It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 386 [1], given: 0

In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2007, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:58) correct 32% (01:13) wrong based on 1226 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the mid-1970’s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced automobile emissions.

(A) since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced

(B) since birds that had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it prompted officials in California to devise a plan that would reduce

(C) birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced

(D) birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce

(E) birds overcome by pollution and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 386 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2007, 20:45
D for me as well..in the mid 70s birds..." got high and" FELL...prompting arnold to do xyz

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 2

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 386 [0], given: 0

Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 06:20
OA=D

I think there is a point in this question. Somehow, I notice that in GMAT, when something is said in generalization, you can use present form even though the time line is in the past. General statement here is (birds overcome) and it is fine in the present form. I have seen some questions similar to this one as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 06:49
bkk145 wrote:
OA=D

I think there is a point in this question. Somehow, I notice that in GMAT, when something is said in generalization, you can use present form even though the time line is in the past. General statement here is (birds overcome) and it is fine in the present form. I have seen some questions similar to this one as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe what you say is true and it is some thing to look forward to.

But here I thought 'D' is more appropriate while the other options had some issues in them..

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 06:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Beyond700 wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
OA=D

But here I thought 'D' is more appropriate while the other options had some issues in them..

Now that I think about it, I might be wrong.
The subject of the sentence is "birds overcome by pollution" and since the whole phase is a subject, the present tense is fine.
Help please...

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 07:18
bkk145 wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
OA=D

The subject of the sentence is "birds overcome by pollution" and since the whole phase is a subject, the present tense is fine.
Help please...

Is it not some thing like this?

Yesterday, Jack fell from his chair, prompting his colleagues to carry him to a clinic.

'Jack fell from his chair' - is in past tense

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [3], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2007, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
[quote="bkk145"]In the mid-1970’s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced automobile emissions.

A. since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced - awkward - were, falling reduced
B. since birds that had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it prompted officials in California to devise a plan that would reduce
C. birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced -- had been - going on action, reduced is past - so wrong
D. birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce
E. birds overcome by pollution and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce--- were prompting - is wrong since birds dint prompt the officials

So we are left with D

Kudos [?]: 35 [3], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2008, 18:35
bkk145 wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
OA=D

Help please...

Not sure how D is right? First 'birds overcome' with 'routinely fell' does not make sense. To me it felt like we had two events
1. birds overcame by pollution
2. then they fell from the sky

I was looking for perfect tense and ended up choosing C even though it sounded really strange.
Can anyone explain why D is the choice here?

May be 'birds overcome by pollution' is a subject phrase here?

C. In the mid-1970s, birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced
D. In the mid-1970's, birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1101 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2008, 22:05
billyjeans wrote:
D,

birds overcome by pollution vs birds were overcome by pollution
Can you explain difference between these two? and in original stennce why " birds were overcome by pollution
" is wrong.

I thought "birds were overcome by pollution" which is in passive voice is correct .
birds were overcome by pollution = pollution overcame birds

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1101 [0], given: 5

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1515 [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2010, 05:47
I have problems to understand why birds overcome, which is a present tense, is correct in D.
Could anybody explain?
Thanks,

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 801 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 10:40
I dont know how to express in grammatical language but I will try to explain why D is correct.

The sentence is talking about something in 1970's. and is stating a fact --> "birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways". Also, the modifier "prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce" is correctly modifying the preceding clause. Hence D is correct.

A, B, C and E are straight wrong for mixing up tenses and for not being parallel.

Kudos [?]: 801 [0], given: 6

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 930 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 14:07
Ace! You just killed the SC :-D

comma + ing is used to modify previous noun or preceding clause.

seekmba wrote:
I dont know how to express in grammatical language but I will try to explain why D is correct.

The sentence is talking about something in 1970's. and is stating a fact --> "birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways". Also, the modifier "prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce" is correctly modifying the preceding clause. Hence D is correct.

A, B, C and E are straight wrong for mixing up tenses and for not being parallel.

Kudos [?]: 930 [0], given: 36

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1515 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2010, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
"overcome" in D is present tense or is a participle modifying birds?
thanks.

PS: overcome, overcame, overcome

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Kudos [?]: 1515 [1], given: 2

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 930 [3], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2010, 22:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The best way is to eliminate the choices that have "falling". So A, B and E are OUT.

C and D are left.

C. birds had been overcome by pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced ----> Had overcome the usage is wrong. You use past perfect to sequence the events not for stating parallel things "and" denotes parallelism.

D. birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce --------> D uses past tense - "fell"

Kudos [?]: 930 [3], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2010, 14:27
Initially I thought E but now I realised that it should be D.

Cheers,
SD

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 25

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2011, 09:18
noboru wrote:
"overcome" in D is present tense or is a participle modifying birds?
thanks.

PS: overcome, overcame, overcome

nobody is going to clarify this?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 00:54
2 question.

1.what is the usage of "overcome" here?
2.If the phrase after bird is a modify,then what is the usage of "prompting" here?

Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 77

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 152 [2], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In the mid-1970’s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced automobile emissions.

A.since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways,this prompted officials in California to devise a plan that reduced
B. since birdsthat had been overcome by pollution were routinely falling from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, it promptedofficials in California to devise a plan that would reduce
C. birds had been overcomeby pollution and routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan that reduced
D. birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce ...CORRECT...
E. birds overcome by pollution and routinely fallingfrom the sky above Los Angeles freeways were prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce

Kudos [?]: 152 [2], given: 70

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 34

GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 22:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
samsmalldog wrote:
2 question.

1.what is the usage of "overcome" here?
2.If the phrase after bird is a modify,then what is the usage of "prompting" here?

Thanks in advance.

D. birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways, prompting officials in California to devise a plan to reduce

Hello Sam,

I don't think "overcome" is in the present tense here as some people have mentioned. "Overcome" is a past participle modifier modifying "birds", and it makes the "birds overcome by pollution" a noun phrase. (Noun + its modifier).

Now as per your second question, "prompting officials in California......" is a verb-ing modifier preceded by a comma , and hence modifies the entire previous clause. (birds overcome by pollution routinely fell from the sky above Los Angeles freeways).

Hope this makes sense :-)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 34

Intern
Intern
Status: Anyone from chandigarh preparing for GMAT . Kindly buzz me or leave a message.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 380

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2014, 01:13
A,B,C AND E seem to be wordy IMO D. Also the use of tense with respect to falling and fell :-D

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 380

Re: In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2014, 01:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ] 

In the mid-1970s, since birds were overcome by pollution, and routinel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap