GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 08:09

LIVE NOW!

LBS is Calling R1 Admits - Join Chat Room to Catch the Latest Action

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Job prospects of International Students after MBA in US!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Job prospects of International Students after MBA in US!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 23:25
Many international students choose top US business schools for getting an MBA degree with the aim of building an international career and to get exposure working in a culturally different set-up. As if getting into one of the top business schools in the US wasn’t hard enough, getting placement in your dream company can be even more difficult. Students are expected to work just as hard on interview preparation or developing new post MBA resumes as they do in class.

We are outlining here important factors that can impact your chances of getting dream job after MBA. We have also prepared a table comparing placement rates and post MBA salaries of domestic and international students. At the end we have given brief description of various MBA specializations and types of jobs you can get in each specialization.

Maximize your chance of landing your dream post MBA Job

• Use School’s Career Services Optimally: Career Services Departments of Business schools support students not only in their immediate job search, but in also developing the competencies and career management skills required by companies today. “To optimize the school’s Career management center- build relationships with staff early- become someone they especially want to help! Be thoughtful, appreciative and receptive to feedback. Go to mock interviews- go to special sessions- seek out the advice from successful second years- don’t delay in taking this seriously- as the mark of success in B school is not so much your grades... but your job outcome” says Donna Bauman (former UNC adcom and admission consultant at Stratus prep) in our recent admission chat on GMATClub.

“One area that is really important for international students- first- impeccable English... that is non-negotiable- and generally the application interview on the adcom side tries to screen for that-- but this is a must. Also try in interviews to "look" the part- so pay attention to what students are wearing who are successful- model that. And take advantage of alumni network to research firms in advance of interviewing” Donna added.

• Networking in MBA world refers to the links that candidates build within the student community, with professors, industry experts, alumni, and the corporate world. It is considered by many as an effective tool to have, especially during the critical job-hunting phase; The table below shows that approximately 10% to 20% students at top US schools obtain jobs through networking and alumni referrals. Networking is facilitated through various events. It could be through formal career/networking events organized by school’s administration or career service dept or informal events which may include class outings, treks, or weekly get-togethers organized by student clubs or special interest groups/clubs within student community.

• H1B Visa and Lottery System: The US H1B visa is commonly used by international students to work in US in a non-immigrant capacity. H1B visas are limited to 65,000 per year for the general population, plus an additional 20,000 for those with U.S. advanced degrees.

“While the F1B visa process was never a cakewalk for international students, the lottery system has made the H1B visa process more complicated than ever. Now there’s a whole new element of luck added to the mix.” Sameer Kamat, Founder of MBACrystalBall, points out in his blog post. In you are an international student, your struggle isn’t over when you clear the recruitment process and get a post-MBA job. You are still dependent on the unpredictability of the H1B visa lottery process to seal your destiny.

There was a famous story of a Kellogg graduate from India published in Fortune magazine, who failed to win H1B lottery and had to leave for Amsterdam despite getting decent job offer by Strategy&. International students should prepare for such eventualities and should have Plan B to deal with such situation.

• Check whether your target companies sponsor H-1B visas: Companies such as Amazon, IBM, Google, Apple, etc. hire international students regularly and you can access information regarding firms which have provided H-1B visas in the past from dedicated visa websites. Here is a list of top 100 H1B Visa Sponsors published on MyVisaJobs. http://www.myvisajobs.com/Reports/2016- ... onsor.aspx

Placement rates and post MBA salaries of domestic and international students.
SchoolStudents Employed within 3 months (Overall)Domestic Students Employed within 3 MonthsInternational Students Employed within 3 Months$ Avg Salary (overall)$ Avg Salary (Domestic)$ Avg Salary (International)% of International Students in the class% Students EMployed outside US
Harvard94%13500035%14%
Stanford90%90%91%14055314377313335533%10%
Wharton98%12500031%13%
Booth98%98%100%12500012500012500036%13%
MIT Sloan96%12631645%11%
Columbia97%12500041%
Kellogg96%36%13%
Tuck99%100%96%123900122K8%
Fuqua94%97%90%12128312376311663838%11%
Haas123K34%
Yale SOM93%12000039%15%
UCLA Anderson92%90%84%11439232%4%
NYU Stern94%12092412089812099736%7%
Ross98%99%98%11995912019411942833%8%
Darden90%92%86%12280629%
McCombs1134811141651107942%
Johnson94%94%95%12122812059412290530%8%
Tepper91%90%95%11771711523512272435%5%
Kenan-Flagler93%95%90%1119222%

*Source: Latest employment reports of business schools.

Primary Source of Full-Time Job Offers
SchoolOn Campus RecruitingAlumni ReferralSchool's Job Portal/Resume Referral ServiceNetworkingSchool Resume DatabaseSchool Sposored Career Events/Job FairsSummer Internship EmployerPre MBA EmployerExternal Job Boards/Career EventsOther
Stanford14%11%9%36%2%1%10%10%7%
Booth14%3%6%16%49%6%6%
MIT Sloan35%3%5%12%1%2%30%2%1%8%
Columbia29%10%18%20%3%20%
Kellogg19%4%7%1%2%44%3%4%17%
Fuqua27%2%5%9%2%50%2%3%
UCLA Anderson16%10%4%11%2%1%46%3%8%
NYU Stern16%5%8%10%2%50%6%3%
Ross27%6%12%46%6%3%
Darden26%3%5%11%1%4%49%1%
Tepper31%2%11%12%1%31%7%5%

*Source: Latest employment reports of business schools.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 11:28
The real question how big will the impact of the new Trump administration immigration policies be on international student MBA program applications.

I was at a session at Yale SOM a few weeks ago and many of the international students I spoke to were very worried about job prospects if they wanted to stay in the US.

I imagine that international applications to the M7 programs could we way down next year while Insead, IE, HEC could see a huge influx of applications.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 04:12
There is a high likelihood that President elect Trump will add further restrictions on the work visas such as H1B and L1B. As a result, the number of international applicants applying to American b schools is likely to plummet. He might also rollback the Obama-era regulations, like one making it easier for students to extend their authorization to study in the US if they go into STEM fields.
I believe the Trump era will be a defining moment in American history and will have a significant impact on the entire world.
But in today’s times such anti-competitive policies will have a significant backlash and thus a lot of jobs that Trumps hopes to protect might move outside the United States.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Job prospects of International Students after MBA in US!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 02:28
After enjoying the admission calls, I am realising the post MBA worries around Visa issues. But correct me if I am wrong as I see Trump's policy in favor of MBAs. I understand the Trump's H1B reforms may involve raising the minimum wages from 60K to 100K. Won't it help MBAs to get the H1B without lottery?
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 16:39
BSeasoned wrote:
After enjoying the admission calls, I am realising the post MBA worries around Visa issues. But correct me if I am wrong as I see Trump's policy in favor of MBAs. I understand the Trump's H1B reforms may involve raising the minimum wages from 60K to 100K. Won't it help MBAs to get the H1B without lottery?

Assuming that he is not reducing the #of H1B visas awarded annually. If he did so everyone would suffer. Also two important provisions in the proposed H1B program bill are more alarming to me....
1. Doing away with Master degree exemption. Currently 20000 visas are reserved for those who obtain master's degree from US and companies are not required to go through extensive paperwork in hiring these individuals. If the new bill takes this exemption back, as proposed in the bill, it would make hiring of MBA graduates difficult and will have serious impact on employment prospects of international MBA students.
2. Proposed bill prohibits companies that have more than 50 employees from hiring new H1B holders if the proportion of H1B employees in their current workforce is more than 50%. I think this would lead companies to use the available limit cautiously and they might prefer to recruit primarily from higher ranked schools. This could hamper placements at lower ranked schools.

Here is a detailed discussion on this.... http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... 999948.ece

Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 18:41
Great work Narenn
This year Tech companies have pushed for an expansion of the H-1B program, claiming that a shortage of tech talent in the U.S. makes it necessary to recruit workers from overseas.
To add to what Skywalker18 said here are a few Quotes->

Quote:
TRUMP(march 2016)-> "I will end forever the use of the H-1B as a cheap labor program, and institute an absolute requirement to hire American workers first for every visa and immigration program. No exceptions."

Last month, Trump asked his transition team to direct the Department of Labor to "investigate all abuses of visa programs that undercut the American worker.
Once Trump takes office, it’s likely there will be at least some changes to H-1B visa program. After all, Trump’s new attorney general, Jeff Sessions, is one of the leading advocates for H-1B reform in Congress.

What can Trump do?
Trump can reduce the cap on H-1B visas, raise the fees or auction them. He could also order that H-1B workers have to be paid higher wages, which would make Americans more competitive.
In fact, Trump has already said that one of his first executive orders after assuming office will be to order investigation into all visa abuses.

Quote:
JPMorgan Strategist(David Kelly) -> The US is 'almost out' of qualified workers, and more immigration is the answer.Kelly said he's concerned by "signs of further restrictions on immigration in this country," referring to a bill that was reintroduced in Congress this week to restrict H-1B visas, which allow nonimmigrant foreign workers in specialty fields. Republicans and Donald Trump are pushing to have businesses hire more American-born worker.

Politics aside, Kelly said, "One of the remarkable things about the labor market over the next 10 years is [that] around 85 percent of the new growth in the working-age population is going to have to come from immigrants, not from the native-born population.

Quote:

Government relations director for IEEE-USA(Russ Harrison)->In the short run, we're hoping President Trump will make some quick executive level changes to the H-1B program to eliminate some of the worst abuses.
"If we have a shortage of skilled workers in this country then we need immigrants, not H-1B workers.

Now coming back to the bill that Ted cruz and Jeff sessions have introduced->
The 'Protect and Grow American Jobs Act,' was re-introduced in the US Congress on Wednesday.

Here are the Highlights of the bill->

Quote:
->Requiring H-1B employers who seek H-1B visas under the program to commit to paying the foreign workers they recruit either what an American worker who did identical or similar work made two years prior to the recruiting effort, or $110,000 (whichever is higher).

->Establishing a “layoff cool-off” period of two years (730 days), which would prevent an employer from bringing on an H-1B visa-based foreign worker within two years of an employee strike, an employer lockout, layoffs, furloughs, or other types of involuntary employee terminations other than for-cause dismissals.

->Strengthening internal (company) and external (public domain) transparency requirements, in order to ensure that both company employees and the job-seeking public are aware of the company’s H-1B visa application and potential job opportunities at the company.

-> Requiring increased H-1B visa application transparency on the part of the Department of Labor, with real-time online updating of companies’ H-1B visa application submissions, the publication of certain application information (including the identities of the companies and employees who have submitted the applications), and additional reporting to Congress about program abusers.

->Preventing continued use of the non-statute-based Optional Practical Training (OPT) Program, and the creation and use of other similar programs, which have also been used to displace American workers under the guise of student training.

Please note->The above comments are not my personal opinion and have been assembled from various sources including ->
http://www.sessions.senate.gov/public/i ... FBA471F1E1

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 12:07
Nareen Sir,
hi, Nishant Dogra here. Sir i have a query.
I have scheduled my gmat in march, i have paid the 250 USD fee but haven't applied for b schools yet. Please can u help me with how to select the 5 b schools that are for free.
Please Sir Please help me. I am very tens because of it

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 22:17
DAMONspx1 wrote:
Nareen Sir,
hi, Nishant Dogra here. Sir i have a query.
I have scheduled my gmat in march, i have paid the 250 USD fee but haven't applied for b schools yet. Please can u help me with how to select the 5 b schools that are for free.
Please Sir Please help me. I am very tens because of it

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Nishant,

I can't suggest schools to you as it depends on various factors such as your post MBA goals, location preference, your stats, current work profile, etc. I would encourage you to go through our MBA application guide (new-gmat-club-mba-guide-2016-17-is-out-223494.html). Chapter #4 (How to Start Researching Business Schools), #5 (Get to Know Your Schools), and #6 (Which Schools to Apply to?) are specifically important in this context.

You can also share your profile with MBA admission experts in Ask Admission Consultants forum (ask-admission-consultants-124/) and get their advice on schools that are suitable for you.

All the best for your GMAT!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 03:20
Narenn wrote:
BSeasoned wrote:

Assuming that he is not reducing the #of H1B visas awarded annually. If he did so everyone would suffer. Also two important provisions in the proposed H1B program bill are more alarming to me....
1. Doing away with Master degree exemption. Currently 20000 visas are reserved for those who obtain master's degree from US and companies are not required to go through extensive paperwork in hiring these individuals. If the new bill takes this exemption back, as proposed in the bill, it would make hiring of MBA graduates difficult and will have serious impact on employment prospects of international MBA students.
2. Proposed bill prohibits companies that have more than 50 employees from hiring new H1B holders if the proportion of H1B employees in their current workforce is more than 50%. I think this would lead companies to use the available limit cautiously and they might prefer to recruit primarily from higher ranked schools. This could hamper placements at lower ranked schools.

Here is a detailed discussion on this.... http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... 999948.ece

Narenn,

I suppose that MBA's don't come under the 20,000 cap of H1-B visas for those who have a master's degree. The separate 20,000 cap is reserved for only STEM courses!

I think if they include the 20,000 to the 65,000 then it'll only be helpful to MBA holders.

Regrds,
Abbhilash
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 00:08
I have a query with respect to job chances in US. I am working in the field of automation and would want to get into management side, without changing the field. Does applying to US helps? Should I consider other geographies?

Also, with the recent scenario in US, will the things or using the ecosystem will be much more difficult?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GPA: 2.77
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 21:49
Now that we see different things coming up with H1B visa and also a pressure on the employer giving it ...should we opt for MBA from US?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 11:49
It is hire American policy. The effects are very clear for everyone:
1. Companies prefer Americans
2. Hire who has Visa already
3. More delays in Visa
4. Sudden policy change that affects smooth switch over from f1 to h1b
5. And then lottery on h1b
6. And then extension issues

Aspire to get a good US degree. Jobs it depends on your risk appetite.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Job prospects of International Students after MBA in US!! &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2018, 11:49

Job prospects of International Students after MBA in US!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap