GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just Took GMAT Prep: Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Just Took GMAT Prep: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 17:25
Just Took GMAT Prep and I got a 560 (37Q, 29V). I did not get to the last 7 of Q and last 13 on V. I got 12/30 on Q incorrect and 5/28 on verbal incorrect. Really struggled with time and I will work A TON on timing. I am trying to get a feel for how well I know the content (obviously not well enough because it took me so long). I understand that if I had worked faster I would likely have missed several that I got right that I spent a lot of time on.

Can anyone give me an estimate of how my score was effected by leaving so many blank.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Just Took GMAT Prep: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 19:15
aaronwhite1989 wrote:
Just Took GMAT Prep and I got a 560 (37Q, 29V). I did not get to the last 7 of Q and last 13 on V. I got 12/30 on Q incorrect and 5/28 on verbal incorrect. Really struggled with time and I will work A TON on timing. I am trying to get a feel for how well I know the content (obviously not well enough because it took me so long). I understand that if I had worked faster I would likely have missed several that I got right that I spent a lot of time on.

Can anyone give me an estimate of how my score was effected by leaving so many blank.

Hi,
Leaving Qs unanswered is much more harmful and you are penalised more than answering it wrongly.

Leaving so many unanswered means lack of speed and in turn it requires emphasis on the knowledge.
Since it was your first attempt, you can easily improve with right technique and right approach.

All the best.

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Just Took GMAT Prep: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 07:28
560 in first CAT is good and that too when penalty of leaving questions unanswered was there. You sure would have had great accuracy on the attempted questions.

Biggest penalty - Leaving a question/s unanswered (not a case in IR)
Lower penalty than above - Marking an easy question wrong
Even lower penalty than above - Marking a tough question wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 20:13
Hi aaronwhite1989,

If this was your first practice CAT, then you did fairly well - even with all of the unanswered questions (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). For future reference though, every question that you do NOT physically answer is 'penalized' and that penalty is WORSE than if you had simply gotten the question wrong. This is meant to say that you really MUST make sure to answer every question when you take the Official GMAT.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell exactly how bad your overall score was hurt by not getting to all of those questions. You left over 1/4 of the questions unanswered - and that would incur a BIG penalty on the Official GMAT.

1) How long have you studied so far?
2) What study materials have you used?
3) Did you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 12:28
aaronwhite1989 wrote:

Different people will have different opinion regarding the penalty of missing questions. You can try running your scenario in GMATprep software.

Master with structure - Numerical comparison [source: economist.com] https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-with-structure-numerical-comparison-233657.html#p1801987

VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 23:58
aaronwhite1989 wrote:
There are different opinions on this, but it depends on how well a test taker is doing before the last stretch. If he or she is doing very well, the algorithm is more likely to penalize him or her heavily. But if he or she is not doing well, leaving even a lot of questions at the end won't affect the final score significantly.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Re: Just Took GMAT Prep: Help   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2017, 23:58

Just Took GMAT Prep: Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until June 15
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap