GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 03:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 11:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:58) correct 67% (01:57) wrong based on 457 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita is significantly lower in neighborhoods in which the population is racially mixed, that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belong to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone who he regards as a neighbor.

A. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belong to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone who he regards as a neighbor
B. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belong to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone whom he regards as a neighbor
C. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belongs to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone whom he regards as a neighbor
D. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belongs to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone who he regards as a neighbor
E. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belongs to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone whom he regards to be a neighbor

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 20:00
against someone who he regards is wrong. It should be Whom. Eliminate A & E.

no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belong to is wrong(SV Agreement). belong should be singular belongs. Eliminate B.

In E, whom he regards to be a neighbor is unidiomatic. regards as is more appropriate. Eliminate E.

Only left C. C is the correct answer.

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 21:50
I got this question wrong , can some please elaborate why we have to use singular verb belongs in C and what is wrong with B.
Thanks

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 22:42
IMO
One-third of area's inhabitants- singular ELIMINATE A and B.
someone who he regards as a neighbor- who should be 'whom' ELIMINATE D.
whom he regards to be a neighbor is unidiomatic ELIMINATE E
Hence
IMO C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 22:42
Expert, please clear the doubt..

No more than one third of area's inhabitant's should use singular or plural verb.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 01:58
One third of the area's inhabitants in singular. Kindly explain why?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 03:08
I do not understand why the phrase 'one third of the area's inhabitants' should use a singular verb. Kindly explain.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 03:41
RMD007 wrote:

No more than one third of area's inhabitant's should use singular or plural verb.
I think it should be plural. One third of the area’s inhabitants belong sounds way better than one third of the area’s inhabitants belongs.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 03:54
Hello,

There is a lot of confusion here for belong vs belongs.

I also believe it should be belong. As 1/3 of inhabitants could be plural. Hence, it should be belong.

But as per the OA given, it seems to be incorrect.

Can you please here?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 19:04
Here the verb belong/belongs refers to the subject 'Inhabitants', which is plural. Hence IMO, the correct verb to be used is 'belong' and hence the correct answer is Option B.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 22:15
The answer should be B in my opinion. As per my understanding, whenever the subject lies in the 'of' kind of prepositional phrases that express quantity of some kind - some of the stones (stones is the subject), most of the students (students is the subject even though it is a part of prepositional phrase because together the phrase describes quantity), two of the five medals (medals is the subject) - the subject is the noun of the prepositional phrase. This concept is present in the e-GMAT course. Please let me know if the understanding is wrong.
SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 22:36
himanshumalhotra1990 wrote:
The answer should be B in my opinion. As per my understanding, whenever the subject lies in the 'of' kind of prepositional phrases that express quantity of some kind - some of the stones (stones is the subject), most of the students (students is the subject even though it is a part of prepositional phrase because together the phrase describes quantity), two of the five medals (medals is the subject) - the subject is the noun of the prepositional phrase. This concept is present in the e-GMAT course. Please let me know if the understanding is wrong.
I've seen others also mention it, but that "concept" is probably just an oversimplification. For example, in two of the five medals, it is not correct to say that medals will decide the verb just because it is the object of the preposition. Consider one of the five medals. Clearly we can't say one of the five medals are.

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 03:37
arvind910619 wrote:
I got this question wrong , can some please elaborate why we have to use singular verb belongs in C and what is wrong with B.
Thanks

RMD007 wrote:

anshulmishra08@gmail.com wrote:
One third of the area's inhabitants in singular. Kindly explain why?

adityapareshshah wrote:
Here the verb belong/belongs refers to the subject 'Inhabitants', which is plural. Hence IMO, the correct verb to be used is 'belong' and hence the correct answer is Option B.

Option C is definitely wrong. For a quantity word, such as a fraction or a percentage, the associated noun determines whether it is singular or plural. For example:

One-third of the pizza IS eaten.... correct (Pizza singular, so the fraction word "one-third" is singular)
One-third of the pizza slices ARE eaten....correct (Pizza slices plural, so the fraction word "one-third" is plural)

AjiteshArun wrote:
I've seen others also mention it, but that "concept" is probably just an oversimplification. For example, in two of the five medals, it is not correct to say that medals will decide the verb just because it is the object of the preposition. Consider one of the five medals. Clearly we can't say one of the five medals are.

However this rule applies for quantity words such as fractions / percentages, but not for actual numbers. For example:
One of the five pizzas IS eaten.... correct
Two of the five pizzas ARE eaten.... correct
Number of Pizzas eaten = one/two - one/two are numbers, not fractions / percentages - hence the rule of associated noun does not apply here.
Dear AjiteshArun, hope you would agree with my view.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 11:02
SajjadAhmad: Can you please update the OA? Looks like most of the people, including experts, agree that it should be B.
SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 11:44
SajjadAhmad: Can you please update the OA? Looks like most of the people, including experts, agree that it should be B.

Official Explanation:

The underlined portion of this sentence contains two errors: a subject/verb
disagreement and a misused pronoun. The subject of the clause is one third,
which is singular, so it requires the singular verb belongs. Who should be whom. If
you have trouble determining whether to use who or whom, restate the sentence
substituting he or him for who or whom. In this sentence, someone regards him as a
neighbor—since it’s him, use whom. These two errors should allow you to quickly
eliminate answer choices that contain one or both of them.
A No. Belong should be belongs to agree with one third and who should be whom.
B No. This choice corrects the pronoun misuse but does not fix the subject/verb
disagreement in belong.
C Yes. This choice uses the correct verb belongs and the correct pronoun whom.
D No. Belongs is correct, but who is not.
E No. Although this choice corrects the subject/verb disagreement and the
pronoun misuse, it introduces a new error, regards … to be. The correct
idiomatic expression is regards … as.

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 12:04
With reference to Manhattan GMAT, below sentence is correct ;
Half of the pie is xxxx..., and half of the slices are xxxx...
Then how come option C is correct.

Sent from my D6502 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 23:49
Apart from the issue of S/V agreement (which I assume should be plural and not singular, based on the explanation provided by sayantanc2k, is the usage of 'whom' correct here? When do you use who and when do you use whom? Can anyone explain this?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 01:14
SajjadAhmad wrote:
In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita is significantly lower in neighborhoods in which the population is racially mixed, that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belong to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone who he regards as a neighbor.

A. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belong to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone who he regards as a neighbor
B. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belong to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone whom he regards as a neighbor
C. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belongs to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone whom he regards as a neighbor
D. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belongs to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone who he regards as a neighbor
E. that is, no more than one third of the area’s inhabitants belongs to the same ethnic group; it is theorized that a person is less likely to commit a hate crime against someone whom he regards to be a neighbor

How can "one third of the inhabitants" be singular? Here we care about inhabitants, and “one third of” is meant to specify how many of them there are.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 02:53
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Answer Choice B

Correct use of pronoun "Whom"

Subject Not more than 1/3 of Inhabitants plural must go with plural verb belong.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 00:47
sayantanc2k wrote:
However this rule applies for quantity words such as fractions / percentages, but not for actual numbers. For example:
One of the five pizzas IS eaten.... correct
Two of the five pizzas ARE eaten.... correct
Number of Pizzas eaten = one/two - one/two are numbers, not fractions / percentages - hence the rule of associated noun does not apply here.
Dear AjiteshArun, hope you would agree with my view.
Sounds good. We clearly can't always ignore the portion before of.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita &nbs [#permalink] 18 May 2017, 00:47

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

In most major metropolitan areas, the number of hate crimes per capita

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap