Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:11 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
CR Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [1]
Given Kudos: 558
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: INSEAD OR HEC MiM? [#permalink]
pcutone wrote:
 21yo from Italy, Luiss University in Rome, Bachelor's degree in English, exchange of 1y in the Netherlands, 3.96 GPA

• Extracurricular: Director of Finance and Consulting Club, Startup consultant, Junior Enterprise in the past
  • Professional: Intern in Deloitte for 3 months last summer, got offer to join BCG in Milan for 2 months this summer
I have applied to HEC, ESSEC, Bocconi and Insead MIM. I got admission in Insead (waiting for scholarship) and I have interview coming for HEC tomorrow. The Insead offer will expire before the published HEC date for admission result (much earlier). I always considered Insead to be my top choice also from a fitting point of view but two thing scare me: 1) Not understanding that HEC could be manifestly superior and Insead MiM still not well known 2) I would be forced to recruit from the beginning with Insead. I hope that having BCG will help getting a job in this market (or event return offer).
I didn't book the ESSEC interview because at that point I saw that as a waste of my and of their time (idk if it was a good move). Bocconi will not let me know until May.

My questions:
1) With an MBB internship already secured, does it make sense to do another 2-3 years at HEC?
2) Should I press HEC to send their decision before the common date?
3) Is Insead so far behind HEC MiM Grande Ecole, especially in this market?
4) Would I be crazy to turn down Insead offer, even with scholarship, to wait for HEC decision?

­Insead all the way for MBB
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 617 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
INSEAD OR HEC MiM? [#permalink]

pcutone wrote:
 21yo from Italy, Luiss University in Rome, Bachelor's degree in English, exchange of 1y in the Netherlands, 3.96 GPA

• Extracurricular: Director of Finance and Consulting Club, Startup consultant, Junior Enterprise in the past
  • Professional: Intern in Deloitte for 3 months last summer, got offer to join BCG in Milan for 2 months this summer
I have applied to HEC, ESSEC, Bocconi and Insead MIM. I got admission in Insead (waiting for scholarship) and I have interview coming for HEC tomorrow. The Insead offer will expire before the published HEC date for admission result (much earlier). I always considered Insead to be my top choice also from a fitting point of view but two thing scare me: 1) Not understanding that HEC could be manifestly superior and Insead MiM still not well known 2) I would be forced to recruit from the beginning with Insead. I hope that having BCG will help getting a job in this market (or event return offer).
I didn't book the ESSEC interview because at that point I saw that as a waste of my and of their time (idk if it was a good move). Bocconi will not let me know until May.

My questions:
1) With an MBB internship already secured, does it make sense to do another 2-3 years at HEC?
2) Should I press HEC to send their decision before the common date?
3) Is Insead so far behind HEC MiM Grande Ecole, especially in this market?
4) Would I be crazy to turn down Insead offer, even with scholarship, to wait for HEC decision?

@pcutone

Many many congratulations on INSEAD and the MBB internship  :)

I love this question here an would like to share my nuanced thoughts.

INSEAD: When INSEAD was planning its first MiM cohort, I was still in Fontainebleau (in 2019). The MiM concept seemed absurd to us MBA folks at the time, and a group of us asked the people in charge for clarification about INSEAD's plan for the MiM and its goals. We were informed that INSEAD had identified a gap in the market that it wanted to fill with the MiM program. This gap is evident in your comparison of the three programs. HEC's MiM program is traditionally considered the most prestigious, but it requires a significant time commitment to complete a MiM degree. Does today's generation have that level of patience? This is a question worth asking. INSEAD recognized this and tapped into the market to help young candidates worldwide who are looking for a first-class brand association early in their career. With its solid alumni network from the MBA and GEMBA programs, INSEAD supported the first cohorts of MiM graduates. The INSEAD MiM is essentially meant for individuals who don't need an intensive academic experience but want to quickly expand their professional network on a global scale. So ask yourself whether you prefer a fast-track management program or a more intensive program.

HEC Paris: 
If you know a little about the French corporate sector, the MBA is a relatively new concept. When the HEC MiM was created more than two decades ago, a Master's degree from one of the prestigious schools (grande ecoles) was considered equivalent of having "made it" in life. The Master in Management was created with the same idea, to combine the same prestige with a management degree, at a time when the MBA was not so popular in France. In traditional French companies, you either had Grande Echole graduates in the coveted positions or you simply moved up the ranks. Once you had over 20  years of experience, companies sponsored you for exceutive MBAs from the best B-schools. An MBA for a mid level employee was not seen as a wise decision. I had a French manager at a very traditional French company who did not provide me an LOR for my MBA because he didnt agree with my decision. :)

HEC Paris is an excellent MiM program that has a good pace (maybe a little too long) and gives you the opportunity to get to know your peer group well, build close relationships with your fellow students, and do internships. This is a great program for someone who really wants to live in France and the surrounding area long-term. People who study at HEC MiM have much more clarity about their long-term interests than folks who do shorter programs because who feel the need to get their bearings quickly and take the next steps. If you are planning to get into MBB, and not a traditional French MNC, a shorter program would make more sense in my perspective. This could also save you time in case you want to pursue an MBA a few years later

Worried about your odds at the Top Business Schools? get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­
 ­
GMAT Club Bot
INSEAD OR HEC MiM? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts