It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2008, 17:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are
E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Fellas I have OA but not convinced with OA, so need your help in this.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-as/Like [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2008, 17:44
When we compare two nouns we use 'like' and when we compare two clauses we use 'as'.
in the given sentence we are not comparing Nouns ( Hungry and much of the Europe) but we are comparing two Clauses ('in Hungry' and 'in much of Eastern'). thats why 'as' is the correct option. So, D and E out.

Now, we should use 'in' instead of 'with' to make it parallel. B out.

Which refers to things and them refers to humans...here we are talking abt 'women' sso 'them' is the correct choice. A out.
IMO OA is C

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2008, 03:49
rishi2377 wrote:
When we compare two nouns we use 'like' and when we compare two clauses we use 'as'.
in the given sentence we are not comparing Nouns ( Hungry and much of the Europe) but we are comparing two Clauses ('in Hungry' and 'in much of Eastern'). thats why 'as' is the correct option. So, D and E out.

Which refers to things and them refers to humans...here we are talking abt 'women' sso 'them' is the correct choice. A out.
IMO OA is C

I agree totally with the explaination but are we really comparing clauses here. Clauses are supposed to a subject verb arrangement.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2008, 08:42
rishi2377 wrote:

IMO OA is C

I thought clause means sub+verb, where is the verb in -- In hungry?Care to clarify this?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 181 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2008, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which
are in [ Which only modifies things – eliminate it]

B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in [
Agreement issue a portion of totality is always plural – in such as “work” is correct verb
Eliminate it
]

C. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in

D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are [
Two Issues
1. Comparing two different entities – “In hungry” like in much of Eastern Europe is a better choice; 2. Agreement issue a portion of totality is always plural – in such as “work” is correct verb
Eliminate it
]

E. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in
[Two Issues
1. Comparing two different entities – “In hungry” like in much of Eastern Europe is a better choice; Eliminate it
]

Answer: C

Begin with, I too stumbled on this. So I though of to research the role of "as" and I found following information from Encarta Dictionary. Hope this helps!

As: A grammatical word indicating simultaneity, causality, comparison, or the identity or function of somebody or something
Examples:
1. once again, as I started my interview, the telephone rang.
2. I will drop the book off, as I will be passing your house anyway.
3. Here, take this pencil as it’s sharpen than yours.
4. Data is stored on the disk as magnetic pattern.
5. It is stored much as music is stored on an audiotape or cassette.

1. At the same that
Conjunction used to indicate that something happens at the same time as something else.
Ex: A woman stands near the water’s edge as two large golden retrievevrs frolic in the river.

2. What
Conjunction that which
Ex: Do as you like!

3. because
Conjunction seeing that
Ex: I ‘m not sure where we are in math, as I’ve been absent for the last week.

4. used for comparison
Conjunction used to compare things, people or situations
Ex: He is almost as tall as she.

5. in the same way that
Conjunction used to indicate that something happens or exists in the same way as something else.

Ex: Her attitude to life was very practical, as her mother’s had been.

Kudos [?]: 181 [1], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1057 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2008, 13:03
marshpa wrote:
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are

Fellas I have OA but not convinced with OA, so need your help in this.

marshpa wrote:
rishi2377 wrote:

IMO OA is C

I thought clause means sub+verb, where is the verb in -- In hungry?Care to clarify this?

C)
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in middle management and light industry

try to rewritting the above sentence.

In Hungary an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in middle management and light industry , as [overwehlming proper... women work] in much of Eastern Europe

"overwehlming proper... women work "-- is understood after "as"

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2008, 14:09
Guys,
Can you find the main verb in C?
What's wrong with A? I can't find anything wrong with A.

haveaniceday

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2008, 14:19
Never mind, guys. Oh now I see. The subject is "an overwhelming proportion of women"
I thought "an overwhelming proportion of women work" was the subject.

haveaniceday

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 06:35
These are good discussions, I agree C for me

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 07:35
Shouldn't it be " many of whom" instead of "many of them"

please clarify

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 08:43
bdumpala wrote:
Shouldn't it be " many of whom" instead of "many of them"

please clarify

they -- subject pronoun
them - object pronoun.

here "them" is object pronoun of preposition "of".

I don't see any problem in the subject "many of them"
Why do you think it should be "many of whom"????

whom, which, who are relative pronouns generally used to link the two phrases or clauses. (are also can be used for interrogative pronouns.)

we can say:
an overwhelming proportion of women, who are in middle management
-- here clearly "who" JOIN the two phrases/clauses. Its appropriate here.

An objective personal pronoun indicates that the pronoun is acting as an object of a verb, compound verb, preposition, or infinitive phrase. The objective personal pronouns are: "me," "you," "her," "him," "it," "us," "you," and "them."

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 21:55
hanumayamma wrote:
A. as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which
are in [ Which only modifies things – eliminate it]

B. as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in [
Agreement issue a portion of totality is always plural – in such as “work” is correct verb
Eliminate it
]

D. like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are [
Two Issues
1. Comparing two different entities – “In hungry” like in much of Eastern Europe is a better choice; 2. Agreement issue a portion of totality is always plural – in such as “work” is correct verb
Eliminate it
]

[Two Issues
1. Comparing two different entities – “In hungry” like in much of Eastern Europe is a better choice; Eliminate it
]

Answer: C

Begin with, I too stumbled on this. So I though of to research the role of "as" and I found following information from Encarta Dictionary. Hope this helps!

As: A grammatical word indicating simultaneity, causality, comparison, or the identity or function of somebody or something
Examples:
1. once again, as I started my interview, the telephone rang.
2. I will drop the book off, as I will be passing your house anyway.
3. Here, take this pencil as it’s sharpen than yours.
4. Data is stored on the disk as magnetic pattern.
5. It is stored much as music is stored on an audiotape or cassette.

1. At the same that
Conjunction used to indicate that something happens at the same time as something else.
Ex: A woman stands near the water’s edge as two large golden retrievevrs frolic in the river.

2. What
Conjunction that which
Ex: Do as you like!

3. because
Conjunction seeing that
Ex: I ‘m not sure where we are in math, as I’ve been absent for the last week.

4. used for comparison
Conjunction used to compare things, people or situations
Ex: He is almost as tall as she.

5. in the same way that
Conjunction used to indicate that something happens or exists in the same way as something else.

Ex: Her attitude to life was very practical, as her mother’s had been.

By concentrating on grammar rules as exemplified by the GMAT guides we are narrowing our scope. There several other ways of using as as shown in this post.
Thanks a lot

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 22:40
I agree with C.

But, had there been an option "like in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in" .. would it be correct ?

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2008, 11:39
Sorry marshpa, I was out of town so couldn't logg in to clarify doubts regarding verb of the clause.
Anyway I guess Suresh has clarified it and I completely agree with him.
Just to add my two cents, We use 'Like' strictly to compare Nouns only, for everythings else (clauses, phrases etc) 'As' is the proper word.

Thx.

Re: SC-as/Like   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2008, 11:39

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap