GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 18:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Nov 2018, 00:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (03:08) correct 48% (01:52) wrong based on 834 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

A. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol.

C. When compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol.

D. Compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol.

E. Compared to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the intensive third Conference of the Parties' negotiations among both developed and developing nations led to the creating of the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

Originally posted by thelosthippie on 06 May 2013, 02:55.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Nov 2018, 00:10, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2013, 02:25
Correct Answer: A

All answers choices begin with a modifying phrase that makes a comparison. In every case, something needs to be logically compared to or contrasted with previous "declarations". In overly complex and modifier-laden sentences like this, look to Slash and Burn unnecessary modifiers to identify the comparison being made. Answers B through D all illogically compare or contrast "declarations" with "the...Conference". Answer E compares "declarations" with "negotiations". Only the original sentence, answer A, correctly compares "declarations" to "Kyoto Protocol" (a specific declaration).
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2013, 04:46
thelosthippie wrote:
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

Correct idioms:
In contrast to/with x, y...
Compared to/with x, y...
"to" stresses similarities, "with" stresses differences. Not sure if GMAT allows for it.
C is out.
The original sentence informs that previous conferences didn't create something.
You can say "In contrast to/with x, y didn't".
You cannot say "compared to/with x, y didn't". You can compare somthing better to something worse, but you cannot compare something existing to something nonexisting.
D and E are out.
I got to this point and claim this problem a killer.

In contrast to the declarations [participial modifier], [a parallel here]

Quote:
A. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

The third conference of something created legally binding obligations, which are contrast to the declarations. "Declarations made" to "created obligations". I am picking A.
Quote:
B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol.

Not parallel.

This is a problem that I would give up on the GMAT :).

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2013, 05:41
This is rather leading to a muddle. It is clear that the declarations are being compared and contrasted. They should be compared with something similar; As per terms of modification, whatever is modified must be placed next to the comma, to assert proper modification. the correct sentence structure should use a passive form such as--- binding obligations were created. But I don’t find such things in this example. On the other hand, declarations are contrasted with the third conference; the third conference is not a licit comparison with declarations. it must be noted that the third conference is just a part of proceedings of the KYOTO protocol, named after the place where proceedings were held. The third conference, a proceeding, cannot be compared with the declarations, an outcome of the proceeding per se; Anywya thanks to Veritas for giving us a thought provoking practice stuff. This is my honest opinion.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 00:07
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations. Looks good

B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol. Incorrect: "their" has no clear referant

C. When compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol. Incorrect. As per the sentence "creating" modifies nations which is not the intended meaning

D.Compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol. : Incorrect. As per the sentence "creating" modifies nations which is not the intended meaning

E. Compared to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the intensive third Conference of the Parties' negotiations among both developed and developing nations led to the creating of the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

OA is A
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 01:10
Hello Experts,

aragonn, GMATNinjaTwo, sudarshan22, GMATNinja, broall, hazelnut, generis

Can you please help to understand how the comparison in option A is parallel? As per ,u understanding, in option A also "declarations" is compared to the conference. Please advise.

Regards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 01:31
Hello Sir
I have doubt.how is among correct here?
We have 2 set of countries only so it must be between.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 09:07
ArupRS - Clearly, the sentence is comparing the declarations with X. Lets find that X in all the choices. I see two split on this ground.
B, C, and D are comparing declarations to "third Conference of the Parties". -- Cant be right.
A and E are comparing declarations to "Kyoto Protocol" and "negotiations", respectively. Either can be, I am not sure here, But with right meaning comparison can be right. What i dont like about E is this part "led to the creating of", "creation of" would have been a better choice.
Also Protocol created legally binding obligations is better than the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

On those lines I would select A as better choice.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 23:27
aragonn wrote:
ArupRS - Clearly, the sentence is comparing the declarations with X. Lets find that X in all the choices. I see two split on this ground.
B, C, and D are comparing declarations to "third Conference of the Parties". -- Cant be right.
A and E are comparing declarations to "Kyoto Protocol" and "negotiations", respectively. Either can be, I am not sure here, But with right meaning comparison can be right. What i dont like about E is this part "led to the creating of", "creation of" would have been a better choice.
Also Protocol created legally binding obligations is better than the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

On those lines I would select A as better choice.

aragonn thank you for the explanation. it is quite lucid. My next doubt is - the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol - how should I break this sentence /
Is it like - the Kyoto protocol of the third conference of the parties ?

regards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2018, 05:27
I am surprised why no one is discussing the presence of "had" in option B), C) and, D). I feel we don't require any past perfect tense here. This leaves us with option A) and E). Though I am not convinced with either option, A) states the negotiations were intensive whereas, the E) states Conference was intensive. As per the original meaning (A), I would prefer A) as the correct answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con &nbs [#permalink] 18 Nov 2018, 05:27

In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap