It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 01:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB aspirant - Matriculating 2016 - Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
ISB aspirant - Matriculating 2016 - Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 06:23
Dear Friends,

As of now, I have 10 years of work exp. Out of which last 5 years have been with KPMG. 20 months with Aon Hewitt and the remaining 3+ years with WNS and AbsolutData.

I did my B.Tech. (Electronics & Communication, 2005) from ITM Gurgaon.

I also did 3 year distance learning MBA from IMT Ghaziabad (2011, major subject HR).

Wanted your opinion on the following:

1. What will be a safe GMAT score (I want to keep a realistic target) to go with my 10+ years of work exp.
2. Will it be fine to take GMAT in October month and apply in round 2 in November
3. Will my MBA add value to my profile

Look forward to your valuable responses, as always.

Regards,
Dheeraj

Last edited by dheerajb on 06 Jul 2015, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB aspirant - Matriculating 2016 - Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 07:25
Hi,

Below are the answers to your questions:

1. Safe Score is a really vague term . I have seen and met people go with a wide range of scores - my uncle went in to ISB with 13 years experience and a 660. People can go in with higher or lower.
2. I don't see anything wrong in R2.
3. There is no point hiding it. Why would you want to hide it?

I have interviewed at ISB for YLP and have found the school to be highly ethical. I would not want to hide things!

Regards,
Aditya.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 651 [1], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
dheerajb wrote:
Dear Friends,

As of now, I have 10 years of work exp. Out of which last 5 years have been with KPMG. 20 months with Aon Hewitt and the remaining 3+ years with WNS and AbsolutData.

I did my B.Tech. (Electronics & Communication, 2005) from ITM Gurgaon.

I also did 3 year distance learning MBA from IMT Ghaziabad (2011, major subject HR).

Wanted your opinion on the following:

1. What will be a safe GMAT score (I want to keep a realistic target) to go with my 10+ years of work exp.
2. Will it be fine to take GMAT in October month and apply in round 2 in November
3. Should I disclose my MBA or not

Look forward to your valuable responses, as always.

Regards,
Dheeraj

Hi Dheeraj,

1. You should try and aim for 680+. People with greater experience are not scrutinized as closely in terms of GMAT scores, but a basic minimum is still important. However, please also note that you will be bringing in a lot of experience, so for you articulating the need for an MBA (a 2nd one at that), and the objectives that the PGP will help you achieve will also be key. With 10+ years of work-ex, you probably are already at a designation that many at ISB would aspire for post-MBA, so the goals part and the objective of pursuing the PGP will be really important.
2. R2 should be ok if you need the time to prepare and then apply.
3. You should always disclose the facts about your profile to any school, including ISB. Disclosing the first MBA is not going to be an issue. Again, there are many people at ISB who are pursuing their second MBA through the PGP. The important thing is going to be the ability to articulate the need for the second MBA, beyond the obvious points (like more prestigious school, faster career growth etc).

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 651 [1], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 07:56
Thanks dear friends for your valuable opinion. I have no intention of hiding even the smallest of the information. I should have articulated better. My bad!!!! I actually wanted to understand if my first MBA will add value to my profile.

can you please confirm the deadlines for round 2? is it 30th November or 15th December or some other date ? have read different versions on different websites.

Regards,
Dheeraj

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 651 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 10:01
dheerajb wrote:
Thanks dear friends for your valuable opinion. I have no intention of hiding even the smallest of the information. I should have articulated better. My bad!!!! I actually wanted to understand if my first MBA will add value to my profile.

can you please confirm the deadlines for round 2? is it 30th November or 15th December or some other date ? have read different versions on different websites.

Regards,
Dheeraj

Your first MBA does show commitment to learn more about business management, and it has led to career progression, so it will add some value. Beyond that, you should not focus too much on it.

The deadline for PGP R2 is Jan 15, 2016. You can see it on the official ISB PGP website here.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: International Business, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 05:24
Hi,

Profile Snapshot:
Exp: 7 yrs in Telecom (1 year International)
B.E: Purdue University (2008)
GPA: 2.95
12th: 65%
10th: 79%
GMAT: Planned Nov 2015
3 years gap between school and engineering (due to personal reasons, not preparing for IIT :) )

Extra Curricular: Played Club football, Nationals in Shotokan Karate, District level athlete, Captained School/Club/College football teams, appeared in national maths/english Olympiads during school.

Still working on my essays and trying to convert the raw material into a presentable application.

All recommendations are welcome like possible GMAT score I should target or .....

Thanks!!
Nadeem

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 00:51
Hi Nadeem

Try to target a GMAT score of at least 720. You can possibly get by with a somewhat lower score as well, but when aiming, aim ambitiously.

You have done your bachelor's from a well-known US name (Purdue), which will help, although the GPA is slightly low. The 3 year gap wont really be too much of a factor now, with 7 years of experience post your bachelor's. It should still be explained in your optional essay though. ECA seems good as well.

If you can get the GMAT score in place, you should be well set. All the best! Feel free to come back with further questions.

Intern
Intern

Concentration: International Business, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 03:41
GyanOne wrote:
Hi Nadeem

Try to target a GMAT score of at least 720. You can possibly get by with a somewhat lower score as well, but when aiming, aim ambitiously.

You have done your bachelor's from a well-known US name (Purdue), which will help, although the GPA is slightly low. The 3 year gap wont really be too much of a factor now, with 7 years of experience post your bachelor's. It should still be explained in your optional essay though. ECA seems good as well.

If you can get the GMAT score in place, you should be well set. All the best! Feel free to come back with further questions.

Thanks Gyanone, I am drafting the essays currently (all 4 of them) however I am not taking any professional assistance as of now, currently juggling between work, family and GMAT prep so really taking it very slow.

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 20:55
nadeem8231 wrote:
Hi,

Profile Snapshot:
Exp: 7 yrs in Telecom (1 year International)
B.E: Purdue University (2008)
GPA: 2.95
12th: 65%
10th: 79%
GMAT: Planned Nov 2015
3 years gap between school and engineering (due to personal reasons, not preparing for IIT :) )

Extra Curricular: Played Club football, Nationals in Shotokan Karate, District level athlete, Captained School/Club/College football teams, appeared in national maths/english Olympiads during school.

Still working on my essays and trying to convert the raw material into a presentable application.

All recommendations are welcome like possible GMAT score I should target or .....

Thanks!!
Nadeem

Hi Nadeem,

While your work ex and extra currics look good ( though a lot of them are school/ college level), your GPA is low. This together with 3 year gap ( we know that it was due to personal reasons) can raise doubts about academic capability. So, we recommend that you focus on GMAT and target a 730+. If you settle on 700 or so then you are leaving a lot to chances.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 07:45
Hi - I am having 14 yrs of experience ( worked with 5 companies in past ),currently working as Solution Architect in Product Company . I have done B.E ( Computer Sc )67% , M.S BITS Pilani ( distance learning ) 6.3 percentile. I have also one year gap and did my B.Sc ( Mathematics ) for 2 years but left in between and joined engineering. Do you guys see issue with this ? Also I would like to know safe GMAT Score for ISB. Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 07:55
barunpandey wrote:
Hi - I am having 14 yrs of experience ( worked with 5 companies in past ),currently working as Solution Architect in Product Company . I have done B.E ( Computer Sc )67% , M.S BITS Pilani ( distance learning ) 6.3 percentile. I have also one year gap and did my B.Sc ( Mathematics ) for 2 years but left in between and joined engineering. Do you guys see issue with this ? Also I would like to know safe GMAT Score for ISB. Thanks

Hi Barun,

Given your considerable experience the gap should not be a challenge. Also, score of 680 or so should be fine.

But you will have to express clarity on why you need MBA after 14 years of experience and how does it go with your post MBA goals.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Re: ISB aspirant - Matriculating 2016 - Class of 2017   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2015, 07:55

ISB aspirant - Matriculating 2016 - Class of 2017

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap