Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [71]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [2]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [3]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798, the a [#permalink]
Kudos
This one is fairly easy. Check which fits Its well. A, B and D are ruled out immediately. E can be clearly ruled out due to parallelism issue. C is the best option.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [3]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798, the a [#permalink]
Kudos
Harley1980 wrote:
Inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798, the authors of the Lyrical Ballads were Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate.

meaning:
STC and WW wrote LB.
WW would later be named BPL.
The publication of the book inaugurated romantic movement
the book was published in 1798.

A) Inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798, the authors of the Lyrical Ballads were Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate
we should have the book after the long introductory modifier. why so? because we have ITS publication. so no.

B) Inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate, wrote the Lyrical Ballads
same error; we need after ing modifier -> the book.

C) Inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798, the Lyrical Ballads was written by William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate, and Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
looks good, no ambiguities, no pronoun/idiom/parallelism errors..potential answer.

D) The Lyrical Ballads, written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate, and inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798
where is the verb? :D

E) The authors being Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate, the Lyrical Ballads inaugurated the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798
changes the focus from being written by STC and WW to inaugurating the movement. C looks better, so E is out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
He inaugurated a new policy of trade and exploration.

The museum was inaugurated on September 12.

Above sentences are correct

How a book (Lyrical Ballads) can inaugurate something? This makes me reject choice C. Please help
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
He inaugurated a new policy of trade and exploration.

The museum was inaugurated on September 12.

Above sentences are correct

How a book (Lyrical Ballads) can inaugurate something? This makes me reject choice C. Please help

It is alright to say that a book started a movement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
the answer should be C."its" used in first clause, so should be followed by the Lyrical Ballads.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

Official Explanation

A SC problem with the whole sentence underlined! These are challenging ones. Let's look at (A) first.

(A) Inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798, the authors of the Lyrical Ballads were Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate

The modifier "inaugurating the Romantic movement with its publication in 1798" must applied to the Lyrical Ballads, not to the two authors, as (A) & (B) suggest. Those two are wrong.

Choice (C) correctly has this modifier modifying "the Lyrical Ballads", and everything else is clear and grammatically correct. This is a promising choice. (NOTE: even though "Lyrical Ballads" sounds plural, it's a unique and single book, so it is singular, and the singular verb "was" is perfectly correct.)

Choice (D) makes the missing verb mistake --- there is no main verb in that version. (D) is wrong.

In (E), the second half is clear and direct, but the first half compresses the information into an awkward absolute phrase using the participle "being" --- that's almost always wrong on the GMAT Sentence Correction. Here, the effect is clumsy and indirect. Choice (E) is far from ideal.

By far, the strongest answer is (C).

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi experts

....the authors of the Lyrical Ballads were Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate.

I found an explanation to the question saying "who" ambiguously refers to both "Samuel T C" and "William Wordsworth". In the construction shown above does "who" clearly not refer to
"William Wordsworth" (being separated by a comma from the rest of the sentence).

Please suggest.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
I am still not so clear why "inaugurating" is not modifying the two authors but the the book "Lyrical Ballads". Who is inaugurating? Ans- "the authors".

Had there been no "its", which is indicating that "Lyrical Ballads" is being modified, would "inaugurating" then refer to the authors?
Is my understanding correct that "its" is the only thing here that is giving clue what is being modified, and there is no other thing that I am missing?

Consider this:
Inaugurating the Romantic movement with THE publication in 1798, the authors of the Lyrical Ballads were Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate.

Is this correct now?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
AndrewN - Request your expert suggestions on this one as well. Thank you in advance.

Pankaj0901 wrote:
I am still not so clear why "inaugurating" is not modifying the two authors but the the book "Lyrical Ballads". Who is inaugurating? Ans- "the authors".

Had there been no "its", which is indicating that "Lyrical Ballads" is being modified, would "inaugurating" then refer to the authors?
Is my understanding correct that "its" is the only thing here that is giving clue what is being modified, and there is no other thing that I am missing?

Consider this:
Inaugurating the Romantic movement with THE publication in 1798, the authors of the Lyrical Ballads were Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who would later be named Britain's Poet Laureate.

Is this correct now?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos