It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10119

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 16:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: GMAT Coach
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 130

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Location: Peru
GPA: 3.98
Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 12:25
bkk145 wrote:
OA=D

I think there is a point in this question. Somehow, I notice that in GMAT, when something is said in generalization, you can use present form even though the time line is in the past. General statement here is (birds overcome) and it is fine in the present form. I have seen some questions similar to this one as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.




Sorry, overcome is not present in this case; it is past participle and it is used to modify the noun birds.
_________________

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests
Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 15:15
In the mid-1970’s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced automobile emissions.

A. since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced


this is incorrect. This should be used as a possessive adjective only and not as a pronoun replacing a noun. Also, it is trying to replace a verb (falling).
Also, plan to is the correct idiom in this case (should avoid plan to only if the sentence was like 'to plan to something').




B. since birds that had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it prompted officials in California to devise a plan that would reduce


it is incorrect. Pronouns cannot replace verbs. Plan to, same as A


C. birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced


Again, plan to. Also, all birds were overcome by pollution? This alternative has a meaning problem


D. birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce


overcome modifies birds, no meaning problem. The -ing modifier starting with prompting correctly modifies the preceding clause, making it clear that the falling of the birds prompted the officials. Plan to is correct.


E. birds overcome by pollution and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce


This alternative sounds funny, birds were prompting officials? Also, and is wrong here because there is nothing else happening to birds overcome by pollution

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Apr 2017
Posts: 11

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 00:56
bkk145 wrote:
In the mid-1970’s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced automobile emissions.

(A) since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced

(B) since birds that had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it prompted officials in California to devise a plan that would reduce

(C) birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced

(D) birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce

(E) birds overcome by pollution and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce



Because of the very vastness of grammar, I have always found the elimination method to get correct answer in SC.

I will try to reason it via "Process of Elimination" :

(A) since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced - Different verb tense- parallelism error

(B) since birds that had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it prompted officials in California to devise a plan that would reduce - Same as A. Unparallel and differnt verb tense

(C) birds had been overcome by pollution and routinelyfell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced - Same as A and B- Unparallel. First verb is past perfect and second one is present tense.

(D) birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce -Though this is awkward sounding but i dont see any error grammatically, so at this moment will leave it.Also it fixes the earlier error.

(E) birds overcome by pollution and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce - Unparallel again. So eliminated.

Now we can see, we are left with only option D. Though its really awkward, specially because of the use of modifier "prompting. But still i will choose D as others have clear errors.
HENCE D.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests
Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 03:47
noboru wrote:
noboru wrote:
"overcome" in D is present tense or is a participle modifying birds?
thanks.

PS: overcome, overcame, overcome


nobody is going to clarify this?


Birds overcome by pollutuon means birds affected strongly by pollution. Affect is a meaning of overcome

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: GMAT Coach
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 130

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Location: Peru
GPA: 3.98
Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 11:51
pinkAugust2308 wrote:
noboru wrote:
noboru wrote:
"overcome" in D is present tense or is a participle modifying birds?
thanks.

PS: overcome, overcame, overcome


nobody is going to clarify this?


Birds overcome by pollutuon means birds affected strongly by pollution. Affect is a meaning of overcome

Posted from my mobile device


Look at my previous post:
Overcome is not present in this case; it is past participle and it is used to modify the noun birds.
_________________

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2311

Kudos [?]: 9037 [0], given: 335

Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 15:28
Hello @rahulk2801!

You have presented a good analysis of the official sentence.

Here is my two cents on this official question.

(A) since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced: Incorrect

i. Presence of and indicates the presence of a list. However, there is no entity before and that is parallel to falling.
ii. Demonstrative pronoun this must be followed by a noun. However, there is no noun following this in this choice.
iii. Use of simple past tense reduced is incorrect because the plans do not reduce anything. Their implementation does.
iv. Since and prompted are redundant together because since has been used to mean because.


(B) since birds that had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it prompted officials in California to devise a plan that would reduce: Incorrect

i. Use of past perfect tense had been overcome is incorrect because the action of getting affected by pollution and falling from the sky were happening at the same time. There is no need for any sequencing in the sentence.
ii. There is no noun antecedent for pronoun it. In this choice, it seems to refer to the action were falling. This reference is most definitely incorrect.
iii. This choice repeats the redundancy error of Choice A.
iv. This choice retains the would reduce error, similar to the one we saw in Choice A.

(C) birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced: Incorrect

i. This choice repeats the verb tense error of Choice B.
ii. This choice repeats the verb tense error of Choice A.
iii. This choice repeats the reduced error of Choice A.


(D) birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce: Correct


(E) birds overcome by pollution and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce: Incorrect

i. This choice distorts the intended meaning by saying that the birds were prompted the officials to devise a plan.



Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9037 [0], given: 335

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 133

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 324

Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 20:10
[quote="bkk145"]In the mid-1970’s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced automobile emissions.

(A) since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced

(B) since birds that had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it prompted officials in California to devise a plan that would reduce

(C) birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced

(D) birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce

(E) birds overcome by pollution and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce[/quote

it is hard to eliminate choice e.
I read Ron explanation on manhantan forum. in E, a bird falling and dead can not prompt officials. not logic
in choice D, the falling can logically prompt official . this is correct.

doing in this pattern normally show an inseparate action from the main action. the bird fall and this falling prompt offical . this is logic
the bird can not prompt official but the bird' falling prompt the officials.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 324

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 153

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 162

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 07:13
egmat wrote:
Hello @rahulk2801!

You have presented a good analysis of the official sentence.

Here is my two cents on this official question.

(A) since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced: Incorrect

i. Presence of and indicates the presence of a list. However, there is no entity before and that is parallel to falling.
ii. Demonstrative pronoun this must be followed by a noun. However, there is no noun following this in this choice.
iii. Use of simple past tense reduced is incorrect because the plans do not reduce anything. Their implementation does.
iv. Since and prompted are redundant together because since has been used to mean because.


(B) since birds that had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it prompted officials in California to devise a plan that would reduce: Incorrect

i. Use of past perfect tense had been overcome is incorrect because the action of getting affected by pollution and falling from the sky were happening at the same time. There is no need for any sequencing in the sentence.
ii. There is no noun antecedent for pronoun it. In this choice, it seems to refer to the action were falling. This reference is most definitely incorrect.
iii. This choice repeats the redundancy error of Choice A.
iv. This choice retains the would reduce error, similar to the one we saw in Choice A.

(C) birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced: Incorrect

i. This choice repeats the verb tense error of Choice B.
ii. This choice repeats the verb tense error of Choice A.
iii. This choice repeats the reduced error of Choice A.


(D) birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce: Correct


(E) birds overcome by pollution and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce: Incorrect

i. This choice distorts the intended meaning by saying that the birds were prompted the officials to devise a plan.



Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Hey Shraddha,

Is it a rule that demonstrative pronoun "this" must be followed by a noun? Can you put some light on this concept?

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 162

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2311

Kudos [?]: 9037 [1], given: 335

Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 14:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey Shraddha,

Is it a rule that demonstrative pronoun "this" must be followed by a noun? Can you put some light on this concept?



Hello pikolo2510,

Thank you for your query. :-)

Yes, on GMAT SC, it is a rule that demonstrative pronouns must be followed by the noun they refer to.

For example:

I found an old pen in the attic; this belonged to my great grandfather. ---> Incorrect because this is not followed by the noun.

I found an old pen in the attic; this pen belonged to my great grandfather. ---> Correct because this is followed pen, the noun it is meant to refer to.


This is all we need to know about demonstrative pronouns to solve GMAT SC problems correctly.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9037 [1], given: 335

Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 14:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.