It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 20:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 12:20
krishank1808 wrote:
Thank you for the valuable inputs GyanOne. I would definitely look to improve my GMAT score by giving a retake.

On the career goals aspect, the intent of joining family business was to gain exposure to client interactions in the project finance domain, which along with the tax consulting experience could assist in the strategy consulting. Though EY provided ample opportunities to interact with clients to optimise their tax costs, the primary concern of a new business being set up is beyond tax costs/ benefits and more towards ease of gaining access to cheap capital in India.

Thus, the main intent to join the family business was to understand important problems faced by SME's relating to their funding requirements which are more critical to their survival than tax optimisation. I realised after working in the corporate tax division at EY that tax costs are not the primary driving force for firms while implementing a key business decision (say, setting up an entity in India) and they consider other factors such as ease of accessing capital, infrastructure, etc before considering the estimates of tax outflow/ benefit. Thus, I considered the family business as a viable means to understand and gain experience in knowing how one can service clients to assist them to gain access to capital.

The long term goal is to render services in the management consulting domain which I understand could involve advice relating to wide range of problems (including but not limited to tax and access to capital). Please do let me know if this isn't clear as I would want to justify joining family business towards my long term goal of rendering services in the management consulting domain.


Hi krishank1808,

Thank you for explaining. That helps clear the confusion. We initially thought what you meant was that you wanted to work for an external consulting firm in the long term. If the objective is really to add management consulting capability to your family firm, it squares up well. To achieve this objective, you might like to work (in the short-term, post-MBA) with a strategy consulting firm (outside the domain of tax, audit, or even project finance) to learn the ropes and then apply them back to your family business. Growing the management consulting practice organically from within your firm without this exposure might not be as easy.

Hope this helps. As always, feel free to come back with more questions.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 12:42
Hi GyanOne - Your understanding is correct. Thanks a lot for all your valuable thoughts and inputs.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2015
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 05:45
GyanOne wrote:
On the recommendation, it is preferred if you can get it from your boss, but if there is a professional hitch in the way, you can also ask someone else in the organization who is senior to you and is more of a confidante. Sometimes, people also ask clients. You can explain in your optional essay the reason for not asking your direct supervisor.


gyanone,

Appreciate your patience with my queries so far. So I understand that I can say in the optional essay why I didn't get his recommendation but I am wondering if ISB will think that the real reason is my bad work performance or something like that which is not the case. So how can I ensure they don't think like that?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2014
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Schools: ISB '17, Olin '17, CBS
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 08:11
Hi,
My profile is as below :
10th 89%
12th 90%
B-Tech : 8.7 CGPA (Computer Science and Engineering from VIT University)
GMAT : yet to take (targetting 720-750, going by practice exams).

Work Ex : 3 yrs (June, 2015).
Work Ex : I joined an early stage start-up after working 5 months in IT service company in India. I joined as the second employee and had helped the company to grow ground up.Company has secured good funding and is doing pretty well. Currently serving travelling market in Malaysia and Singapore and soon will be expanding to Indonesia. I have played a key role in the development of whole technical infrastructure. I am currently leading a team consisting of members from different countries : Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, India, Tunisia to name a few.

Long term career goal : Management Consulting/Technical Management.

Questions :
1.How well placed is my current profile for schools like ISB, INSEAD, HKUST etc?
2.If I am planning to apply next year, what should I do to enhance my chances of getting into the above mentioned schools (other than good GMAT score) ?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 03:32
Hi Vikram,

Your work experience is your biggest differentiator. The exposure and experience you have working for an early stage startup as well as for multiple foreign markets will set you apart. Startup experience also means that you have managed teams early in your career and that is a further positive.

By long-term goal, we assume you mean post-ISB goal, and at the moment the two you have mentioned are somewhat at odds with each other. Both are feasible, but at least for the management consulting part (if you go with that), you will need strong reasons for choosing that post-MBA. Perhaps look at Tech Consulting as an option as well.

On your questions:
1. Assuming you can get a decent GMAT score, you will be competitive at ISB and HKUST. To evaluate on INSEAD, will need more details on your experience abroad + your GMAT score, to comment more deeply.
2. First of all, ensure a strong GMAT score. That will help you more than anything else here. This article will also help. Some volunteering and community work (done sincerely, not just for the app) can also help a bit.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with further questions.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 23:06
ISB MFAB Admissions team interviews with GyanOne

ISB MFAB (Management Program for Family Business) Admissions team interviews with GyanOne, providing insights into the program features, application process and admission criterion.

GyanOne: How is the MFAB different in structure and curriculum from the PGP and PGPMAX offered by ISB? What are the unique features of the MFAB?

ISB MFAB Admissions Team:

Much like PGPMAX, MFAB is a modular program. Students spend one week on campus attending classes for every six weeks. In all, there are twelve terms including the one term that happens at Kellogg. PGP is a full-time residential program.
These three are post graduate level management programs; the focus of MFAB is imparting skills necessary to take the family business to the next level. Therefore, in addition to covering core management principles, students get exposure to courses that address specific family business related challenges. Another important and unique feature of MFAB is international exposure that students get. They get to spend one week at Kellogg which has a family business center that has been doing quite a lot of work on issues related to family business.

GyanOne: While family business owners want to have a holistic view of business and general business understanding, they also invariably wish to focus on different functional aspects (like finance, marketing, or operations) as well as different industries (like manufacturing, real estate, or healthcare). What does the MFAB offer in terms of these?

ISB MFAB Admissions Team: As part of the core curriculum, students get exposed to all functional aspects of the business viz., finance, marketing, operations etc., In addition, the cases discussed as part the of the classes are selected from various industries. In addition, MFAB class is very diverse. This diversity will also enrich class discussion and students benefit from the functional and industry experience of the classmates.

GyanOne: Is the MFAB offered at both campuses (Hyderabad and Mohali)? Is the program exactly the same in both these locations or are there location-specific specializations?

ISB MFAB Admissions Team: There is only one cohort/class per intake. Classes are predominantly held in Mohali with few terms held in Hyderabad, and one term at Kellogg.

GyanOne: Networking is often seen as an important aspect of MBA programs worldwide. While it is understood that MFAB students would network with their peers within the program, what avenues are available to offer them a platform to network with PGP and PGPMAX students, given that these networks are much bigger?

ISB MFAB Admissions Team: MFAB students get plenty of opportunities to network. The networking starts when they enter the program and continues even after their graduation. PGP, PGPMAX and MFAB students become members of ISB Alumni Network which has chapters in various cities. They get to participate in alumni events and continue to network. Thus the networking is not limited to within the MFAB network but across all post graduate programmes offered by ISB.

Read Full Interview here

GyanOne has helped hundreds of applicants gain admission in top MBA programs. With our detailed MBA Essay Editing service and experienced consultants, it aims to help you create the best MBA Application, a strong resume and focused recommendation strategy to get accepted into top MBA programs. Contact now to get started!

This interview was originally published on the GyanOne MBA Admissions Consulting Blog, the official blog of GyanOne.

For more resources, visit GyanOne Blog
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 00:05
thesehgal2015 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
On the recommendation, it is preferred if you can get it from your boss, but if there is a professional hitch in the way, you can also ask someone else in the organization who is senior to you and is more of a confidante. Sometimes, people also ask clients. You can explain in your optional essay the reason for not asking your direct supervisor.


gyanone,

Appreciate your patience with my queries so far. So I understand that I can say in the optional essay why I didn't get his recommendation but I am wondering if ISB will think that the real reason is my bad work performance or something like that which is not the case. So how can I ensure they don't think like that?


Hi thesehgal2015,

The easy way is to show stong work performance alongside, so they know that is not the reason. Don't worry - ISB receives plenty of explanations that are similar, and they understand to an extent that not everyone is in a position to ask the direct supervisor. So its not really a big issue with them.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 03:46
Why is ISB Hyderabad the Most Prefered MBA among Indian Applicants?

The ISB MBA is one of the most popular MBA programs among applicants in the Indian and larger Asian region. While a lot has already been said about ISB’s infrastructure, the quality of its faculty, the prestige of the ISB MBA, and its affiliation with other top b-schools, this article seeks to present an insider’s view of some of the other things that make Indian School of Business a great school to attend. The ISB MBA is actually the ISB PGP (Post Graduate Program) in Management, but as most people refer to it as the ISB MBA, that is what we too will do in this post.

Social initiatives: ISB is host to a local chapter of the Net Impact club. This club provides students with plenty of opportunities to lend a helping hand to the needy. Some of the activities that students can participate in through this club are:

(a) Social welfare activities like organizing blood donation camps and health check-up camps. Another important event is Bandhan, an annual event where ISB MBA (PGP) students celebrate India’s Independence Day (Aug 15) with less privileged students from four Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) across Hyderabad.

(b) Management consulting and strategizing opportunities for non-profits. The club provides opportunities for giving pro-bono consulting services to non-profits. This is a great learning experience as it allows students to apply business and management principles to real-life problems. Although the consulting opportunities are only open with non-profits through this initiative, the problems that students solve may be classic business problems, ranging from improving operations to managing finances better to creating a marketing strategy. Similarly, iDiya (pioneered in 2011) is a social venture competition that allows non-profits, b-school students, and working professionals to showcase their ideas/ventures centred on social change.

(c) Strategy events and workshops for non-profits. These events give students a chance to participate in imparting skills and business acumen to non-profits. The Diffusion initiative (started in 2011) saw students come together with the Central University of Bihar to offer skill-building courses as part of a two-day workshop for non-profits. Similarly, the Social Venture Implementation initiative allows students to write a paper about the role of social enterprises in emerging markets. The aim is to provide an idea platform for alumni who want to start a social venture.

ISB Exchange Program and Leadership Initiatives
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 12:12
Hello GyanOne,
I am planning to apply for R2 of ISB, need some inputs on my profile,
Profile:
X: 95.6% CBSE
XII : 79.4% CBSE
Grad: 7.29/10 (B.E Mechanical){Birla institute of Technology,Ranchi}
GMAT: 690(Q:50(87 % percentile, V:31(61% perecentile), IR:8, AWA:5
Work Ex: 52 months on Apr 16,
Company: JSPL(jindal steel and power limited):plate Mill.
BHEL-PSER, part of BHEL(a Maharatna PSU) Engaged in erection , commissioning and servicing of power plants in eastern region of india.

Work Ex Description :
Joined as Engineer trainee,BHEL.
Was promoted to engineer in within 1 year.
I have worked on two projects :
IOCL Barauni: 1X20 MW+150 TPH Boiler: Erection and commissioning of a captive power plant at IOCL barauni.
I worked with a small team as it was small project of Rs 105 Cr. The value of mechanical works was Rs 7 Cr. Value. Was involved from the starting of mechanical works till the closure of the project.
EPC Barauni(customer Bihar state electricity Board):2X250 MW: my current project. Involved in project management,assuring quality of work and procurement of small value materials(less than 10 Lakhs). The total cost of mechanical works is Rs 20 Cr.
Long term career goal - Management Consulting/ Project management

Extra curricular : Was part of my University cricket team. Was part of the JSPL raigarh team;a decent badminton player(though never won a tourney )Won some quizzes inter school competitions.
My Questions:-

How will you rate my profile for ISB and XLRI-General management?
I don't have much to show under achievements and extra curriculars, so, what else can I do now to enhance my profile in such a short span of time, if there is any?
Should i retake GMAT?
What all other B-Schools should I target?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 23:01
Hi Somdebb,

You have worked in the public sector and also with a large private steel player. The importance and magnitude of the projects you have worked on gives you a differentiator right there. Your acads are decent, and your GMAT score, while not outstanding, should be fine for your profile and experience.

You are not outstanding in terms of the ECA part, but you do have enough activities to mention and not be considered weak there either. Further, your profile is more EPC and project management focused, so you will need to translate this to a future business objective, as well as clearly explain why you wish to pursue a career in consulting. A career in consulting, though, is very feasible for you - top consulting firms value the kind of experience you have. Also note that Management Consulting and Project Management are widely different goals, so you should have one clear focus.

On your other queries:
1. Your profile is decent for ISB and XLRI.
2. There isn't too much you can do in a short span of time just before your applications, but this article will provide some ideas.
3. Yes, if you can retake, do so. A higher score will help.
4. This is a pretty wide question and depends on the geographies and program formats you are looking at. Within India, and in the 1-year format, you have IIMC PGPEX (deadline extended so still open), and IIMB EPGP as two other possibilities to consider.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with further questions as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 11:31
GyanOne wrote:
thesehgal2015 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
On the recommendation, it is preferred if you can get it from your boss, but if there is a professional hitch in the way, you can also ask someone else in the organization who is senior to you and is more of a confidante. Sometimes, people also ask clients. You can explain in your optional essay the reason for not asking your direct supervisor.


gyanone,

Appreciate your patience with my queries so far. So I understand that I can say in the optional essay why I didn't get his recommendation but I am wondering if ISB will think that the real reason is my bad work performance or something like that which is not the case. So how can I ensure they don't think like that?


Hi thesehgal2015,

The easy way is to show stong work performance alongside, so they know that is not the reason. Don't worry - ISB receives plenty of explanations that are similar, and they understand to an extent that not everyone is in a position to ask the direct supervisor. So its not really a big issue with them.


thesehgal2015

Also, just to add: you will still need to enter your supervisor's details on the online app, so don't shy away from doing that.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 03:38
Does Being From IIT Help in ISB MBA Admissions?

Like most IITians, Sudeep Reddy is someone who likes to get technical about his work. Very technical. So technical, that his first ISB essay drafts discussed how he had worked on “PBR2 and PP4 plants” to replace electromechanical relays in a large Reliance factory. This was excellent work, but it was too technical. Additionally, this was just ten days before the ISB R2 deadline of Nov 30, 2013. Sudeep’s friend (and a former client of ours, Bhargav Lingamneni), who had successfully made it to ISB with us in R1 of the same cycle, recommended GyanOne to Sudeep to help him bring out the best elements in his profile.

Read the Complete Story
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2014
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 03:53
Hello GyanOne,

My company went through a spin off this year. This transition led to alot of extra work and projects, I took up alot of initiatives and helped in esaing this transition for my team. I worked hard and enthusiastically to deliver to the new clients.

Is it worth mentioning in my optional essay for ISB?

I first GMAT score was 650 and second is 700. Should i explain my initial low score? I do not have gaps and my academic scores are above average.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 08:38
fusion21 wrote:
Hello GyanOne,

My company went through a spin off this year. This transition led to alot of extra work and projects, I took up alot of initiatives and helped in esaing this transition for my team. I worked hard and enthusiastically to deliver to the new clients.

Is it worth mentioning in my optional essay for ISB?

I first GMAT score was 650 and second is 700. Should i explain my initial low score? I do not have gaps and my academic scores are above average.

Please advise.

Thanks.


Hi fusion21,

1. Yes, you can mention the work that you did during the transition. However, ensure that you bring out efforts that will be seen as differentiators and highlight how your contribution eased the work for the team.
2. You do not need to comment on your earlier GMAT score of 650 at all. You have a 700 now and that is what will be considered. No further comment on this needed.

Feel free to come back with further questions if needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 142

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 01:57
Hi GyanOne,

I have recently given my GMAT1 and since it did not go quite as i expected, i had a few questions in my head that i feel you can help me with.

I started my preps in June and appeared for the test on 12th Sept-
GMAT: Sept 12th | 630 (Q44, V32, IR7, AWA should be >=5)
(I feel that V32 could have been around 35 easily had i not messed up with the timing. I had to guess last ~4 questions :( )

Now, as i am targeting IIM-A/B, and ISB, i know i need to have a 700+ score. For this reason, i am planning to appear for GMAT again in a month's time. Do you think, given my current standing, a month is enough for raising Q from 44 to 49 and V from 32 to 40 (i know this is too broad to answer, just thought to have an unbiased perspective)?

Query#2: If i eventually plan to apply now, with all the RECOs and SOPs + a GMAT-630 and i dont make it, will this go against me when i will be applying for the same colleges after my second attempt? Will i be able to reuse the RECOs i use in this cycle? Or given the fact that im anyways going for GMAT again, do u suggest i should not apply this time at all? (I have already reported my official scores to these schools)

In other words, does applying to a b-school and getting rejected once effect, in any way, the chances to get in the next time one apply to the same program?

Query#3: In addition to above mentioned Indian schools, i was keen to apply for NUS and LBS too. Can you please elucidate as to how can one go about this.

Thanks in advance!

-Arhum
_________________

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 142

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 00:57
arhumsid wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

I have recently given my GMAT1 and since it did not go quite as i expected, i had a few questions in my head that i feel you can help me with.

I started my preps in June and appeared for the test on 12th Sept-
GMAT: Sept 12th | 630 (Q44, V32, IR7, AWA should be >=5)
(I feel that V32 could have been around 35 easily had i not messed up with the timing. I had to guess last ~4 questions :( )

Now, as i am targeting IIM-A/B, and ISB, i know i need to have a 700+ score. For this reason, i am planning to appear for GMAT again in a month's time. Do you think, given my current standing, a month is enough for raising Q from 44 to 49 and V from 32 to 40 (i know this is too broad to answer, just thought to have an unbiased perspective)?

Query#2: If i eventually plan to apply now, with all the RECOs and SOPs + a GMAT-630 and i dont make it, will this go against me when i will be applying for the same colleges after my second attempt? Will i be able to reuse the RECOs i use in this cycle? Or given the fact that im anyways going for GMAT again, do u suggest i should not apply this time at all? (I have already reported my official scores to these schools)

In other words, does applying to a b-school and getting rejected once effect, in any way, the chances to get in the next time one apply to the same program?

Query#3: In addition to above mentioned Indian schools, i was keen to apply for NUS and LBS too. Can you please elucidate as to how can one go about this.

Thanks in advance!

-Arhum


Hi Arhum

Thanks for posting. Always happy to help.

Your GMAT score, as you rightly pointed out, is too low for ISB and IIMA/B. It is possible to raise the score to the levels you say within a month, but you should ensure you are focusing on your weak areas, not running away from them (some people do that; just tendering generic advice here). To fix timing, practice more and take more mocks. A Q44 V35 will take you to 650, while Q48 V35 will be 690. So with just a little improvement on both sections, you can move closer to your goal.

On your second query: Getting rejected once and applying again is not a negative, and a B-school won't hold that against you. However, given that your GMAT score is significantly below the level they expect right now, we would suggest you not apply right now at all. It is one thing to be at your best, get rejected, and then reapply, and quite another to know that you are significantly lacking on one front and still put in an application. Given that you are in the latter category, first try to enhance your GMAT score. If that is done before R1, apply in R1. Else, go for R2.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2014
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 03:01
GyanOne wrote:
fusion21 wrote:
Hello GyanOne,

My company went through a spin off this year. This transition led to alot of extra work and projects, I took up alot of initiatives and helped in esaing this transition for my team. I worked hard and enthusiastically to deliver to the new clients.

Is it worth mentioning in my optional essay for ISB?

I first GMAT score was 650 and second is 700. Should i explain my initial low score? I do not have gaps and my academic scores are above average.

Please advise.

Thanks.


Hi fusion21,

1. Yes, you can mention the work that you did during the transition. However, ensure that you bring out efforts that will be seen as differentiators and highlight how your contribution eased the work for the team.
2. You do not need to comment on your earlier GMAT score of 650 at all. You have a 700 now and that is what will be considered. No further comment on this needed.

Feel free to come back with further questions if needed.




Thanks for your response Gyanone.

Please let me know how can I get my essay reviewed by you.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 49

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 25

GPA: 3.6
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 03:09
Hi GyanOne,

I am keen on applying to ISB round 1(15th oct). I have taken the GMAT multiple times and secured a 710 [Q 50,V 35], IR 7/8, AWA 5.5/6 in my last one. I have 3 years of work ex, 1.5 Years in Deutsche bank and the other 1.5 in my family business where I am taking care of 60 employees and have started my own business line. I have done my undergrad from Hansraj College, DU and secured a 60.1% (first division). I have taken up various leadership roles while in college, and am also an alumni of AIESEC, an organisation that ISB values. While in DB i have received various awards and was the youngest member to win a lot of contests and really add to the revenue earned quarter by quarter.

I have not yet started on my essays, and want to know whether I should apply to ISB or not, looking at my profile. I would really appreciate any guidance you can provide me with.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 25

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 23:28
fusion21 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
fusion21 wrote:
Hello GyanOne,

My company went through a spin off this year. This transition led to alot of extra work and projects, I took up alot of initiatives and helped in esaing this transition for my team. I worked hard and enthusiastically to deliver to the new clients.

Is it worth mentioning in my optional essay for ISB?

I first GMAT score was 650 and second is 700. Should i explain my initial low score? I do not have gaps and my academic scores are above average.

Please advise.

Thanks.


Hi fusion21,

1. Yes, you can mention the work that you did during the transition. However, ensure that you bring out efforts that will be seen as differentiators and highlight how your contribution eased the work for the team.
2. You do not need to comment on your earlier GMAT score of 650 at all. You have a 700 now and that is what will be considered. No further comment on this needed.

Feel free to come back with further questions if needed.




Thanks for your response Gyanone.

Please let me know how can I get my essay reviewed by you.


Hi fusion21

Sure. You can contact us directly.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1326

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 10:37
sanrohan wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

I am keen on applying to ISB round 1(15th oct). I have taken the GMAT multiple times and secured a 710 [Q 50,V 35], IR 7/8, AWA 5.5/6 in my last one. I have 3 years of work ex, 1.5 Years in Deutsche bank and the other 1.5 in my family business where I am taking care of 60 employees and have started my own business line. I have done my undergrad from Hansraj College, DU and secured a 60.1% (first division). I have taken up various leadership roles while in college, and am also an alumni of AIESEC, an organisation that ISB values. While in DB i have received various awards and was the youngest member to win a lot of contests and really add to the revenue earned quarter by quarter.

I have not yet started on my essays, and want to know whether I should apply to ISB or not, looking at my profile. I would really appreciate any guidance you can provide me with.


Hi sanrohan

Your profile looks good. You can definitely apply. You will have around 2 years in your family business by the time you join, which is fine. Clarity on what you wish to do post-ISB and how ISB can help is important, so focus on that. Other than that, good to go.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2015, 10:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12    Next  [ 223 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Thank you GyanOne MBA Consultants for ISB Application AITZ 3 11 Dec 2016, 23:47
12 Ask ISB Admissions ISBAdmissions 11 16 Sep 2016, 20:06
Experts publish their posts in the topic ISB aspirants - Ask Apphelp Apphelp 35 29 Nov 2016, 02:10
5 ISB applicants 2014 - Ask GyanOne GyanOne 27 03 May 2015, 02:07
Experts publish their posts in the topic ISB application question amba2013 3 27 Jun 2014, 01:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.