It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 12:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is "and also" definitely wrong(because of redundancy)?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Is "and also" definitely wrong(because of redundancy)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am asking this question because I have seen that OG clearly explains that an answer choice is wrong because " and also" is redundant. However, I have also seen the appearance of " and also" in their own words. I mean they write things with this phrase but at the same time say it is redundant in the explanations( which means it is not the right usage?). The same case is for" comma, which". I studied some grammar prep book saying "comma, which" cannot refer to the preceding clause in the GMAT. Is that true?

In addition, for some other OG problems, some choices include " and also' but this time OG says NOTHING about it. Does it mean it is generally ok to use " and also"? I am really confused.

So "and also" is definitely wrong? Whenever you see it appear in the answer choice, you should eliminate that choice? Or it is just redundant but grammatically
right and we should keep it as the right answer if no other better choices appear?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by tolotolo on 27 Oct 2017, 18:26, edited 4 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Is "and also" definitely wrong(because of redundancy)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 18:08
Can anyone help? THANKS!

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29360 [0], given: 5298

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 19:19
I think it is a great question to have some context/examples. My guess is that GMAC was testing “not only....but also” idiom in which case “and also” would be wrong.

This is also a good question to bring up on the Wednesday verbal chats with gmat ninja.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29360 [0], given: 5298

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 09:50
In the GMAT world "which" modifies a preceding word. Which cannot modify a clause (subject + verb). Before "which" we put comma, but before "that" we don't.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 10:12
tolotolo wrote:
I am asking this question because I have seen that OG clearly explains that an answer choice is wrong because " and also" is redundant. However, I have also seen the appearance of " and also" in their own words. I mean they write things with this phrase but at the same time say it is redundant in the explanations( which means it is not the right usage?). The same case is for" comma, which". I studied some grammar prep book saying "comma, which" cannot refer to the preceding clause in the GMAT. Is that true?

In addition, for some other OG problems, some choices include " and also' but this time OG says NOTHING about it. Does it mean it is generally ok to use " and also"? I am really confused.

So "and also" is definitely wrong? Whenever you see it appear in the answer choice, you should eliminate that choice? Or it is just redundant but grammatically
right and we should keep it as the right answer if no other better choices appear?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

You are almost right but there is GMAT prep questions that are exceptions:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/turning-away ... 42870.html

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t6929.html (you can see the whole discussion with Ron's comment)

I hope it helps

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 965 [0], given: 69

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 10:17
Mo2men wrote:
tolotolo wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

You are almost right but there is GMAT prep questions that are exceptions:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/turning-away ... 42870.html

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t6929.html (you can see the whole discussion with Ron's comment)

I hope it helps

Exactly, I was looking for this question. Thanks Mo2men :)

I would say don't go blindly. GMAC can punish you if you are a crammer of the rules. I have suffered this during my practice.

It's better to think logically as a Manager. ;)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 89

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 11:21
Just reiterating what Ron has said,

"X and Y" is normally used to indicate two different things.

"X and also Y" is normally used to bestow two descriptions on the SAME person or thing.

That's one reason to use "and also". Certainly there are others.
The point is that, under most circumstances, "and" is just fine. There should be some reason, normally related to immediate clarity, to append "also".

More importantly, this type of thing is tossed in there largely as a distraction.
If two forms are both acceptable"”"”and the differences between them are quite subtle (and/or related to style, rather than to actual concerns of mechanics or meaning)"”"”then, if they appear, their primary purpose is to pull your attention away from other, more important things. Watch out.

Edit:--
Some details from mikemcgarry as well,
The phrasing "and also" is not redundant. It is used for emphasis and clarity. Among other things, the two words are not redundant because we could not use "also" by itself in this context. We have to use "and," and "also" emphasizes something special about the conjunction.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 89

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 14:56
If I remember correctly, per e-GMAT 's lessons, and also is redundant and therefore incorrect.
egmat - Would love your input here!

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 207

Board of Directors
D

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 00:09
mvictor wrote:
If I remember correctly, per e-GMAT 's lessons, and also is redundant and therefore incorrect.
egmat - Would love your input here!

No, don't go with this assumption my friend. I have seen OG questions that have "and also" marked as correct.

There are a couple of good explanations above. Please go through them once. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 00:57
tolotolo wrote:

Thanks a lot!
You're currently using the wrong definition of "wrong". In SC, an option is correct if it is the best of the 5 options (it doesn't have to be perfect).

Although the correct option needs to be grammatically correct, concepts like redundancy do not lead to a yes/no decision in isolation. You must consider the other options before removing an option on the basis of redundancy.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 6

Re: Is "and also" definitely wrong(because of redundancy)?   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2017, 00:57

Is "and also" definitely wrong(because of redundancy)?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap