GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 04:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Information on NEW GMAT ESR REPORT - BETA - Upload yours here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Information on NEW GMAT ESR REPORT - BETA - Upload yours here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 20:29
Top Contributor
So much for my being the only person I know of to score a 770 with "only" a Q47. However, I scored a 48/51 in Verbal on that attempt, which usually correlates to 1 question wrong--though my GMAT was pre-ESR (2012) so I will never truly know.

Nice work and thanks for sharing your ESR with the community!

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V.

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y7knw7bt Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club) or find me on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V51
GPA: 3.4
Information on NEW GMAT ESR REPORT - BETA - Upload yours here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 08:57
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
int202 wrote:
Hi everyone, I wanted to contribute my ESR as one of the less common verbal/quant splits. I scored a 770 on my first attempt with a V51 and Q47.

It's not everyday that we see a 760+ on here, let alone a perfect Verbal score! Congratulations on a job done very well, and thank you for sharing the results with us! Out of curiosity, what is your academic background? Have you always been an avid reader since college?

Thanks! I graduated from a T10 undergraduate program 4 years ago with a business/econ degree and an English minor. I was interested in doing business journalism at one point but went in a different direction. Since college, I shamefully haven't read more than a book every few months, but I think for the purposes of GMAT RC and SC, a few news articles from high-quality publications* are better for getting a sense of the various grammar rules and idioms.

For SC, mastering subject-verb agreement alone will eliminate 1 or 2 answer choices for a lot of questions. Once you're able to break up a sentence into clauses (and ignoring the extraneous clauses) it becomes much easier to see which noun is the subject of the verb. That, plus checking for parallelism, usually only leaves 2 answer choices differentiated by the proper use of an idiom. For this reason I think idioms are somewhat over-emphasized when it comes to prepping SC, but this is coming from the perspective of a native English speaker.

For CR, the LSAT questions helped a lot in getting me into the right mindset. They felt somewhat harder than the GMAT equivalents, but I did attempt them before prepping for the GMAT. The medium and hard OG questions did the job well enough.

One last note on verbal is that I can confirm (at least for my exam) the comparing bolded / boldface sentences question type has been removed.

The only materials I used were the GMAC practice tests, the Wiley OG, and LSAT PrepTests - nothing from Manhattan, Kaplan, etc. I tried using the 'Advanced Quant' Manhattan book but after only a few questions, I found they were too abstract and more difficult than the 'Hard' difficulty quant questions in the OG.

*NYT, WSJ, Financial Times, The New Yorker, Bloomberg, Washington Post; the quality of writing on 'content' websites like Salon and Vice is so poor that it may hurt your score!

mcelroytutoring wrote:
So much for my being the only person I know of to score a 770 with "only" a Q47. However, I scored a 48/51 in Verbal on that attempt, which usually correlates to 1 question wrong--though my GMAT was pre-ESR (2012) so I will never truly know.

Nice work and thanks for sharing your ESR with the community!

Thanks! I appreciated reading your perspective (and IanStewart's) in Bunuel's threads testing different what if scenarios using the practice tests. I was able to get >Q45 scores on my practice tests by spending more time on the earlier questions and guessing more frequently in the second and fourth 'quarters.' But after enough practice tests, I got quick enough with the non-algebra questions that I was able to just test all the responses. Your contributions have been helpful in helping students who are interested in exploring different strategies to find one that plays to their strengths.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Information on NEW GMAT ESR REPORT - BETA - Upload yours here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 18:14
Wow, 770 with a perfect verbal score is very impressive. Nice job!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Information on NEW GMAT ESR REPORT - BETA - Upload yours here   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2019, 18:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 143 posts ] 

Information on NEW GMAT ESR REPORT - BETA - Upload yours here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep