GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 30 May 2020, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 7: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 17:40
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

(A) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
Can't use "which" to refer to people.
We may only use who/ that (when subject), that/who/whom (When object), or whose (when possessive)

(B) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
As with is incorrect. It should be "as in"
(C) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in

Incorrect comparison: Comparing a Country "Eastern Europe" to what takes place in a country "In Hungary"
(D) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are

(E) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 07:06
notahug wrote:
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

(A) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in

(B) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in

(C) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in

(D) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are

(E) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

1. In general, when using 'as' for comparison, the 'as' needs to be followed by a clause.
But I also found(in my notes, though I forget this part) that 'as' may be followed by a prepositional phrase. Is there ellipsis at work in these situations?

2. Is there a way to determine whether 'like' or 'as' is preferred in a particular situation? (I know that 'Like' is used to compare nouns while 'AS' is used to compare actions)

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , other experts - please enlighten
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 07:52
Skywalker18 wrote:
notahug wrote:

1. In general, when using 'as' for comparison, the 'as' needs to be followed by a clause.
But I also found(in my notes, though I forget this part) that 'as' may be followed by a prepositional phrase. Is there ellipsis at work in these situations?

2. Is there a way to determine whether 'like' or 'as' is preferred in a particular situation? (I know that 'Like' is used to compare nouns while 'AS' is used to compare actions)

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , other experts - please enlighten

Use of like is limited. It is a preposition so it can connect nouns/pronouns only. Use of as, a conjunction, is much more versatile. It connects phrases/clauses. In some situations you can use either depending on how you structure the sentence.

e.g. Hungary, like much of Eastern Europe, has an overwhelming ...
or
In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming ...

In Hungary, like in much of Eastern Europe... would be wrong. Both 'like' and 'in' are prepositions.

Here is a post on the usage of like vs as: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2016/0 ... e-vs-gmat/

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Rotman '22 (S)
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 11:33
SaraiGMAT confirming this is a real GMATprep practice test 2 question. The OA is (C)
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 01:07
I am confused with option A with the usage of which. I understand that we cannot use which to refer human but here I looked at which referring to the proportion of women as : Many (women) of which (large proportion) are .... here usage of which makes sense to me and this is the reason I marked A as correct choice. Please help me understand the same.
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 02:44
KarishmaChauhan wrote:
Many (women) of which (large proportion)

Hi Karishma, women of large proportion doesn't make sense; if anything, it should be the other way round: large proportion of women.
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2020, 02:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 46 posts ] 

In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics