Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 01:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (02:40) correct 22% (03:12) wrong based on 156 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in the circle with the center O and AB is a diameter of the circle. Segments AC and OB are equal. If the area of triangle ABC is 8√3, then what is the area of the circle?

A. π
B. 8π
C. 16π
D. 48π
E. 64π

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
circle_inscribed_triangle.gif
circle_inscribed_triangle.gif [ 8.86 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]

D
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Jul 2015, 04:12
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in the circle with the center O and AB is a diameter of the circle. Segments AC and OB are equal. If the area of triangle ABC is 8√3, then what is the area of the circle?

A. π
B. 8π
C. 16π
D. 48π
E. 64π

Attachment:

AC = OB = Radius (r)
and AB = 2*r

ABC is right angle triangle as traingle drawn in Semicircle is always the Right angle triangle with right angle at vertex touching circumference and Hypotenuse at Diameter of circle

Also BC^2 = AB^2 - AC^2 = (2r)^2 - r^2 = 3r^2

i.e. BC = r√3

Area of ABC = (1/2)*BC*AC = (1/2)*r√3*r = 8√3
i.e. r = 4
Area of Circle = π*r^2 = π*4^2 = 16π

Answer: optionC
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Originally posted by GMATinsight on 28 Jul 2015, 04:10.
Last edited by GMATinsight on 28 Jul 2015, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Reviews Badge
Re: In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 04:11
Bunuel wrote:

A. π
B. 8π
C. 16π
D. 48π
E. 64π

Attachment:

IMO: C

Angle in a semi circle = 90. Thus Angle ACB = 90.
AC = OB = r
2AC = AB (OB=radius AB = diameter = 2* radius)
So angles of the triangle will be ABC = 30 , ACB = 90 , BAC = 60.
So sides of the triangle will be AB = 2r AC = r BC = r√3

Area of triangle is 8√3 = 1/2 b*h
base and heights will be the sides of the triangle since it is right angled triangle
8√3 = 1/2 * r * r√3
16 = r^2
r =4 (r=radius)

Area of circle = πr^2
= 16π
Manager
Manager
B
Re: In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 04:21
From the figure it can be seen that the triangle ACB is inscribed within a semicircle. So angle C is 90 degree.
Lets take OB = x , so OA =x (both radius) 2x, Also it is given that AC = OB = x.
For triangle OAC (draw a line ) all sides are equal (OA = AC= OC) so it is an equilateral triangle. So <A = 60degree

The right triangle ACB is thus a 30 60 90 triangle so sides are x, x√3and 2x.
Area of triangle ACB = 0.5 * x * x√3 = 8√3 So x = 4 i.e. radius of the circle is 4

Area of circle = π x * x = 16π

Answer C
Ambarish
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 04:29
Bunuel wrote:

A. π
B. 8π
C. 16π
D. 48π
E. 64π

Attachment:

Given, AB is the diameter of the circle= 2r and AC = OB =r

Let BC = h

Thus is right triangle ABC, right angled at C,

\(r^2+h^2 = (2r)^2\) and from area of the triangle = \(8\sqrt{3}\) = \(0.5*h*r\) ----> \(h = \frac{16\sqrt{3}}{r}\)

Thus, \(r^2+ (\frac{16\sqrt{3}}{r})^2 = 2r^2\) ----> \(r^4 = 256\) ---> \(r = 4\)

Thus the area of the circle = \(\pi*4^2\) = \(16\pi\). C is the correct answer.
Current Student
Affiliations: Scrum Alliance
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 13:53
Here, \(AC = OB = OA = r\), we can say that \(AB = 2r\).

Given the inscribed triangle property, we can get that triangle ABC is a right triangle and so \(AB^2 = AC^2 + BC^2\).

So, \((2r)^2 = r^2 + BC^2\), which means that \(BC = \sqrt{3}r\).

Area of the triangle ABC = \(\frac{1}{2}(AC)(BC) = 8\sqrt{3}\), means \(\frac{1}{2}(r)(\sqrt{3}r) = 8\sqrt{3}\), which simplifies to \(r^2 = 16\), so Area of the circle = 16\(\pi\)

Answer is C.

Kudos please
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 09:41
Bunuel wrote:

A. π
B. 8π
C. 16π
D. 48π
E. 64π

Attachment:

800score Official Solution:

There are four main concepts that must be understood in order to solve this problem. The first concept is that any triangle inscribed within a circle such that any one side of the triangle is a diameter of the circle, is a right triangle. The second concept is that the proportions of the sides of a 30⁰-60⁰-90⁰ triangle are x, x√3, 2x. The third concept is that the area of a right triangle is equal to one half the product of its legs: (1/2)bh. Finally, the fourth concept is that the area of a circle is π × radius².

Since the triangle is inscribed in the circle and one of its sides constitutes a diameter of the circle, the triangle must be a right triangle. AB is the diameter so AB = 2 × OB. We know that OB = AC. Therefore AB = 2 × AC. Therefore it must be a 30°-60°-90° triangle where AC = x, AB = 2x and CB = √3 × x (This can also be calculated using the Pythagorean Theorem).

We are now ready to solve this problem. Using the third concept from above, the area must be equal to (1/2) × √3 × x × x = 8√3.
The solution of the equation is x = 4. So the radius of the circle is 4. Therefore the area of the circle is π × 4² = 16π. The correct answer is C.
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2016, 10:31
Bunuel wrote:

A. π
B. 8π
C. 16π
D. 48π
E. 64π

Attachment:

OB is the radius, thus, AC has the same length as the radius.

since we have a triangle inscribed in a circle, and one side is the diagonal, the triangle MUST be a right triangle.
since the hypotenuse is 2R,and since one leg is R, it must be true that the triangle is 30-60-90. It must also be true, from the property of 30-60-90 triangle, that the other leg must be R*sqrt(3).
we then have the area of the triangle:
R*R(sqrt3)/2 = 8*sqrt(3)
r^2(sqrt3) = 16*sqrt(3)
r=4.
Area of the circle:
pi*r^2 = 16pi.

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 17:08
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2018, 17:08

In the figure above (not drawn to scale), triangle ABC is inscribed in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics