Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA6)
Work experience:
Full time 2.5 years, freelance 1.5 years.

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
I also won numerous awards in -
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography
Best short film (director)

I wish to get into financial consulting post MBA.

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.17
WE:Other (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Taranveersingh93 wrote:
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
Work experience:

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Profile looks fantastic. You can try M7 too. But what is financial consulting? What's the target company? I think you may have two things you need to overcome (same as other candidates) - 1, the essay; 2, the interview. If you have the essay right, I am sure you will get an interview. Also who will write your recommendation and what position they have?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Experts!

I'd like to kindly request you for your feedback on my profile. Here goes.

Background:
Indian Male
Age 27
GMAT 720 (Q50, V38)
Industry: Consulting (Front end consulting role in one of the largest HR Consulting organizations in the world, typically held by Tier-1 MBA professionals)

Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Delhi (CGPA – 7.0)

Work Experience: Total 4+ years (in india)
Worked for over 2 years in a social sector consulting startup and 1 year in an election campaign strategy firm (a SuperPAC). Working in the strategic HR consulting for last 1 year.

Extra curriculars – Won international competitions and worked on two international projects in Europe. Worked as Coordinator in various campus festivals and a student association club.

Post MBA Goal – Work in MBB strategy consulting firms

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Dear all,

Please evaluate my profile for 2020 intake

Personal profile: 25 years, female, Indian

Academic background:
Msc.(Hons.) Mathematics and B.E. Hons(Mechanical) from BITS PILANI PILANI CAMPUS (Tier -1 college which ranks at par with IIT's)
10th from CBSE: 92.7%
12th from CBSE: 91.4%
GMAT: Total score : 710 (Q50 V35 AWA 4.5 and IR 8)

Professional background:
Quant Analyst in financial services risk mananagement in one of the big four accounting firms.
Worked as a consultant to major US banks for developing their internal models as per latest FRTB regulations.
Performed annual model review for credit, market models as per SR11-7 regulations.

Extracurriculars :Organized cultural events of a regional association as the secretary , conducted several events during cultural fests as the joint coordinator of a club.

Total Work experience: 22 months (as on May 2019)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.6
WE:Real Estate (Real Estate)
Send PM
Background and nationality - Indian Age -25
Undergrad Information - Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences, Dubai - UAE B.E Mechanical Engineering GPA - 8.10/10
Grad Information - Rutgers University-New Brunswick M.S Industrial and Systems Engineering GPA - 3.146/4
GRE: 325 V-158 Q-167 AWA- 4.0
Work experience and leadership- Went for masters immediately after my undergrad. Finished masters in Oct 2017. Came back and joined my family business. Been working for the past 2 years. We are into real estate. Looking to pursue an MBA with real estate specialization. I also manage a couple of private equity investments I made in the past two years in the fields of F&B and Agritech. I also started a firm to do small scale projects and manage the investments on my own.
Community and others - As a family, we do a lot of community service and specifically work with an orphan and below poverty school by helping the kids with their education. We set up a library under the name of my grandparents recently. We spend time at the school organizing special lunches and sports for the kids on the birth and death anniversaries of my family members.
Sports - I represented my high school and undergrad school teams in Cricket and Volleyball. I was the captain of my U-13, U-15 and U-17 cricket team in middle school and high school.
Post-MBA goals - Join my family business and make a smooth transition of the business from my father to me. He is going to be 60 in a couple of years and wants to retire or at least just advice me on the business instead of running it.
Anything else?
I love cooking. I worked for free as an assistant to the head chef at a farm cooking school in new jersey so that I get to learn how to cook. I use to help him in the cooking classes, monthly dinners and weekend open market at the farm. They only use the ingredients produced by the farm in all their events. I learned to cook French, Italian, Mexican cuisines and basics techniques.
Travel - wildlife, nature and adventure enthusiast. Lived in 2 countries other than India for a period of more than 2 years. Traveled to around 12 countries including Galapagos Islands. I also traveled around 14 states in the USA including Alaska. I love hiking and trekking. I visited around 5 national parks in the USA.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Freelancing/family business indeed counts as work experience. You want to make sure that you 1. capture the impact you've made in each role on your resume and 2. get recommendations from non-family members (i.e. clients). Have you been involved in any extracurriculars post-college? That would certainly boost your profile as well. I think your academics are fine.

Taranveersingh93 wrote:
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Work experience:

Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi - I see you've posted to a few different school threads so I'll just answer here. Admission is very competitive for Indian applicants, and 2 years of work experience is on the lower end. I recommend waiting another year to apply if you can increase your leadership experience at your family business and in your community work. In the meantime, I recommend giving GRE another shot to boost the Verbal score if possible. Hope that helps a bit!

manikantanutakki wrote:
Background and nationality - Indian Age -25
Undergrad Information - Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences, Dubai - UAE B.E Mechanical Engineering GPA - 8.10/10
Grad Information - Rutgers University-New Brunswick M.S Industrial and Systems Engineering GPA - 3.146/4
GRE: 325 V-158 Q-167 AWA- 4.0
Work experience and leadership- Went for masters immediately after my undergrad. Finished masters in Oct 2017. Came back and joined my family business. Been working for the past 2 years. We are into real estate. Looking to pursue an MBA with real estate specialization. I also manage a couple of private equity investments I made in the past two years in the fields of F&B and Agritech. I also started a firm to do small scale projects and manage the investments on my own.
Community and others - As a family, we do a lot of community service and specifically work with an orphan and below poverty school by helping the kids with their education. We set up a library under the name of my grandparents recently. We spend time at the school organizing special lunches and sports for the kids on the birth and death anniversaries of my family members.
Sports - I represented my high school and undergrad school teams in Cricket and Volleyball. I was the captain of my U-13, U-15 and U-17 cricket team in middle school and high school.
Post-MBA goals - Join my family business and make a smooth transition of the business from my father to me. He is going to be 60 in a couple of years and wants to retire or at least just advice me on the business instead of running it.
Anything else?
I love cooking. I worked for free as an assistant to the head chef at a farm cooking school in new jersey so that I get to learn how to cook. I use to help him in the cooking classes, monthly dinners and weekend open market at the farm. They only use the ingredients produced by the farm in all their events. I learned to cook French, Italian, Mexican cuisines and basics techniques.
Travel - wildlife, nature and adventure enthusiast. Lived in 2 countries other than India for a period of more than 2 years. Traveled to around 12 countries including Galapagos Islands. I also traveled around 14 states in the USA including Alaska. I love hiking and trekking. I visited around 5 national parks in the USA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Hello,

Ethnicity:
Korean-American

Academics:
Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance

GMAT:
740 (2nd attempt; thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 750+ due to my demographic)

Experience:
100% in the aerospace industry (internships)

Current Job:
Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Intended Post-MBA Career:
Management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

I have an untraditional background and I don’t feel like I have a good chance getting into Stern.
I’m planning on taking my GMAT in a few weeks and have been getting 650's on my CATs. Here’s my background:

Male / 26 / White
I graduated high school in 2011 and left college after one semester to work full time and take care of my family.

Work experience:
5 Years in retail electronics/telecom in supervisory/manager positions
Voluntarily stepped down back into a sales role and returned to school full time.

Education:
In 2015 attended community college full time and graduated early with a associates in business administration and a 4.0 GPA.
Transferred to NYU on scholarship and graduated with my undergraduate degree in business management early with a 3.9 GPA.

Before graduating I took a banker job at a retail bank to get some experience in financial services. I have since obtained my SIE/Series 6/63.

I have now been in that position for just over year and I’m ready to finally make a move.

Do you think I have any shot? My profile doesn’t really jump off the page.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, just curious if I could get a profile review.

Upon matriculation
26 male from USA
670 GMAT 48 Q 34 V 6 IR 6 AWA
Undergrad 3.8 GPA in Computer Engineering and Business Administration
Full time work experience 24 months FP&A Analyst (skipped staff accountant level).
Intern experience in IT and Quality Assurance
Student Athlete at NCAA DI level
Volunteered numerous places most notable Special Olympics
Graduate with numerous academic awards from my conference (best GPA of student athlete etc)

Thank you for any guidance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,
I'm looking for insight on my profile and tips to help strengthen it. Disclaimer: Pardon any errors, submitting on my phone.

Personal: 32 Year old, African American male. First generation college/grad student

Field of Interest: General Management
GMAT: September 2019-Aiming for 720

Undergrad Specs: I did 2 years of community college where I got a 3.5GPA before transferring to an Ivy where I graduated with a 2.67, (3.09 cumulative if you consider both transcripts, but I am not sure how I'd report this). I transferred in as a Mathematics major but switched over to Finance/Accounting. I had a rough first year....made the mistake of taking several extremely difficult classes at once (coming from the CC I def wasn't prepared for the academic vigor), I also worked F/T to support myself and family back home. While in college I was a chess tutor and on the debate team. I also cofound a nonprofit, although we were only able to maintain it for a year.

Work Experience: I have 9 years of work experience....the first 3 were spent in Finance (2 years at a blue chip where I completed a finance rotation program). I then transitioned to Sales (tech) where I spent 2.5 years at another blue chip and completed a sales leadership rotation. I moved to a startup VAR where I was one of the first 5 employees, but left after 8 months due to instability. I spent a few months on my own as an independent consultant before moving to my current role. I've spent the last 3 years of my career at a Fortune 500 tech company where I am a top performer.

I also co-founded a construction company (albeit now defunct), where I managed Sales/Marketing. Despite inconsistent staffing, we still managed to generate about 275K in sales our first year. We decided to let the business go when my co-founder's wife got sick. It was too much to manage on my own with my current job.

Extracurricular: Served as officer/active member of a nationwide nonprofit, multiracial organization that focuses on the enhancement of economic/educational opportunities for African Americans. I've also spent the last 3 years coaching chess at local schools and community centers throughout my city.

Recommendation Letters: Current Manager, Former Business Partner, Former Mentee (Tutored individual throughout CC to help him get into Top 50 UG program), Former Mentor (Instrumental in helping me transition from CC to Ivy)
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MrAnthony16,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You, indeed, do not have a traditional path, which should not be a deterrent. You did not clarify your goals in your post, which is an essential process of the evaluation - linking your past and future. What have your experiences taught you? In professional direction do you see yourself going? Do you want to remain in finance, or are you looking for a change?

Academically, you have a strong performance. You fit in the NYU culture, so that should not be an issue. As to your GMAT, when is it scheduled? I recommend you try and break the 700 overall score.

As you pointed out, your profile doesn't jump out of the page. That said, admission is still possible. A strong strategic approach and a nuanced lens through which you tell your story will make a significant difference in the outcome of your application(s).

I am happy to discuss further how we can help you submit a stellar application to your target MBA programs. When ready, please reach out to coordinate a call.

MrAnthony16 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have an untraditional background and I don’t feel like I have a good chance getting into Stern.
I’m planning on taking my GMAT in a few weeks and have been getting 650's on my CATs. Here’s my background:

Male / 26 / White
I graduated high school in 2011 and left college after one semester to work full time and take care of my family.

Work experience:
Voluntarily stepped down back into a sales role and returned to school full time.

Education:
In 2015 attended community college full time and graduated early with a associates in business administration and a 4.0 GPA.
Transferred to NYU on scholarship and graduated with my undergraduate degree in business management early with a 3.9 GPA.

Before graduating I took a banker job at a retail bank to get some experience in financial services. I have since obtained my SIE/Series 6/63.

I have now been in that position for just over year and I’m ready to finally make a move.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jimmy9iron

Thank you for your post. What are your professional goals? Why do you require an MBA? You have excellent academics and awards will serve you well (where does your undergraduate institution rank?). An area I would consider improving is your GMAT (preferably breaking 700). As to the ECs you mention, are they recent?

A clearer understanding of your goals and experiences is required to provide a profile evaluation. When you are ready, please reach out to discuss offline.

jimmy9iron wrote:

Upon matriculation
26 male from USA
Full time work experience 24 months FP&A Analyst (skipped staff accountant level).
Graduate with numerous academic awards from my conference (best GPA of student athlete etc)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for reaching out!

My experience in retail/banking has opened my eyes to all the issues that these business face. I am determined to move into a retail consulting role at a top firm post-MBA. As for my long term goal, I plan on establishing a non-profit that mentors teens from low income families in personal finance and provides higher ed counseling.

My GMAT is scheduled for the last week of July so hopefully I can pull my score up a little.

Thanks again for the response,

Anthony

SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi MrAnthony16,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You, indeed, do not have a traditional path, which should not be a deterrent. You did not clarify your goals in your post, which is an essential process of the evaluation - linking your past and future. What have your experiences taught you? In professional direction do you see yourself going? Do you want to remain in finance, or are you looking for a change?

Academically, you have a strong performance. You fit in the NYU culture, so that should not be an issue. As to your GMAT, when is it scheduled? I recommend you try and break the 700 overall score.

As you pointed out, your profile doesn't jump out of the page. That said, admission is still possible. A strong strategic approach and a nuanced lens through which you tell your story will make a significant difference in the outcome of your application(s).

I am happy to discuss further how we can help you submit a stellar application to your target MBA programs. When ready, please reach out to coordinate a call.

MrAnthony16 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Male / 26 / White

Work experience:

Education:

Send PM
Expert Reply
Happy to help.

Your professional goals seem attainable, although the long-term goal will require a bit more fleshing out. I would also look at expanding your target school - Yale SOM is stronger in the retail and non-profit spheres.

I wish you great success with your GMAT and the application season.

Susan

MrAnthony16 wrote:
Thanks for reaching out!

My experience in retail/banking has opened my eyes to all the issues that these business face. I am determined to move into a retail consulting role at a top firm post-MBA. As for my long term goal, I plan on establishing a non-profit that mentors teens from low income families in personal finance and provides higher ed counseling.

My GMAT is scheduled for the last week of July so hopefully I can pull my score up a little.

Thanks again for the response,

Anthony

SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi MrAnthony16,

MrAnthony16 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Male / 26 / White

Work experience:

Education:

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there - thanks for writing! With a 670 GMAT and only 2 years of work experience, I think Stern would be tough. I recommend waiting at least a year and bringing the GMAT up to 720+. You've got good post-collegiate extracurricular involvement (and being a D1 athlete in college definitely boosts your profile), but if you can elevate it to a leadership capacity that would be even better. Hope that helps a bit!

jimmy9iron wrote:

Upon matriculation
26 male from USA

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi - you've got an intriguing profile! Since you have 9 years of work experience and are doing well at your current job, would you consider the PT MBA program if you foresee yourself staying there for at least a couple more years? I think that your lower GPA would be less of an issue there vs. for the full-time program (although in any case, you'll want to nail the GMAT to offset the GPA).

noble89 wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for insight on my profile and tips to help strengthen it. Disclaimer: Pardon any errors, submitting on my phone.

Personal: 32 Year old, African American male. First generation college/grad student

Field of Interest: General Management
GMAT: September 2019-Aiming for 720

Undergrad Specs: I did 2 years of community college where I got a 3.5GPA before transferring to an Ivy where I graduated with a 2.67, (3.09 cumulative if you consider both transcripts, but I am not sure how I'd report this). I transferred in as a Mathematics major but switched over to Finance/Accounting. I had a rough first year....made the mistake of taking several extremely difficult classes at once (coming from the CC I def wasn't prepared for the academic vigor), I also worked F/T to support myself and family back home. While in college I was a chess tutor and on the debate team. I also cofound a nonprofit, although we were only able to maintain it for a year.

Work Experience: I have 9 years of work experience....the first 3 were spent in Finance (2 years at a blue chip where I completed a finance rotation program). I then transitioned to Sales (tech) where I spent 2.5 years at another blue chip and completed a sales leadership rotation. I moved to a startup VAR where I was one of the first 5 employees, but left after 8 months due to instability. I spent a few months on my own as an independent consultant before moving to my current role. I've spent the last 3 years of my career at a Fortune 500 tech company where I am a top performer.

I also co-founded a construction company (albeit now defunct), where I managed Sales/Marketing. Despite inconsistent staffing, we still managed to generate about 275K in sales our first year. We decided to let the business go when my co-founder's wife got sick. It was too much to manage on my own with my current job.

Extracurricular: Served as officer/active member of a nationwide nonprofit, multiracial organization that focuses on the enhancement of economic/educational opportunities for African Americans. I've also spent the last 3 years coaching chess at local schools and community centers throughout my city.

Recommendation Letters: Current Manager, Former Business Partner, Former Mentee (Tutored individual throughout CC to help him get into Top 50 UG program), Former Mentor (Instrumental in helping me transition from CC to Ivy)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11