GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB possible with low GPA, 4 years work ex but jobless for 1 month?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
ISB possible with low GPA, 4 years work ex but jobless for 1 month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 01:18
Hi all,

I'm a male Mechanical Engineering degree holder from BITS Pilani with a CGPA of less than 6. I have 4 years of work experience in total which includes being a software engineer at an MNC and associate editor at a very successful media startup. However, I have been jobless since August. I am targeting a score of around 750 on GMAT, to be done by September end. Should I pursue an admit at ISB (for Round 2) and top 20 global MBA programs with this profile, or am I trying to punch way over my weight? (Class X – 83%, Class XII – 87%). Have extracurriculars in the form of representing the college in sports and cultural activities.

Thanks
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: ISB possible with low GPA, 4 years work ex but jobless for 1 month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 04:24
With a 750, can compensate your past scores at ISB.
For the unemployed part, if you can justify the reason behind it, how you have been using your time constructively plus why an MBA now you may have a chance.
However it will also depend on other strengths in your profile. Your can read on these here and here on career goals.
Top 20 US Schools is a very broad list and not possible to speculate based on the limited info.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

jabba wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a male Mechanical Engineering degree holder from BITS Pilani with a CGPA of less than 6. I have 4 years of work experience in total which includes being a software engineer at an MNC and associate editor at a very successful media startup. However, I have been jobless since August. I am targeting a score of around 750 on GMAT, to be done by September end. Should I pursue an admit at ISB (for Round 2) and top 20 global MBA programs with this profile, or am I trying to punch way over my weight? (Class X – 83%, Class XII – 87%). Have extracurriculars in the form of representing the college in sports and cultural activities.

Thanks

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P
Re: ISB possible with low GPA, 4 years work ex but jobless for 1 month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 23:43
jabba wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Hi Jabba,

Here is my analysis:
1. a CGPA less than 6 will be troublesome. You must aim for a high GMAT (750) and put in the requisite hardwork
2. A month long gap is alright. It will become troublesome as it increases. If you have quit your company for a reason such as taking GMAT, then it can be a painful decision.
3. your career shift from mechanical engg >>>software eng.>>>>editor at media house will warrant some explanation.
It would be difficult to give a recommendation for b-schools without understanding your profile and knowing the reasons for point 2 &3 above.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

We are accepting applicants for mid-October/November deadlines

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB possible with low GPA, 4 years work ex but jobless for 1 month? &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2018, 23:43

ISB possible with low GPA, 4 years work ex but jobless for 1 month?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: mihir0710, warriorguy

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap