GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 23:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

January 26, 2019

January 26, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

In order to promote off-season business, Mt. Dunmore Lodge

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
In order to promote off-season business, Mt. Dunmore Lodge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 19:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:37) correct 40% (01:58) wrong based on 574 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to promote off-season business, Mt. Dunmore Lodge made the following "Welcome Back" offer to their winter guests: guests who rent a room for at least a week during ski season can come back during the summer and get 25% off the standard summer price of any room they rent. After the summer passed, the owners of the lodge determined that the majority of their guests had taken advantage of the "Welcome Back" offer and paid the reduced rates. However, they were surprised to find they still managed to rent more rooms at full price than they did at the discount rate.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the apparent discrepancy ?

(A) Most of the guests who stayed at Mt. Dunmore Lodge during the winter did not stay for a full week.
(B) Those guests taking advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount were more likely to bring their families with them than were those guests who were paying full price.
(C) Some of the guests who received the "Welcome Back" discount also received a 10% rate reduction through their auto club.
(D) In order to pay for the construction of a new gymnasium and a new pool, the owners of the lodge raised their summer prices considerably.
(E) On average, guests who took advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount spent more money at the hotel on additional goods and services than guests who paid full price for their rooms.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Re: From Kaplan 800 cr 7 p34  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 22:59
Please post the OE. I'm not fully convinced about this.

I eliminated C, D, and E. It's reasonable to eliminate A as well, but I'm missing the point in B. Maybe it's late, or maybe it's that Kaplan isn't great at writing these questions. Or maybe it's just me! *Shudder*
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 23:10
Same here.. I'm not fully convinced with B but it sounds better than other options. The challenge that I faced with the question is "Time". As I was not convinced with all the 5 choices, I kept on analyzing...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2012, 00:03
This is my understanding.

let's assume that 400 people came to the resort during the summer.

According to the passage, the majority of the guests during the summer had taken advantage of the "Welcome Back" offer".
In other words, the majority of the people who came during the summer are those who took advantage of the "welcome back" offer.

again, let's assume that out of 400 guests, 300 are those who took advantage of the "welcomback" offer.
In other words, 100 guests are those who didn't take advantage of the "welcome back" offer.

If those 300 guests are family, they probably use much fewer rooms than they would have used if they were single.

again, assume that those 300 guests are familes that are consisted of four people.
Then, those 300 guests would use 300/4 rooms. vs 100 rooms used by the 100 guests who are single.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2012, 00:36
I reached the right answer of this argument by POE although I do not insure too much about choice B. So, please post the OE for this question.

Here my explanation for my POE process.

eybrj2 wrote:
In order to promote off-season business, Mt. Dunmore Lodge made the following "Welcome Back" offer to their winter guests: guests who rent a room for at least a week during ski season can come back during the summer and get 25% off the standard summer price of any room they rent. After the summer passed, the owners of the lodge determined that the majority of their guests had taken advantage of the "Welcome Back" offer and paid the reduced rates. However, they were surprised to find they still managed to rent more rooms at full price than they did at the discount rate.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the apparent discrepancy ?

(A) Most of the guests who stayed at Mt. Dunmore Lodge during the winter did not stay for a full week. => This's wrong because the argument said "majority of their guests had taken advantage of the "Welcome back" offer, so these kind of guests is not in the target of "Welcome back" offer.
(B) Those guests taking advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount were more likely to bring their families with them than were those guests who were paying full price. => doe not find any errors
(C) Some of the guests who received the "Welcome Back" discount also received a 10% rate reduction through their auto club. => irrelevant to the question of the argument
(D) In order to pay for the construction of a new gymnasium and a new pool, the owners of the lodge raised their summer prices considerably. => out of scope. The argument talked about the guests, but not about the facilities in the lodge the owners have
(E) On average, guests who took advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount spent more money at the hotel on additional goods and services than guests who paid full price for their rooms. => This happened maybe because the took advantage guests because they got the discount. This answer still not explain why spending more money on other goods and services.

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2012, 00:55
If anybody is interested I found the OA and OE here : http://books.google.co.in/books?id=3wDa ... &q&f=false

Was a nightmare to fid this one..Hope you guys appreciate it.
The OA is B. And it is a fact that A is wrong as @eybrj2 wrote

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2012, 20:12
Believe question asks about room occupancy not prices.. hence B seems correct

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GRE 1: Q720 V610
WE: Information Technology (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In order to promote off-season business, Mt. Dunmore Lodge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2012, 13:20
i agree, the situation describes the increased occupancy and not prices

Everybody says I'm Fine!

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Business Development (Insurance)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2014, 22:46
vandygrad11 wrote:
Please post the OE. I'm not fully convinced about this.

I eliminated C, D, and E. It's reasonable to eliminate A as well, but I'm missing the point in B. Maybe it's late, or maybe it's that Kaplan isn't great at writing these questions. Or maybe it's just me! *Shudder*

yes vandygrad u r absolutely ryt as I also faced "ditto" probs as u had faced while solving this ques.

The Mind is everything . What you think you become. - Lord Buddha

Consider giving KUDOS if you appreciate my post !!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 22:21

If we read the stem carefully than we get to know few points (1) majority of guests took "welcome back" offer (2) guest stayed for at least a week
and (3) in summer rooms occupancy were more for full price room than discounted rooms
Now look at the options :

(A) Most of the guests who stayed at Mt. Dunmore Lodge during the winter did not stay for a full week. Wrong: As the stem tell us that majority of the guest stayed for a week and had "welcome back" offer this option can straight be eliminated. "Most" is strong word.

(B) Those guests taking advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount were more likely to bring their families with them than were those guests who were paying full price. Correct: there may be possibility that the guest who had "welcome back" offer, visited during summer with more family member

(C) Some of the guests who received the "Welcome Back" discount also received a 10% rate reduction through their auto club. Wrong: Out of scope of the stem the discount on auto club in non-specific.

(D) In order to pay for the construction of a new gymnasium and a new pool, the owners of the lodge raised their summer prices considerably: Wrong: Owners may have increased the pay for a room but it is about occupancy rather than about revenue, so irrelevant.
(E) On average, guests who took advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount spent more money at the hotel on additional goods and services than guests who paid full price for their rooms. Wrong : same as D
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:58
Nice question

ANSWER IS B

Reading in a hurry will make many people think that B is saying the opposite of what is required in the question. It's not true.
Option B tells us that discount people brought more family members. Obviously these new people will need more rooms to stay.
Also keep in mind that the 25 % discount is only for the older customers that stayed in winter ski season and not for their families, THE ARGUMENT CLEARLY SAYS " guests who rent a room for at least a week during ski season can come back during the summer and get 25% off the standard summer price of any room they rent". ROOM .... (singular)....... not ROOMS (Plural).... The discount is valid for the old customer only for any room he/she wants. THE DISCOUNT IS NOT APPLICABLE ON ALL ROOMS EVEN IF THEY ARE BOOKED BY OLD CUSTOMER. For example A man can book 4 rooms but he will get discount on one room and pay full price of three rooms. In these three rooms his family members will stay. Therefore the new customers (although they are family members of the older customers) will still pay at full price and since such customers are more, therefore more rooms were rented at full price.

eybrj2 wrote:

(A) Most of the guests who stayed at Mt. Dunmore Lodge during the winter did not stay for a full week.
(B) Those guests taking advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount were more likely to bring their families with them than were those guests who were paying full price.
(C) Some of the guests who received the "Welcome Back" discount also received a 10% rate reduction through their auto club.
(D) In order to pay for the construction of a new gymnasium and a new pool, the owners of the lodge raised their summer prices considerably.
(E) On average, guests who took advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount spent more money at the hotel on additional goods and services than guests who paid full price for their rooms.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 25 Jul 2016, 09:41.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 25 Jul 2016, 11:58, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 10:23
eybrj2 wrote:

Such a poor quality question. Had it been friends rather than families in option B it would have made some sense. As families will still get discounts but friends coming for the first time in summers might take full priced rooms.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 01:03

For me, A and B were two option.
they were surprised to find they still managed to rent more rooms at full price than they did at the discount rate

it can happen if :-
1> if there were more new customers. So if 100 were old customers who rent a room for at least a week during ski season and claimed for discounted rate, there were 200 new customers this summer season.
Those guests taking advantage of the "Welcome Back" discount were more likely to bring their families with them than were those guests who were paying full price.

Assumption here is :- customers with family will rent more rooms. Why? what if husband comes with their wives. or their children. Do they need to rent more rooms. Might be. We don't know. You can't assume.

or Most of the guests who stayed at Mt. Dunmore Lodge during the winter did not stay for a full week. (let say 75 out of 100) so if they didn't stayed for a full week, they are not eligible for discount. so 25 people with discount and out of 75 people, lets assume even if 30 people came back, it's true that they still managed to rent more rooms at full price than they did at the discount rate.

here also you can't assume that 30 people will came back.

i don't think scope of this question limited to people who are eligible for summer discount. if it is written like that (However, they were surprised to find they still managed to rent more rooms at full price than they did at the discount rate by guests who were eligible for discount. so that eliminate possibility of (75 out of 100)
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 09:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In order to promote off-season business, Mt. Dunmore Lodge &nbs [#permalink] 07 Jan 2019, 09:30

In order to promote off-season business, Mt. Dunmore Lodge

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap