GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

In the figure above, the circles are centered at O(0, 0) and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
In the figure above, the circles are centered at O(0, 0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2013, 12:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:28) correct 52% (02:47) wrong based on 674 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the figure above, the circles are centered at O(0, 0) and P(10, 0). Line AB is tangent to both circles, at points A and B respectively, and intersects the x-axis at point X. What is the x-coordinate of point X ?

(1) The area of the circle centered at point P is 4 times the area of the circle centered at point O.

(2) BX is twice as long as AX.

Thought this one was particularly brutal, then I read the OE and was kicking myself

Attachment:
3078_1.png
3078_1.png [ 6.9 KiB | Viewed 16511 times ]
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: In the figure above, the circles are centered at O(0, 0) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 10:22
blakjedi wrote:
I still do not understand how to solve this problem. Any help is appreciated.

In the figure above, the circles are centered at O(0, 0) and P(10, 0). Line AB is tangent to both circles, at points A and B respectively, and intersects the x-axis at point X. What is the x-coordinate of point X ?

Since AB is tangent to both circles then it's perpendicular to the respective radii to points A and B:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 10.55 KiB | Viewed 15064 times ]
Also, notice that all three angles in triangles AOX and BPX are equal, which implies that triangles AOX and BPX are similar. This means that the ratio of corresponding sides in these triangles are equal (corresponding sides are opposite equal angles):

(1) The area of the circle centered at point P is 4 times the area of the circle centered at point O --> \(\pi{R^2}=4\pi{r^2}\) --> \(R=2r\) --> XP = 2*OX. Since OP = 10 = OX + XP, then OX + 2*OX = 10 --> OX = 10/3 --> the x-coordinate of point X is 10/3. Sufficient.

(2) BX is twice as long as AX. Basically the same here: BX = 2*AX --> --> XP = 2*OX. Since OP = 10 = OX + XP, then OX + 2*OX = 10 --> OX = 10/3 --> the x-coordinate of point X is 10/3. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2013, 19:46
Just a quick conceptual tip on this one:

Since only one line is tangent to the two circles, and since you know the distance between the origin and P, a ratio/proportion will suffice here.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2013, 13:23
Hi There, Can you please elaborate? I kind of figured out that the answer is D, by reasoning that the ratio of sides of the bigger triangle to that of the smaller triangle is 2:1 which led me to x-intercept of 3.33. Am I on the right track?
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2013, 23:06
bluecatie1 wrote:
Hi There, Can you please elaborate? I kind of figured out that the answer is D, by reasoning that the ratio of sides of the bigger triangle to that of the smaller triangle is 2:1 which led me to x-intercept of 3.33. Am I on the right track?

Absolutely. Also, once you recognize how to do this from F.S 1, you don't even have to work out anything for the second fact statement. It is all testing the ratio from similar triangles.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Current Student
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
GMAT Date: 03-12-2014
GRE 1: Q154 V170
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 09:36
Current Student
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
GMAT Date: 03-12-2014
GRE 1: Q154 V170
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 08:10
Bunuel wrote:
blakjedi wrote:

Since AB is tangent to both circles then it's perpendicular to the respective radii to points A and B:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Also, notice that all three angles in triangles AOX and BPX are equal, which implies that triangles AOX and BPX are similar. This means that the ratio of corresponding sides in these triangles are equal (corresponding sides are opposite equal angles):

(1) The area of the circle centered at point P is 4 times the area of the circle centered at point O --> \(\pi{R^2}=4\pi{r^2}\) --> \(R=2r\) --> XP = 2*OX. Since OP = 10 = OX + XP, then OX + 2*OX = 10 --> OX = 10/3 --> the x-coordinate of point X is 10/3. Sufficient.

(2) BX is twice as long as AX. Basically the same here: BX = 2*AX --> --> XP = 2*OX. Since OP = 10 = OX + XP, then OX + 2*OX = 10 --> OX = 10/3 --> the x-coordinate of point X is 10/3. Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Many thanks. I doubt I could complete this DS assesment in less than 2:30 minutes under normal circumstances.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2014, 11:42
Bunuel wrote:
blakjedi wrote:

Attachment:
Untitled.png

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

Two questions here:

1) How can you tell that "all three angles in triangles AOX and BPX are equal"? I thought that property held when a perpendicular line bisects a hypotenuse and that line is shared by both the triangles. I don't see that here?

2) In statement two, how do you make this leap -- BX = 2*AX --> --> XP = 2*OX?

Thanks
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2014, 12:02
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
blakjedi wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

Two questions here:

1) How can you tell that "all three angles in triangles AOX and BPX are equal"? I thought that property held when a perpendicular line bisects a hypotenuse and that line is shared by both the triangles. I don't see that here?

2) In statement two, how do you make this leap -- BX = 2*AX --> --> XP = 2*OX?

Thanks

Triangles are similar if their three angles are identical.

Now, in triangles AOX and BPX: \(\angle{AXO} = \angle{BXP}\), and \(\angle{OAX} = \angle{PBX}\), thus their third angles must also be equal: \(\angle{AOX} = \angle{XPB}\). Therefore triangles AOX and BPX are similar.

As for your second question: since triangles AOX and BPX are similar,then their corresponding sides are all in the same proportion. Thus if BX is twice as long as AX, then XP is twice as long as OX.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2014, 13:19
Bunuel wrote:

Triangles are similar if their three angles are identical.

Now, in triangles AOX and BPX: \(\angle{AXO} = \angle{BXP}\), and \(\angle{OAX} = \angle{PBX}\), thus their third angles must also be equal: \(\angle{AOX} = \angle{XPB}\). Therefore triangles AOX and BPX are similar.

As for your second question: since triangles AOX and BPX are similar,then their corresponding sides are all in the same proportion. Thus if BX is twice as long as AX, then XP is twice as long as OX.

Hope it's clear.

Ahh, got it. I was missing this gap. \(\angle{AXO} = \angle{BXP}\) Thanks!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 09:40
This is the beauty of GMAT. This entire horrendous question can be solved just be applying the concept of similar triangles and the formula of internal angle bisector.

If we join the two figures we have two triangles which have 3 angles equal to each other.One is vertically oppsite angle, another one is a right angle and the third one is by default equal. Now if we get the ratio of one side we can immediately get the ratio of the other other sides. and then apply internal bisector formula to devive the answer.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 20:13
AccipiterQ wrote:
Attachment:
3078_1.png

(1) The area of the circle centered at point P is 4 times the area of the circle centered at point O.

(2) BX is twice as long as AX.

Thought this one was particularly brutal, then I read the OE and was kicking myself

This problem hinges on recognizing that the two triangles are similar because they share an angle and they are both perpendicular. In this case, the two triangles are perpendicular because the line formed by their respective radii bisects AB. So once we see that 90 degree angle and the shared angle, we can determine that they are similar.

Statement 1: We know that the radii are related as follows: piR^2 = 4*pi*S^2. So R/S = 2. Once we know the relationship of two sides and the length of the both bases of the triangles (10, the x-coordinate of the larger triangle), we can solve for the x-value of the point.

Statement 2: We know that BX is 2*AX. In this case, we know the relationship of two sides, so we can solve for the length of the base of the triangles and thus the x-coordinate of X.
Director
Director
S
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 11:54
Bunuel

we don't necessarily need statement 1 or 2 to infer that that XP =2OX right?

I kept flipping contemplating the internal section formula but then noticed that the two triangles appear to be similar- I saw that you applied
xp =2ox to statement 1?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 12:10
Nunuboy1994 wrote:
Bunuel

we don't necessarily need statement 1 or 2 to infer that that XP =2OX right?

I kept flipping contemplating the internal section formula but then noticed that the two triangles appear to be similar- I saw that you applied
xp =2ox to statement 1?

We know that triangles AOX and BPX are similar from the stem but how can you get the ratio? Why not XP =3*OX or 2*XP =OX? Or any other ratio?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 09:02
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the figure above, the circles are centered at O(0, 0) and &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jul 2018, 09:02

In the figure above, the circles are centered at O(0, 0) and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap