathtub, both the hot and cold water fixtures leak. The cold water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in c hours, and the hot water leak alone will fill the same bucket in h hours, where c < h. If both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it tool t hours to fill the bucket, which of the following must be true?

I. 0 < t < h
II. c < t <h
III. c/2 < t < h/2

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II
E. I and III

1.Take an example. C= 1 hr, h= 2 hrs, t=1/(1/1+1/2)=2/3
2.Take a totally different example c=1 hr, h=100hrs, t=1/(1/1+1/100)=100/101
In both the cases I and III are true.

Holistic and Systematic Approach
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 11:57
Hi All,

We're told that In a certain bathtub, both the hot and cold water fixtures leak. The cold water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in C hours, and the hot water leak alone will fill the same bucket in H hours, where C < H. If both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it took T hours to fill the bucket. We're asked which of the following MUST be true. Based on the five answer choices, we know AT LEAST one of the three Roman Numerals is always true - and we can TEST VALUES to define which are always true and which are not always true.

To start, this is an example of a Work Formula question, so we can use the Work Formula:

(A)(B)/(A+B) = time it takes to complete the task together, where A and B are the individual times needed to complete the task. In the prompt, we're told that C < H, so we can TEST C = 3 hours, H = 6 hours... meaning that the TOTAL time to fill the bucket would be (3)(6)/(3+6) = 18/9 = 2 hours... so T = 2. With those three values, we can check the Roman Numerals...

I. 0 < T < H

With our values, T = 2 and H = 6... and 0 < 2 < H, so Roman Numeral 1 appears to be true. Logically, we can also deduce that Roman Numeral 1 will ALWAYS be true, since when BOTH fixtures leak, the amount of time needed to fill the bucket would obviously be SMALLER than if just one of the fixtures was leaking. This means that T < H and T < C will ALWAYS be true and all of those variables will be greater than 0.
Eliminate Answers B and C.

II. C < T < H

With our values, C=3, T = 2 and H = 6... but 3 < 2 < H is NOT true, so Roman Numeral 2 is NOT true
Eliminate Answer D.

III. C/2 < T < H/2

With our values, C=3, T = 2 and H = 6... and 3/2 < 2 < 6/2 IS true, so Roman Numeral 3 appears to be true. Roman Numeral 3 will also ALWAYS be true, but you would have to do a bit more work to prove it. With ANY pair of C and H that fits the given parameters, we'll end up with a T that is less than both. Since C is the faster rate (in this example, 3 hours to fill a bucket is faster than 6 hours to fill a bucket), if we divide C by 2 and H by 2, then those rates DOUBLE (it would then take just 1.5 hours and 3 hours, respectively, to fill the bucket). That clearly gives us one values that is LESS than the current value of T and one that is MORE than the current value of T.
Eliminate Answer A.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 19:13
gmatpunjabi wrote:
In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures leak. The cold-water leak alone would fill an empty bucket in c hours and the hot-water leak alone would fill the same bucket in h hours, where c<h. If both fixtures began to leak at the same time into the empty bucket at their respective constant rates and consequently it took t hours to fill the bucket, which of the following must be true?

I. 0 < t < h
II. c < t < h
III. c/2 < t < h/2

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) I and III

We can create the equation:

1/c + 1/h = 1/t

If we let c = 2 and h = 3, we have:

1/2 + 1/3 = 3/6 + 2/6 = 5/6.

So we see that t = 1/(5/6) = 6/5 = 1.2.

So we have t < c < h, so statement I is correct and statement II is not.

Let’s now analyze statement III.

c/2 = 2/2 = 1

h/2 = 3/2 = 1.5

Thus:

c/2 < t < h/2

Answer: E

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Director
Director
D
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 05:49
gmatpunjabi wrote:

I. 0 < t < h
II. c < t < h
III. c/2 < t < h/2

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) I and III

If 2 c are working, T = c/2
If 2 h are working, T = h/2

Therefore, if both c and h are working, then c/2 < T < h/2

1) Covers the whole range. MBT
2) Doesn't cover c/2 to c. Not MBT
3) Covers the whole range as calculated above. MBT

ANSWER: E

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2019, 05:50
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2019, 05:50

In a certain bathtub, both the cold-water and the hot-water fixtures

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics