GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please.

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 347
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Aug 2018, 09:19
Hi !

Please provide feedback.

Background: Male/Indian
Age at the time of application submission: 32

Education:
XI= 77%age
XII= 73%age
B.Tech (Computer Science); TOP 30 College in India. In league with NITs. GPA: 6.4/10 (Bad because I lost track of my education) few bumps which show on my Transcripts.
Masters in International Business : 3.1/4 graduated from London: I Also spent 4 months in San Francisco, US for Rotation Programme
GMAT: 690 [Q49 V35 IR5] (AWA5 expecting), Second attempt

Work Experience : 7 years
(2 years: Retail Distribution, 2years 6 months Import Export International Business and 2 years 5 months: B2B Marketing & sales (FMCD)

(1) 2 years as business development manager at startup marketing firm. Retail distribution of FMCG producs. Achieved 1 years target in 10 months and contributed actively in growth of the business.

(2) 2 years 7 months with Import Export Company: Manager Marketing and International Sales. Worked on Ferro metal and agri products export from india. Dealing directly with Export heads of big corporations such as Jindal Steel, Bhushan Steel, Vedanta and others. Mostly handled Middle east and Europe clients.
Also coordinated with Custom House agents for completion of documentation and Shipping of the products. One promotion from Assistant Manager to Manager in 1 years because of my performance.

(3) 2 years 3 months: One of India's Largest Business Group (Think TATA, Reliance, Wipro): Assistant Manager Sales: handled sales for half of a state and improved on sales numbers (from 35%, before I joined to 65%. while achieving 80% target for self). Handled Projects worth 10 Million to 30 millions (In INR) mostly handled Govt Projects and tenders.

Also completed few online Business courses from Universities. (have Certificates): Scoring Good grades and even one invite to attend the Special Session for a B-School on campus (couldn't attend).

Extracurriculars:
(1) During Schooling: Science Fair Organising Committee member: Won Science Fair awards. Participated in Sate level Science Fair. Won many district level science fairs.
District level Debate Champion and Participated at State level. (Team Leader at State level Science Fair) Also state level Athlete. (Have certificates)

(2) During Undergrad: Won consecutive 2 Gold at College level cricket Tournament (Vice caption). 1 Silver at college level Volleyball Tournament (Team member).
Co-Funder, Manager and Team member of Dance Club. Won best choreographer award for National level College fest. also one 2nd level position in National level College fest.
Fashion Show coordinator and participant at National level Cultural Fest.
House Caption for Cultural Activities.
Gym trainer at College.

(3) During Masters: Memeber of Consulting Club and Marketing Club, 4 Months global rotation to San Francisco, US.
Team member of Winning team for Consulting Case project done for one of US's leading Online Education Company. Presented Ideas to Panel from the company and Won the Competition. (amazing experience)
During Masters helped one student from Armenia in her project for Quality Management (Volunteer, guided) [I like helping others] :)

(4) during Work Ex: (At Work Ex 2) Import and Export company: Incharge of project for Company's website design.
at (At work Ex 3) company Won badminton tournament (Doubles) Total 12 teams. Completed many trainings at corporate level.

As being from a small town not much of the guidance were available to me and I studied in Hindi medium in a govt. School till 12th [the reason for my bad GPA in UG, But I came far from that time and improved a lot since then]. I am the first person in my family who completed a full time graduate study and Also the first from the whole town to go to abroad for study . I always wanted to help others So I started guiding other students who has the capability but lack directions. I do it as per best of my knowledge. In my free time I try to guide as many students as I can. With their efforts they Achieved good results : three of them have become CA, few have gone to Engineering colleges, few joined management institute and some are preparing for Govt. services. (This is something I believe in doing)

Post-MBA Goals:
Interested in B2B Marketing focused Consulting OR Supply Chain/Operations
Target Schools: Kelley, WP Carey, Tepper, Fuqua (hopefully with Scholarship)

What are my chances? Please suggest colleges which you think will be fit for me.
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.
Please Give Kudos Image !!
Thanks :-)


Originally posted by D3N0 on 20 Aug 2018, 03:13.
Last edited by D3N0 on 21 Aug 2018, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 320
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 11:22
Hi D3N0,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You have an interesting profile, one that I would like to learn more about. From a macro view, I would encourage you to retake the GMAT if you can take it over 700. The challenges you will face are age, demographic (overrepresented), and GPA. You need to counterbalance these by submitting stronger GMAT scores and a strong application. Of course, you will also need to address your GPA (don't assume the Admissions Committee understands your story). You may either address that in the main story or the optional essay.

You have the material to put together a strong case for the target schools; be sure to spend time on the qualitative component of the application.

If you would like to continue the conversation with a free consultation, click here to coordinate.

Good luck!

D3N0 wrote:
Hi !

Please provide feedback.

Background: Male/Indian
Age at the time of application submission: 32

Education:
XI= 77%age
XII= 73%age
B.Tech (Computer Science); TOP 30 College in India. In league with NITs. GPA: 6.4/10 (Bad because I lost track of my education) few bumps which show on my Transcripts.
Masters in International Business : 3.1/4 graduated from London: I Also spent 4 months in San Francisco, US for Rotation Programme
GMAT: 690 [Q49 V35 IR5] (AWA5 expecting), Second attempt

Work Experience : 7 years
(2 years: Retail Distribution, 2years 6 months Import Export International Business and 2 years 5 months: B2B Marketing & sales (FMCD)

(1) 2 years as business development manager at startup marketing firm. Retail distribution of FMCG producs. Achieved 1 years target in 10 months and active contribution in growth of the business.

(2) 2 years 7 months with Import Export Company: Manager Marketing and International Sales. Worked on Ferro metal and agri products export from india. Dealing directly with Export heads of big corporations such as Jindal Steel, Bhushan Steel, Vedanta and others. Mostly handled Middle east and Europe clients.
Also coordinated with Custom House agents for completion of documentation and Shipping of the products. One promotion from Assistant Manager to Manager in 1 years because of my performance.

(3) 2 years 3 months: One of India's Largest Business Group (Think TATA, Reliance, Wipro): Assistant Manager Sales: handled sales for half of a state and improved on sales numbers (from 35%, before I joined to 65%. while achieving 80% target for self). Handled Projects worth 10 Million to 30 millions (In INR) mostly handled Govt Projects and tenders.

Also completed few online Business courses from Universities. (have Certificates): Scoring Good grades and even one invite to attend the Special Session for a B-School on campus (couldn't attend).

Extracurriculars:
(1) During Schooling: Science Fair Organising Committee member: Won Science Fair awards. Participated in Sate level Science Fair. Won many district level science fairs.
District level Debate Champion and Participated at State level. (Team Leader at State level Science Fair) Also state level Athlete. (Have certificates)

(2) During Undergrad: Won consecutive 2 Gold at College level cricket Tournament (Vice caption). 1 Silver at college level Volleyball Tournament (Team member).
Co-Funder, Manager and Team member of Dance Club. Won best choreographer award for National level College fest. also one 2nd level position in National level College fest.
Fashion Show coordinator and participant at National level Cultural Fest.
House Caption for Cultural Activities.
Gym trainer at College.

(3) During Masters: Memeber of Consulting Club and Marketing Club, 4 Months global rotation to San Francisco, US.
Team member of Winning team for Consulting Case project done for one of US's leading Online Education Company. Presented Ideas to Panel from the company and Won the Competition. (amazing experience)
During Masters helped one student from Armenia in her project for Quality Management (Volunteer, guided) [I like helping others] :)

(4) during Work Ex: (At Work Ex 2) Import and Export company: Incharge of project for Company's website design.
at (At work Ex 3) company Won badminton tournament (Doubles) Total 12 teams. Completed many trainings at corporate level.

As being from a small town not much of the guidance were available to me and I studied in Hindi medium in a govt. School till 12th. [this was the reason of my bad GPA in UG. although I came far from that time and improved a lot] I am the first person from my family who completed a full time graduate study. Also the first from the whole town to go to abroad for study so I wanted to help others and I always guide people as per best of my knowledge. In my free time I try to guide as many students as I can. I Achieved good results : three of them have become CA, few have gone to Engineering colleges, few joined management institute and some are preparing for Govt. services. (This is something I believe in doing)


Post-MBA Goals:
Interested in Supply Chain/Operations OR B2B Marketing focused Consulting
Target Schools: Kelley, WP Carey, Tepper, Fuqua (hopefully with Scholarship)

What are my chances? Please suggest colleges which you think will be fit for me.

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 347
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Aug 2018, 09:17
Thank you for your kind response.
I have few questions.

You said I have interesting profile. Interesting in Positive or negative terms?
Demography wise, yes I am in a pool which is a lot competitive than other pools but does my Work ex differentiate me from the pool?
How do you suggest I go about my GPA issue in MBA Essay?
I can definitely Re-take the Gmat but as round one Deadlines are approaching I am in dilemma. Shall I go for Re-take or start prep for Applications for Round one OR do both. If I take GMAT date in Mid Sept. than I will have only 15 days to prep my applications which is very less time for B-School Applications.

Also can you please suggest few colleges where Age will not become a hurdle. I know Kenan Fleglar is One.
Location is not a bound but US>Canada>Germany>Other European MBAs.
and btw I will be registering Soon for free consultation.

SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi D3N0,
Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You have an interesting profile, one that I would like to learn more about. From a macro view, I would encourage you to retake the GMAT if you can take it over 700. The challenges you will face are age, demographic (overrepresented), and GPA. You need to counterbalance these by submitting stronger GMAT scores and a strong application. Of course, you will also need to address your GPA (don't assume the Admissions Committee understands your story). You may either address that in the main story or the optional essay.

You have the material to put together a strong case for the target schools; be sure to spend time on the qualitative component of the application.

If you would like to continue the conversation with a free consultation, click here to coordinate.
Good luck!

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.
Please Give Kudos Image !!
Thanks :-)


Originally posted by D3N0 on 21 Aug 2018, 07:39.
Last edited by D3N0 on 21 Aug 2018, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 320
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 08:44
Hi D3N0,

I mean interesting in a positive way. You demonstrate consistent professional growth and involvement in your community, despite lacking the foundation and guidance others often have.

Your work experience can differentiate you from your peers, but it all depends on how you address it/talk about it. The same goes for your GPA. I do not have a full understanding of your profile to be able to guide you through how to address your GPA. All depends on your story and the schools you target. Indeed, putting together a strong application takes time so you will need to get started immediately. I recommend you work on your application as you prepare for the GMAT retake.

While you have had a difficult start, what you want to show the admissions team is that your strength lies in your professional experience, that you are going in as a wiser and a more experienced professional from whom others can learn, and that you can handle the rigor of the institution.

You can email us directly (info@siaadmissions.com) to coordinate a free consultation.

Good luck!



D3N0 wrote:
Thank you for your kind response.
I have few questions.

You said I have interesting profile. Interesting in Positive or negative terms?
Demography wise, yes I am in a pool which is a lot competitive than other pools but does my Work ex differentiate me from the pool?
How do you suggest I go about my GPA issue in MBA Essay?
I can definitely Re-take the Gmat but as round one Deadlines are approaching I am dilemma. Shall I go for Re-take or start prep for Applications for Round one OR do both. If I take GMAT date in Mid Sept. than I will have only 15 days to prep my applications which is very less time for B-School Applications.

Also can you please suggest few colleges where Age will not become a hurdle. I know Kenan Fleglar is One.
Location is not a bound but US>Canada>Germany>Other European MBAs.
and btw I will be registering Soon for free consultation.

SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi D3N0,
Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You have an interesting profile, one that I would like to learn more about. From a macro view, I would encourage you to retake the GMAT if you can take it over 700. The challenges you will face are age, demographic (overrepresented), and GPA. You need to counterbalance these by submitting stronger GMAT scores and a strong application. Of course, you will also need to address your GPA (don't assume the Admissions Committee understands your story). You may either address that in the main story or the optional essay.

You have the material to put together a strong case for the target schools; be sure to spend time on the qualitative component of the application.

If you would like to continue the conversation with a free consultation, click here to coordinate.
Good luck!

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 347
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 03:12
I just mailed on the given mail address for Free consultation.


SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi D3N0,

I mean interesting in a positive way. You demonstrate consistent professional growth and involvement in your community, despite lacking the foundation and guidance others often have.

Your work experience can differentiate you from your peers, but it all depends on how you address it/talk about it. The same goes for your GPA. I do not have a full understanding of your profile to be able to guide you through how to address your GPA. All depends on your story and the schools you target. Indeed, putting together a strong application takes time so you will need to get started immediately. I recommend you work on your application as you prepare for the GMAT retake.

While you have had a difficult start, what you want to show the admissions team is that your strength lies in your professional experience, that you are going in as a wiser and a more experienced professional from whom others can learn, and that you can handle the rigor of the institution.

You can email us directly (info@siaadmissions.com) to coordinate a free consultation.

Good luck!

_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.
Please Give Kudos Image !!
Thanks :-)

Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 320
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 06:51
Thank you, D3N0. We look forward to connecting with you.


D3N0 wrote:
I just mailed on the given mail address for Free consultation.


SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi D3N0,

I mean interesting in a positive way. You demonstrate consistent professional growth and involvement in your community, despite lacking the foundation and guidance others often have.

Your work experience can differentiate you from your peers, but it all depends on how you address it/talk about it. The same goes for your GPA. I do not have a full understanding of your profile to be able to guide you through how to address your GPA. All depends on your story and the schools you target. Indeed, putting together a strong application takes time so you will need to get started immediately. I recommend you work on your application as you prepare for the GMAT retake.

While you have had a difficult start, what you want to show the admissions team is that your strength lies in your professional experience, that you are going in as a wiser and a more experienced professional from whom others can learn, and that you can handle the rigor of the institution.

You can email us directly (info@siaadmissions.com) to coordinate a free consultation.

Good luck!

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Re: Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please. &nbs [#permalink] 23 Aug 2018, 06:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Indian Not-IT (Experience): Evaluate my Profile please.

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: SiaAdmissions



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.