GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 06:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It is an unfortunate fact that most North Americans know little about

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
It is an unfortunate fact that most North Americans know little about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 12:30
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

75% (02:15) correct 25% (01:55) wrong based on 289

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

51% (00:38) correct 49% (00:33) wrong based on 287

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

77% (00:28) correct 23% (00:36) wrong based on 275

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

86% (00:23) correct 14% (00:40) wrong based on 267

Question 5
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

81% (00:32) correct 19% (00:39) wrong based on 264

Question 6
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

20% (00:24) correct 80% (00:40) wrong based on 258

Question 7
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

46% (01:55) correct 54% (02:09) wrong based on 258

It is an unfortunate fact that most North Americans know little about American Indian culture and history. Scholars have studied such matters, but they have not succeeded in broadcasting their conclusions widely. Thus, it is still not widely known that American Indians have epics, that they performed plays long before Europeans arrived, and that they practiced politics and carried on trade.

One way to gain a fuller appreciation of this rich culture is to examine American Indian poetry, for poetry is in all cultures the most central and articulate of the arts. It is especially important that we study American Indian poetry as this poetry can create a context that gives cohesive expression to the crafts, the artifacts, and the isolated facts that many Americans have managed to notice willy-nilly. Even a survey of American Indian poetry reveals a range of poetic thought and technique that defies easy generalization. Jarold Ramsey hazards a summary, however, which serves at least to give the uninitiated reader some sense of what American Indian poetry is like. Overall, he writes, it represents “an oral, formulaic, traditional, and anonymous art form,” whose approach is to emphasize the “mythic and sacred” components of reality. It “flourished through public performances... by skilled recitalists whose audiences already knew the individual stories” and valued the performers for their “ability to exploit their material dramatically and to combine them [their stories] in longer cycles” rather than for their “plot invention.” Because this poetry belongs to highly ethnocentric tribal peoples, whose cultures “we still do not know much about,” it “is likely to seem all the more terse, even cryptic.”
American Indian poetry has another feature that Ramsey ignores: it is always functional. Whether sung, chanted, or recited; whether performed ceremonially, as entertainment, or as part of a task such as curing a patient or grinding corn; or whether recited individually or by a group, it is always fully woven into the fabric of ordinary life.

For complicated reasons, American Indian poetry has basically been ignored by non-Indian cultures. Kenneth Lincoln writes that failure to hear American Indian voices results “partly...from the tragedies of tribal dislocation, partly from mistranslation, partly from misconceptions about literature, partly from cultural indifference.” Brian Swann suggests an additional explanation: tribal poetry is oral, whereas Europeans arrived in the New World with a deeply ingrained belief in the primacy of the written word. As a result, European settles found it hard to imagine that poetry could exist without written texts and thus that the American Indians had achieved something parallel to what Europeans called literature long before Europeans arrived. As a consequence, Europeans did not fully respond to the rich vitality of American Indian poetry.

1. According to the passage, American Indian cultures have produced all of the following forms of artistic expression EXCEPT
(A) crafts
(B) dramas
(C) songs
(D) written poems
(E) oral epics

2. According to Jarold Ramsey, American Indian poetry is an art form characterized by its
(A) unusual depictions of landscapes
(B) integration with everyday affairs
(C) universal accessibility
(D) highly original plots
(E) adaptability to public performance

3. According to Kenneth Lincoln, one of the reasons that non-Indians have had little knowledge of American Indian poetry is that American Indian poems
(A) have been poorly translated
(B) have not yet attracted the scholarly attention they deserve
(C) can be appreciated only when presented orally
(D) are difficult to understand without a background in comparative mythology
(E) are too stylistically complex

4. According to the passage, it would be unusual for American Indian poetry to be
(A) attributed to specific authors
(B) sung by a group of performers
(C) chanted while working
(D) sung during a sacred ceremony
(E) performed in a dramatic manner

5. It can be inferred from the passage that Brian Swann believes which of the following about the European settlers of America?

(A) They probably were more literate, on the average, than the general European population they left behind.
(B) They probably thought it necessary to understand American Indian politics before studying American Indian literature.
(C) They probably did not recognize evidence of an oral poetic tradition in the American Indian cultures they encountered.
(D) They probably could not appreciate American Indian poetry because it was composed in long narrative cycles.
(E) They probably did not study American Indian poetry because its subject matter was too practically oriented.

6. The tone of lines 12-16 suggests that the author believes that most Americans’ knowledge of American Indian culture can best be characterized as

(A) spotty and contradictory
(B) stereotyped and limited
(C) confused and inaccurate
(D) unsystematic and superficial
(E) vague and biased

7. Which of the following best describes the organization of the last paragraph of the passage?

(A) An observation is made and qualifications of it are provided.
(B) A phenomenon is noted and explanations for it are presented.
(C) A hypothesis is presented and arguments against it are cited.
(D) A prognosis is made and evidence supporting it is discussed.
(E) A criticism is presented and information expanding it is provided.

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Re: It is an unfortunate fact that most North Americans know little about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 01:45
karanrajc wrote:
Can you explain why answer for 7 is B? emmafoster

Here's the definition of the words, this should help understand why option B is correct -

Phenomenon: fact or a situation that is observed to exist, especially one whose cause or explanation is in question.
Observation: Observing, monitoring, a statement made based on something that was seen or heard
Hypothesis: proposition, theory, speculation
Prognosis: forecast of outcome of a likely situation
Criticism: analysis and judgment of merits and faults of a certain something
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: It is an unfortunate fact that most North Americans know little about  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 00:00
Can you explain why answer for 7 is B? emmafoster
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 01:41
Can anyone please explain the ans of question 6?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE: Education (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 21:16
2. According to Jarold Ramsey, American Indian poetry is an art form characterized by its
(A) unusual depictions of landscapes
(B) integration with everyday affairs
(C) universal accessibility
(D) highly original plots
(E) adaptability to public performance

This is a detail question. I find difficult to search any answer choice that is mentioned in the passage. Please help me to come up with the official solution

I attributed option 3 as per the description about American Indian poetry given byJR

3. According to Kenneth Lincoln, one of the reasons that non-Indians have had little knowledge of American Indian poetry is that American Indian poems
(A) have been poorly translated
(B) have not yet attracted the scholarly attention they deserve
(C) can be appreciated only when presented orally
(D) are difficult to understand without a background in comparative mythology
(E) are too stylistically complex

I find the same difficulty in this question also. I am not able to correlate the answer choice to the passage detail given by KL

In 7th question can you please explain how to come up with option C
I understood from the last paragraph that the author is trying to state the hypothesis of failure of American Indian culture by quoting two different reasons

Appreciate your time
Thank you

Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place - that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have the perseverance to realise the great life. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2017, 09:07
Got question 6 wrong. Took 11 mins 38 secs in total. Can someone explain Q6?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2017, 10:42
Took 11 minutes and 43 seconds.
Last two questions were wrong. If somebody focus on the answer choices of 6 (I choose B) and 7 (I choose E) will be great...

Thanks in advance.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 07:11
prashantrchawla wrote:
Took 11 minutes and 43 seconds.
Last two questions were wrong. If somebody focus on the answer choices of 6 (I choose B) and 7 (I choose E) will be great...

Thanks in advance.

Q-6
Lines 12-16 consist of the following:
....skilled recitalists whose audiences already knew the individual stories” and valued the performers for their “ability to exploit their material dramatically and to combine them [their stories] in longer cycles” rather than for their “plot invention.” Because this poetry belongs to highly ethnocentric tribal peoples, whose cultures “we still do not know much about,” it “is likely to seem all the more terse, even cryptic.”
American Indian poetry has another feature that Ramsey ignores: it is always functional. Whether sung, chanted, or recited; ...

Nothing can be deciphered from these lines about the author's belief about Americans’ knowledge of American Indian culture.

However a previous line indicates that the answer should be D: "...isolated facts that many Americans have managed to notice willy-nilly."

Q-7.
B is alright. the phenomenon is: "American Indian poetry has basically been ignored by non-Indian cultures." Thereafter several explanations are given for this phenomenon:
..results “partly...from the tragedies of tribal dislocation, partly from mistranslation, partly from misconceptions about literature, partly from cultural indifference.” and an additional explanationby Brian Swann.

No criticism is presented in the last paragraph.
Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 21:32
can anyone elaborate on #2? I picked B.

it seemed from the passage that integration with everyday affairs, but to me adaptability to public performance seems sorta like the same answer in that if you perform at work that's 'in public'
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 22:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: It is an unfortunate fact that most North Americans know little about &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 22:07

It is an unfortunate fact that most North Americans know little about

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap