GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Janet : Sugar in the diet is healthy, despite what some people say

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Janet : Sugar in the diet is healthy, despite what some people say  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 13:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:57) correct 33% (01:26) wrong based on 135 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Janet : Sugar in the diet is healthy, despite what some people say. After all, most doctors eat foods that contain sugar, and who knows more about health than doctors do?

Which one of the following is a flaw in Janet’s reasoning?

A.Voicing out an opinion that lacks evidence
B.Generalizing qualities specific to one group
C.Contradicting popular opinion by using unsubstantiated evidence
D.Appealing to authority, even when different authorities give conflicting advice about an issue
E.Taking for granted that experts do not act counter to what, according to their expertise, is in their best interest

SOurce:Crackverbal

G
Re: Janet : Sugar in the diet is healthy, despite what some people say  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 05:30
A.Voicing out an opinion that lacks evidence - incorrect

B.Generalizing qualities specific to one group - no there isn't any generalisation. Incorrect

C.Contradicting popular opinion by using unsubstantiated evidence - there is no opinion being talked about.

D.Appealing to authority, even when different authorities give conflicting advice about an issue - in medical issues there is only one group/authority, i.e., doctors. Thus, incorrect.

Now, left out with E. Let's see.

E.Taking for granted that experts do not act counter to what, according to their expertise, is in their best interest
- yes. This is very likely what is wrong in Janet's presumption.

IMO E.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
Re: Janet : Sugar in the diet is healthy, despite what some people say  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 06:25
Argument - Because doctors consume sugar hence sugar is good.
A - opinion over here is that sugar is good and there is an evidence for it i.e doctors consume sugar. Hence this option is incorrect as the author here is indeed voicing an opinion but that opinion does not lack any evidence - INCORRECT
B - the group that this option is referring to is doctor, this argument does not generalize the qualities of a doctor - INCORRECT
C - the popular opinion over here is the fact that doctors can never be incorrect i.e. doctors, owing to their professional knowledge can never take any decision which they ideally shouldn't . This argument is not contradicting popular opinion but is rather submitting itself to one. - INCORRECT
D -this argument is indeed appealing to authority, the authority over here is the doctor. But there are no conflicting opinions. -INCORRECT
E - experts, doctors in this case can indeed take actions which they ideally shouldn't (from health's perspective) - CORRECT
This is good question in that it teaches us that we as humans tend to fall prey to authority i.e. whenever a person of authority says or does something that is correct. This question teaches us that we need to arrive at a conclusion logically rather than falling prey to authority

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Janet : Sugar in the diet is healthy, despite what some people say   [#permalink] 14 May 2018, 06:25

Janet : Sugar in the diet is healthy, despite what some people say

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics