Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V35
Send PM
Re: Is it realistic for me to apply to top schools (M7)? [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
ExLawyer wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is worthwhile for me to apply to the lower M7 MBA programs as I am really not sure of my chances. As a Canadian citizen my fallback option would probably be some Canadian MBA program. About me: I just wrote the GMAT and I scored a 710 (45 Verbal, 43 Quantitative). I am a Harvard Law School graduate (Juris Doctor degree) and I am licensed to practice law in the State of New York. However, I have not actually practiced law after graduation as I did not find the work very stimulating. Besides my time spent as a summer associate at a top 40 law firm in New York, my only work experience thus far is two years as a political science researcher at a think tank in Hong Kong. I have a Bachelor's degree in English literature from UBC (in Canada) where I had a 4.0 GPA but my GPA at Harvard was mediocre (roughly equivalent to a 3.0). I would not consider my quantitative skills to be strong and I am not very interested in finance so I am already ruling myself out for programs such as MIT and Wharton. My interest in MBA primarily stems from the fact that I am trying to start a small business focusing on education consulting and I want to gain more business knowledge and expertise so that hopefully I can grow my business and perhaps network with people who I can partner with or learn from. Also I would like to know if it is possible at all for foreign students to receive scholarships as the tuition at these MBA programs is quite high and after having already paid for a law degree I am not too keen on piling onto my debt. Thank you.

ExLawyer

Well dude,
You have a good overall profile, but what it sounds like to me from here is that you are banking on your MBA to make your business successful, yet at the same time you lack the experience to prove you can make it happen.

I think that from here, your lack of work experience is by far the biggest challenge, and before you shelled out 200K for an MBA, you might want to work for a few years first, which would also do much to alleviate that debt issue :)

Best,

this! + u don't wanna look like ur just bouncing around from prestige credential to prestige credential. i know ppl who went from lawyer -> b school so the path isn't totally novel but they had big law xperirnce
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
Send PM
Is it realistic for me to apply to top schools (M7)? [#permalink]
Thanks for the responses. I believe they have been very helpful. I just have two questions, if anyone is still interested in answering them: first, if I re write the GMAT either this year or next cycle, and get a higher score, would this have a significant effect on my application or would I still be hampered by my lack of work experience? Second, what kind of work experience would actually be helpful in terms of boosting my chances of getting into a top MBA Program? Seeing as I am not interested in doing biglaw, it seems like my options are quite limited in terms of the kinds of jobs that I would be able to work at that would make a difference in the application. If this is the case then I will probably either skip doing an MBA entirely for at least a few years or I will go to a Canadian program if I am accepted and just stay here. (The UBC MBA program costs only $40K US and I am hoping to get a scholarship from them seeing as their average GMAT is only 650). Thanks.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Answers below...

1)The average for the M7 programs is hovering around 730 these days so if you can hit this number or above it will certainly help your candidacy. I think this is most effective however combined with a bit more good work experience

2)The best type of experience will get you closer to your eventual career goals while allowing you opportunities to make an impact and further develop your interpersonal skills (i.e. leadership, teamwork, etc)
GMAT Club Bot