Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:07 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Parallelismx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 604
Schools: ISB '21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
Debayandc wrote:
I interpreted the sentence as "Joan of Arc turned the tide of war by liberating and persuading..."

What if Charles VII is not easily persuaded but Joan of Arc did just that and because of THAT action, she turned the tide of war?

Am I missing something here? Can the experts please help?

Hello, Debayandc. I also wanted to interpret the parallel actions as liberating... and persuading. The only problem is that the two choices that provide this continuation, (C) and (E), also provide a meaningless and ungrammatical that clause following the second action, where we would expect Charles VII to appear instead. How can anyone persuade that...? This realization, coupled with the fact that someone persuades another to do something, forced me to backtrack and examine other options.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN

I don't see why you cannot persuade a THAT clause.

Per the OA, you can persuade someone but you cannot persuade an action or an event (action represented by THAT clause obviously)

But don't we say the following ?

I persuaded THAT ACTION be taken
I persuaded THAT she not be fired
x persuaded THAT Y be fired

OR are both my sentences wrong ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, Debayandc. I also wanted to interpret the parallel actions as liberating... and persuading. The only problem is that the two choices that provide this continuation, (C) and (E), also provide a meaningless and ungrammatical that clause following the second action, where we would expect Charles VII to appear instead. How can anyone persuade that...? This realization, coupled with the fact that someone persuades another to do something, forced me to backtrack and examine other options.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN

I don't see why you cannot persuade a THAT clause.

Per the OA, you can persuade someone but you cannot persuade an action or an event (action represented by THAT clause obviously)

But don't we say the following ?

I persuaded THAT ACTION be taken
I persuaded THAT she not be fired
x persuaded THAT Y be fired

OR are both my sentences wrong ?

Hello, jabhatta2. Regardless of what people might say, the sentences you have written above in pink would not be considered correct on the GMAT™. They beg the question, Persuaded whom? You can write, I persuaded [someone] not to fire her. You can also write, X persuaded Z to fire Y, but there is an agent who does the persuading and another who becomes persuaded. That is just the way this particular verb operates. I think your sentences could work with a similar word instead, perhaps recommended.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN - i think my take-away is you cannot persuade an action but you can persuade a person

Alternatively, recommend works because you can recommend an action BUT you cannot recommend a person.

Correct : I recommend THAT she be fired
Incorrect : I recommend she be fired

Here the first is correct because you are recommending an action but you cannot recommend "she" [a person]

Thoughts on this take-away ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, [#permalink]
I heard in one of Erica’s video that both -Ed and -ing are participial phrases and can parallel to each other if it helps sentence to make sense. Is it true? Does it help to explain the question here?

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6863 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
zoeuno wrote:
I heard in one of Erica’s video that both -Ed and -ing are participial phrases and can parallel to each other if it helps sentence to make sense. Is it true? Does it help to explain the question here?

Posted from my mobile device

Hello, zoeuno. Yes, it is true that -ed and -ing participial phrases can be parallel to each other. Take the beginning of this official question, for example:

Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff...

The first participle makes more sense than dressing would, since the -ing form would seem to convey that someone was actually getting dressed.

That said, just because you see what is a verb in its natural form being conjugated in -ing or -ed form, you cannot be sure that you are dealing with a participle. Take the sentence at hand, for example:

Quote:
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orléans and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

The pink words are all verbs, while the orange ones are acting as nouns. We are not looking for parallel participial phrases, then, but for parallel actions (verbs) or parallel noun phrases at the end of the sentence—i.e. by [what-ing] and [what-ing]. Since we cannot say by persuaded, we should test the persuading answer choices if we want to see whether it is the noun phrases that will be parallel. A problem, though, arises when we get two words in: persuading that is not the correct way to express this notion. Persuading a person would make sense instead.

This realization forces us to reconsider the persuaded options. And when we see that persuaded as a verb could be parallel to the earlier action turned, we can appreciate that the sentence makes sense. At its heart, Joan of Arc turned the tide and persuaded someone to do something. That is why (D) is the correct answer, not because of parallel participles.

I hope that helps add clarity to the matter. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
KarishmaB

And is a parallelism indicator so I checked what is parallel with liberating ... persuading seemed to be correct. Eliminate A,B and D
C uses passvie voice - eliminate
Hence E, can you please help me understand why it is wrong
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
KarishmaB

And is a parallelism indicator so I checked what is parallel with liberating ... persuading seemed to be correct. Eliminate A,B and D

If you go back a bit further, you find 'turned' which can be parallel to 'persuaded.'

Joan of Arc ... turned the tide of English victories ... and persuaded Charles... - this looks good.
So we cannot eliminate (A), (B) and (D).

In (C) and (E), even if we assume that 'persuading' is parallel with 'liberating' (though in such cases, it is better to repeat the preposition 'by' to show what it is actually parallel to), the use of 'persuading that...' is incorrect. It doesn't tell us who was persuaded.

A persuaded B to do C.

There has to be someone who is getting persuaded. Instead, one can use 'A insisted that ...' - this would be acceptable.
The meaning of persuade is to prevail on someone to do something. So there has to be a receiver of the action.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
KarishmaB

Hello Rickooreo,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option E is incorrect because the construction of the phrase "persuading that Charles VII of France should claim" leads to an incoherent meaning.

Further, the parallel actions joined by "and" are actually "turned" and "persuaded".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts