GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 04:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kelley vs Mendoza vs Broad vs Mays

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GPA: 3.3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Kelley vs Mendoza vs Broad vs Mays  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 09:32
Hi Guys,

As deposit deadlines are fast approaching, I am getting more confused on which school to choose :( . I was fortunate enough to get admits and scholarships for 2 yr FT program from Kelley, Mendoza, Broad (Mich State) and Mays (Texas A&M). However, 2 years of lost opportunity cost is on higher side for me (>160K)

Post MBA Goal: I am currently in Manufacturing/Steel industry (background in Materials Engineering) and want to move away from this shrinking industry. I would like to stay in operations industry but move into a different functions such as Strategy or Procurement/Supply Caain. I am also open to other options as I enter the program (heard most folks change minds later). FYI.. I have no visa restrictions

Kelley: Out of State, but got 12.5k/yr scholarship+health insurance (COA: ~75K)
Mendoza: Out of State, got 25k/yr scholarship (COA: ~63K)
Broad: Got In-State rate, plus 10k/yr scholarship (COA: ~44K)
Mays: Got In-State rate, plus 9.5k/yr scholarship (COA : 42K)

Looks like Kelley is ranked well above most in recent US News ranking. Which School in your opinion best suits my aforementioned goals? Which schools offers best ROI and recognition 3-5 years down the line? All these schools are somewhat rural, does his pose threat to networking, job placements?

Really appreciate any constructive feedback.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kelley vs Mendoza vs Broad vs Mays  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 18:06
Congratulations on your admits!!!

I have to admit that I am no expert on Supply Chain track and I know a few programs do seem to excel at that. Apparently Broad ranks as #1 in Supply Chain and Logistics. However, MBA is not really a degree that gives you a profession. It is not a hair-dresser school or an auto-body class. Business School tends to be about core skills (in many ways like College except with much more focus on recruiting and addressing your weaknesses). This kind of tells me that all those rankings of "Best Business School X" is somewhat arbitrary. If Broad is #1 in Supply Chain, does it mean a Broad graduate would get more priority than one from Havard or Ross or Stanford? Probably not..... But i welcome all disagreements and looking forward to learning about the SCM programs.

Having said that, I feel it would be well worth the $30K premium to go to Kelley. The stronger caliber of your fellow students, professors, and schools reputation will more than offset that cost and will be a long-term investment should you change your mind or career path during or long after BSchool.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 18:34
Thanks bb for the reply.

I visited Kelley, Mendoza and Broad, and definitely got the feeling that Kelley was a better fit. Also Kelley's ranking got bumped back to 21 (US News). The amount of money involved sometime clouds the decision making. I got to agree with you that "Best Business School X", specially given that my decision to "specialize" might change in first year, in that case Kelley (or may be Mendoza) might be a better choice. If I end up not liking Supply Chain, it would be difficult to get good placements from Broad. In hind-sight, I was probably was too hasty in applying to schools.

I am not much sure about Mays reputation beyond Texas.

Mendoza seems to be too Finance heavy.

I will wait for others to comment.

Lastly, is it possible to negotiate the scholarship? May be ask for in-state, since I have gotten it from 2 other schools, plus I have may argue that I have varied experience (process improvement, quality control , customer service etc).

Appreciate the help.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Kelley vs Mendoza vs Broad vs Mays  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 19:54
Scholarship negotiation is a bit of a cloak and dagger type of process. Schools often require successful negotiators to sign a nondisclosure agreement that prevents them from sharing the details of their good fortunes For the fear of losing the scholarship. As the result, there’s no clear indication when who and where would get one successfully negotiated.

I think the conclusion from this is that it doesn’t hurt to try. As long as you don’t overstep the bounds of ethics or law, there is no downside to trying.

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
BSchool Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 05:27
As a supply chain guy, I'd say Broad as long as you are certain supply chain is what you want to do. They have incredible brand recognition in that specialization. Dell, Amazon, Intel, Walmart, Apple, Microsoft, the big 3 auto, etc all visit there to recruit scm. MSU employment report shows 58% of the class takes an ops placement with an average of 104k in salary. Kelley shows 4% of the class averaging 105k.

If you think you are going to be more open to other options, Kelley is probably your better choice. They do much better in general management or consulting compared with the others, and the price difference is negligible in the long run.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 10:47
Thanks cxa0897.

While I am still in narrowing down the colleges (and what to really do), it makes more sense logically to go with Kelley.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 10:24
update...

Got admit from Smeal too with Full Ride + stipend. I know Smeal does not equal Kelly, but financially, its $0 vs $75K.
As far as post-mba career goes, I initially wanted to go into SCM/Operations, but after talking to current students at Kelley, Broad etc, everyone told to come with an open mind as other fields might interest me during the program.

do experts have any review on Smeal, its reputation , etc?
bb, cxa0897, stonecold, Mo2men
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 13:46
Hi mbanewbie

Congrats for all those schools.

If you want supply chain , then Smeal ill be your place. It has a great reputation in the field. It has strong academic staff and connections with the industry. No need to spend money in Broad. However it seems that you have second thoughts after taking to Kelley's students. If this is the case, then try to negotiate with Kelley using the Smeal offer.

Do you know what other fields would you pursue other than SCM?
When you say that you do not have visa restrictions, does it mean that you are citizen or have green card?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 15:28
Mo2men

Yes. I will try to negotiate with Kelley coming weekend. Hopefully we meet middle ground. I am in negotiations with MSU, after Smeal's admit. My only concern was, if I change my mind during MBA program and get interested in other concentrations than SCM/Operations (such as Finance, Marketing), is Smeal/MSU good enough for that?

I might try to do Finance with SCM or something to compliment operations.
Yes, I am on green card.
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 05:55
mbanewbie wrote:
Mo2men

Yes. I will try to negotiate with Kelley coming weekend. Hopefully we meet middle ground. I am in negotiations with MSU, after Smeal's admit. My only concern was, if I change my mind during MBA program and get interested in other concentrations than SCM/Operations (such as Finance, Marketing), is Smeal/MSU good enough for that?

I might try to do Finance with SCM or something to compliment operations.
Yes, I am on green card.

I asked about your visa restrictions as some jobs are limited to permanent residence and citizens such as strategy roles and some marketing positions.

Here is my advice to you. It is really nice to have main goal and plan B but you need to know how reliable is plan B. Can recruiter accept your shift from Engineering to finance? I do not believe so or at least it is rare. Most of them require experience in the field. Also, those schools are not finance powerhouses for finance. However, it is nice to study other complementary courses in finance to support your supply chain or marketing role. Each school of the above have its finance courses but Kelley is the best from my perspective (I have examined the course catalog the mentioned schools and even had discussions with some professors in certain topics). Kelley has balanced electives and good recruiters even in Business analytics that will help you for SCM and marketing or even in business analytic field (While Mendoza offer you one extra year for master in BA and almost no presence in Smeal or Broad).

But still how much would you able to sacrifice to get to your school? If you can't afford it, then make up your mind and choose what suits you the best and move on. You can still choose Smeal an target SCM or marketing or even general management. Or if you like Broad more and can go there.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 06:04
Comparing your options, for a full-ride, Smeal is a no-brainer. Considering your interests are in SCM, Smeal is the spot. It's consistently recognized as the top SCM undergrad program in the country. Those companies and recruiters will be interviewing on campus consistently. The finance program is also well-acclaimed. The Penn State name recognition alone is quite unbelievable and networking opportunity will be huge. The campus/student life experience is top-notch.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kelley vs Mendoza vs Broad vs Mays   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2019, 06:04

Kelley vs Mendoza vs Broad vs Mays

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch