GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is My Profile Relevant For An MBA?(Profile Evaluation and Questions)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Is My Profile Relevant For An MBA?(Profile Evaluation and Questions)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Jul 2018, 04:54
Hi everyone,
Let me first tell you what happened recently. I took the GMAT on Dec. 23rd 2017 and scored 740(Q50,V41). I applied to 5 schools and got dinged from all of them.

University of Minnesota Twin Cities(Round 3) - Rejected without Interview.

NYU(Round 2) - Rejected without Interview.

UNC Chapel Hill(Round 3) - Rejected with Interview.

UW Foster(Round 2) - Rejected with Interview.

University of Rochester(Round 2) - Rejected with Interview after being waitlisted.

Please now look at my profile.

Age - 28

Sex - Male

Citizenship - Indian

Academics - B.Tech in Computer Science from Rajasthan Technical University. Graduated in 2013 with 61.35% overall.

Work Experience
- 5 years in the Education Industry for a small Overseas Education Consultant.
- I started as a Quantitative Aptitude Trainer for GRE and SAT.
- Now I am also a Curriculum Developer. I have created test prep content for the company. I have also helped students prepare and execute systematic test prep schedules.
- I have trained many students and most of my students have scored high.
- I have also helped the company grow business by delivering course marketing presentations at schools and colleges.(This is when I decided to move to Marketing using an MBA)

GMAT - 740(Q50,V41). This is the first time I appeared for the test.

Additional Information
- I volunteer for a well known organization that works towards solving the problem of hunger.
- During graduation, I was a part of many committees responsible for organizing the college fest.
- During graduation, I along with my class mate started an information website for engineers, on which we had articles on various fields. I headed the Content Writing Division where I managed a team of 20 writers(these writers were our juniors or batch mates). It was live for a very short duration because everybody had other work commitments.

Goal
To switch career towards a Marketing profile(mostly product development and market research). I am open to any industry. Kindly forgive if this may sound not well thought off. I am seriously working on my goals to have a much better idea about this in that I am discussing it with many professionals. I applied to UNC Chapel Hill for a switch to Management Consulting. I kind of have realized that I cannot break into that industry.

Questions
- Will my work experience be considered for admission? Is this profile even relevant to get an MBA?
- Which universities should I realistically target?
- Kindly give advice on a relevant career switch post MBA for me.

Some of my target schools are
McDonough, Kelley, Tepper, Mccombs, Olin(St. Missouri), and Marshall.

I was heart broken to be dinged from all universities. I have come to the point of questioning whether I am even eligible for a top MBA. Please please help. :cry:

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Originally posted by ShashankDave on 08 Jul 2018, 01:54.
Last edited by ShashankDave on 08 Jul 2018, 04:54, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Is My Profile Relevant For An MBA?(Profile Evaluation and Questions)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 02:07
ShashankDave I don't really think it's a matter of how appropriate your work experience is but how you might have done in using that experience to highlight the priorities of top Business Schools. Ie leadership, teamwork problem-solving etcetera.

Also definitely investigate what might have happened with regards to your recommendations.

Interviews failed to convert so I think it's important to look at that, how you come across on camera and of course the substance of your responses.

My suspicion is that you have failed to do adequate research in three critical areas yourself, your goals, and the school.

And of course how your goals fit with the school....and yourself, actually.

If you look like a recruitment risk in terms of clarity with your career goals, that will result in rejection.

If you have inconsistent statements in recommendations....or recs are not helpful to you as a means to differentiate you from the massive Indian applicant pool, that will result in rejection.

Get a ding analysis so that you can gain more clarity on this rather than feeling persecuted.... once the problem comes into focus so will the solution. You can fix this.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is My Profile Relevant For An MBA?(Profile Evaluation and Questions)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 02:18
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
ShashankDave I don't really think it's a matter of how appropriate your work experience is but how you might have done in using that experience to highlight the priorities of top Business Schools. Ie leadership, teamwork problem-solving etcetera.

Also definitely investigate what might have happened with regards to your recommendations.

Interviews failed to convert so I think it's important to look at that, how you come across on camera and of course the substance of your responses.

My suspicion is that you have failed to do adequate research in three critical areas yourself, your goals, and the school.

And of course how your goals fit with the school....and yourself, actually.

If you look like a recruitment risk in terms of clarity with your career goals, that will result in rejection.

If you have inconsistent statements in recommendations....or recs are not helpful to you as a means to differentiate you from the massive Indian applicant pool, that will result in rejection.

Get a ding analysis so that you can gain more clarity on this rather than feeling persecuted.... once the problem comes into focus so will the solution. You can fix this.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Hi. Thank you for your prompt response. I agree on what you've pointed out. As far as my recommendations go, I got recommendations from my Director and a past client. Both of the recommendations were great.

Kindly answer this question as well - If I got an interview invite, does that mean that they found my work experience relevant for an MBA?
I am emphasizing on this because I want to know whether my profile is relevant to be accepted for an MBA or not. Please also advise on which universities I must realistically target in the USA.

Thank you for all your help.

Posted from my mobile device

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 04:30
Hello ShashankDave

On paper you seem to have a decent profile. (You can read here on what makes a strong profile)
Good GMAT, unique work ex, potentially enough stories to tell and strong looking extracurricular activities.
It is really difficult to pinpoint a single thing (with the info given) that is a dead giveaway of your rejection.
The only place I feel you could have gone wrong is 1)Career goals (looks a bit disconnected as you may not have been able to showcase transferable skills to make such a transition), 2)Essays (ultimately what you choose to present is who you are to the admissions committee) or 3)Interviews- if your goals or schools were not well researched or interview prep was not up to the mark.
A profile is made up of Acads+Quality of Work Ex+Diversity+Goals
I do not see a glaring weakness anywhere except perhaps Career Goals. You could add to your research by reading more on career goals after an MBA here
So at this stage I strongly believe no one can give you a detailed feedback without first looking at your actual applications, as that is where the real devil lies.
Should you have any further questions, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ShashankDave wrote:
Hi everyone,
Let me first tell you what happened recently. I took the GMAT on Dec. 23rd 2017 and scored 740(Q50,V41). I applied to 5 schools and got dinged from all of them.

University of Minnesota Twin Cities(Round 3) - Rejected without Interview.

NYU(Round 2) - Rejected without Interview.

UNC Chapel Hill(Round 3) - Rejected with Interview.

UW Foster(Round 2) - Rejected with Interview.

University of Rochester(Round 2) - Rejected with Interview after being waitlisted.

Please now look at my profile.

Age - 28

Sex - Male

Citizenship - Indian

Academics - B.Tech in Computer Science from Rajasthan Technical University. Graduated in 2013 with 61.35% overall.

Work Experience
- 5 years in the Education Industry for a small Overseas Education Consultant.
- I started as a Quantitative Aptitude Trainer for GRE and SAT.
- Now I am also a Curriculum Developer. I have created test prep content for the company. I have also helped students prepare and execute systematic test prep schedules.
- I have trained many students and most of my students have scored high.
- I have also helped the company grow business by delivering course marketing presentations at schools and colleges.(This is when I decided to move to Marketing using an MBA)

GMAT - 740(Q50,V41). This is the first time I appeared for the test.

Additional Information
- I volunteer for a well known organization that works towards solving the problem of hunger.
- During graduation, I was a part of many committees responsible for organizing the college fest.
- During graduation, I along with my class mate started an information website for engineers, on which we had articles on various fields. I headed the Content Writing Division where I managed a team of 20 writers(these writers were our juniors or batch mates). It was live for a very short duration because everybody had other work commitments.

Goal
To switch career towards a Marketing profile(mostly product development and market research). I am open to any industry. Kindly forgive if this may sound not well thought off. I am seriously working on my goals to have a much better idea about this in that I am discussing it with many professionals. I applied to UNC Chapel Hill for a switch to Management Consulting. I kind of have realized that I cannot break into that industry.

Questions
- Will my work experience be considered for admission? Is this profile even relevant to get an MBA?
- Which universities should I realistically target?
- Kindly give advice on a relevant career switch post MBA for me.

I was heart broken to be dinged from all universities. I have come to the point of questioning whether I am even eligible for a top MBA. Please please help. :cry:

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is My Profile Relevant For An MBA?(Profile Evaluation and Questions) &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jul 2018, 04:30

Is My Profile Relevant For An MBA?(Profile Evaluation and Questions)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap