GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 17:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Nov 2018, 03:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (00:55) correct 54% (01:00) wrong based on 1678 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

(A) by using the company's earnings and to profit

(B) by using the companies' earnings and by profiting

(C) using the companies' earnings and profiting

(D) with the company's earnings, profiting

(E) with the companies' earnings and to profit

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/07/business/all-dressed-up-and-no-place-to-go.html

Investment bankers, corporate executives and Wall Street firms have all jumped into the lucrative game staked out by such well-known firms as Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Company and Forstmann Little & Company. In a leveraged buyout, known as an L. B. O., investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt with the companies' earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

Originally posted by joemama142000 on 24 Nov 2005, 18:55.
Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Nov 2018, 03:03, edited 5 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 12:27
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

First, the original question:
2) In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.
A. by using the company's earnings and to profit
B. by using the companies' earnings and by profiting
C. using the companies' earnings and profiting
D. with the company's earnings, profiting
E. with the companies' earnings and to profit

First of all, you are perfectly right: company's refers to something belonging to one company, and companies' refers to something belonging to more than one company. Absolutely true.

Without even delving into the singular/plural thing, notice we could deduce the correct answer from (a) completing the correct parallel structure --- two infinitives "to pay" // "to profit", and (b) the idiomatic usage "paying with" something, not "paying by using" something --- I pay with money, I don't pay by using money. Just those two alone are enough to isolate answer E.

Nevertheless, you ask an excellent question. How do we know for a fact that we are talking about plural companies at that point in the sentence?

Well, first of all, the first part of the sentence mentions the plural --- "buying companies". If the sentence were going to switch from plural to singular, it would have to somehow signal that shift. For example: "Every day I meet dozens of new people, and I ask each one about his . . . " The word "each" is a typically way to signal that the attention has shifted from plural to singular. We have no such signal here.

More important -- when companies are mentioned again toward the end of the sentence --- "resale of the companies" --- it's plural. If company is plural before the underlined portion and plural after the underline portion, it has to be plural in the underlined portion. The GMAT simply does not swap back and forth from singular to plural like that in a single sentence without practically renting billboard space to advertise the change.

Also, think about the real world scenario. If I buy one company in a leveraged buyout, I use that one company's earnings to pay my debt. If I buy fifteen companies, I use the earnings of all 15 companies to pay my debt. (Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember the feeding frenzy of leveraged buyouts in the 1980s.) There is nothing incongruous in discussing "companies' earnings", especially if one person is gobbling up the earnings of several companies at once.

OK, does all that answer you question? Does that all make sense? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2009, 11:39
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt (by using the company's earnings and to profit) richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

Explanation:
-----------------------
A. by using the company's earnings and to profit ---> Incorrect use of apostrophe in the word company's.
B. by using the companies' earnings and by profiting ---> Incorrect. Not parallel in structure.
C. using the companies' earnings and profiting ---> Incorrect. Not parallel in structure.
D. with the company's earnings, profiting ---> Incorrect use of apostrophe in the word company's.
E. with the companies' earnings and to profit ---> Correct. It uses the apostrophe in the correct place to indicate that companies are involved and NOT just a company. It is also parallel in structure (...to pay off the debt... ...to profit richly...)

JohnLewis1980 has given the correct explanation for the second part.
-----------------------

Clearly option E.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2009, 07:55
ritula wrote:
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

Hi mates,

IMO E

To maintain //ism, the last part of the answer should be "to profit", therefore just A and E left

"hoping to pay [...] and to profit [...]

Now, between A and E, E seems to be simpler than A, so, E

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2009, 00:04
It's E. Because the investors "hope" to pay off the debt and profit richly. Also observe the 3/2 split - eliminate company's because the parent clause is talking about companies.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2009, 21:44
investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt with the companys' earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

The inverstors hope to pay off... and to profile richly later is correct parallelism.

investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and by profiting by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.
If you make "earnings" and "profiting" parallel, it will mean that the investors hope to pay off debt by selling the company later. Moreover "by profiting" makes the setence meaning awakward. If inversters hoped to pay off the debt using the profit the correct sentence should have been-

In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and by the profit of later resale of the companies or their divisions.

Consider kudos for good post.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2009, 05:43
I choose E

E : In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt with the companies' earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

The question falls in parallelism category. 'to pay off' is parallel ' to profit' . ' with the companies' earnings' is parallel to ' by the later resale', they have same structure, preposition + N.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2009, 02:59

IMO E ..... 'to profit' parallel to 'to buy'

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2011, 21:18
The issue is parallelism and possessive form of a plural.
A-author is taking about several companies;hence,we have have to use plural possessive of companies,not company possessive..[/incorrect]]
B-issue remain in possessive realm with parallelism issue-[color=#BF0000][/incorrect]
C-possessive issue is solved ,but parallelism issue remain. comparing earning to profiting [color=#BF0000]incorrect

D-Ditto as one,participle is incorrectly used there[color=#BF0000][/incorrect]
E-solve both issues and parallel To pay .....To profit.......correct
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2011, 09:07
The speculators or those heavy borrowers of money for leveraged buy-outs do so in the hope 1) to close the loans with the profits tht the companies earn and 2) then to profit hugely by the sale of those companies. Thus there are two functions of their hoping (to pay off and to profit), which are required to be //. Any choice using profiting is therefore grammatically incorrect. Only A and E cross the mark. In A, ‘the company’s’ is grammatically wrong since it is singular. We need the plural possessive ‘the companies’. E is right.

This is as simple as that IMO The strategy is to simplify the issue to the core rather than complicate.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 10:17
2) In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

please correct my understanding company's is an apostrophe form for the singular company. companies is plural..if this is the case why is option E right.. I understand company's earnings is stressing on a how the earnings of a company can be used to pay off debts

Thanks
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2012, 22:09
guys for the answer to be either A or E, should'nt the construction be a bit different; should'nt the construction ".....earnings, and to profit.."
By using the commas, the parallelism seems straight forward but without comma, "hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by later resale of the companies or their divisions." seems to modify the preceding clause.
verbal experts, please explain where I am missing.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 02:18

Investors are buying several companies and not one company. Therefore, the possessive noun company’s is erroneous in any given choice. So I am removing A and D straightaway. Among B, C and E:
The intended meaning is that investors buy companies, and hope to do two things namely 1. To pay off the debts using the earnings and 2. to profit richly by selling wholly or in part when the companies turn debt-free. As such, ‘by profiting’ is not part of paying off the debts. That is the reason ‘using’ and ‘profiting’ cannot go parallel. What should be parallel are the infinitives ‘to pay off’ and ‘to profit', the two intended goals of the leveraged buyout.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 09:09
What is the difference between with and by using?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 09:18
miliya23 wrote:
What is the difference between with and by using?

Hi,
with can be used for various purposes..
here 'with' is basically telling us 'using'.. Q uses this form
with could be used to express feelings such as with anger etc..
'with' could also be used to show togetherness.. i was with him etc

By is to show means or method.. Please come by air at the earliest..
Also to show action in PASSIVE voice..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 20:29
Hi All,

Request to explain the complete structure of the question . What each line signifies and then the use of the option to co-relate to the structure .

Regards ,

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 11:28
abhisheknandy08 wrote:
Hi All,

Request to explain the complete structure of the question . What each line signifies and then the use of the option to co-relate to the structure .

The original meaning of the sentence is that the investors hope two things: to pay off debt and to profit. Only option A and E maintain this parallelism.

B. Implies that the investors hope to pay off debt in 2 ways: 1. by using and 2.by profiting. This is not the intended meaning.
The action "pay off" and "profit" should be parallel, not "use" and "profit".

C. Same reason as that in B.

D. Implies that the investors borrow money because: 1. they hope (hoping) and 2. they profit (profiting). The action "pay off" and "profit" should be parallel, not "hope"and "profit". Moreover the conjunction "and" is missing before "profiting". The first part of the sentence mentions many companies whereas the latter part deals with one particular company (..with the company's...)

A. The first part of the sentence mentions many companies whereas the latter part deals with one particular company (..by using the company's...). Moreover option E is more concise than option A since it uses "with" rather than "by using".
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 03:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy &nbs [#permalink] 07 Nov 2018, 03:03

In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap