Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg vs. Tuck??? [#permalink]
Kudos
Congrats for the admission in both schools

You have gained full scholarship in one of the best 10 programs. That being said, you will have the opportunity to study in a high quality school and staff who focus on the only MBA program. The small class means more interactions. Although it is remote location, recrutiers come from every place. Tuck prides itself with loyal alumni. All that was told me directly when I was in discussion with Tuck's ambassador. She gave me the real meaning of close knit community. When the class is too fast or you lack something, the school pays for experienced students to tutor you. I really liked the idea. The relationship with the professors are close. It is worth starting your career free of any burdens.

:gl
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kellogg vs. Tuck??? [#permalink]
Congratulations on being admitted to two of the best schools. Regarding your question, I found myself on a similar situation when I had to choose between Tuck and Sloan so I´ll try to share my thoughts in case they help.

I would say that the brandname is not that important as a tie-breaker in this particular case. I would argue that it could be if the other school was Harvard or Stanford, but I see this two schools as peers. On top of that, the amount of money Tuck has offered COULD be enough to choose Tuck over any other school even if the latter had significantly better brandname. On the other hand, it really seems that you truly like Tuck better which, alongside money, would be the other significant factor.

In the end, as someone has already pointed out, it´s all about opportunities, nad I don´t see a big difference between these two schools in that regard. Provided that, I would go with fit and money.

Hope it helps.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
changeitup399 wrote:
Hey guys,

I would love your thoughts on attending either Kellogg or Tuck. Tuck gave me a full tuition scholarship, so I am strongly leaning towards there, but wondering if I’m being foolish for turning down Kellogg as a Top 5 school.

I know a big factor is what I want to do post-MBA, and that’s tough for me because I am honestly unsure. I am a management consultant right now and I am certain that I want nothing to do with consulting or finance. So I will likely pursue general management, brand management, retail, human resources, education, media, or non-profit (super wide range, I know!!). Tuck appealed to me because of the small class size. I am not the most out-going person, so I think I like the idea of a close-knit community. However, I have always lived in or near New York City, so in principle, I like the idea of being in the middle of nowhere because I know I will likely never do it again in my non-student life, but at the same time I fear that I will miss the big city.

I feel that Kellogg’s name is a little bit better than Tuck’s, and if I do decide to go with brand management, they are obviously number one. I went to Ivy League undergrad so I guess I would say brand recognition is important to me.

Really appreciate your thoughts and feedback! Thanks a ton!

Like a full ride vs. no ride at all?

I'd say that makes the decision a wee bit easier.

I mean, as all the other posters pointed out, in terms of general prestige they are about even. Getting away from paying that massive tuition is worth how many years of your time (plus the incalculable comfort of no debt!). It's be hard to recommend Kellogg over Tuck unles syou have some really really strong practical reason.

JF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.72
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kellogg vs. Tuck??? [#permalink]
What a great dilemma. While not to sound harsh, I think choosing Kellogg in this case would be the foolish move. They are similar enough that it definitely is not worth the $1000+ monthly payment after graduation!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Come to Tuck :-D

Being objective though, both schools offer the same opportunities so why not go where there is a much smaller financial burden. Throw in the fact that it sounds like you love Tuck already then it definitely makes sense!

P.S. It is totally ok to not know what you want to do post-MBA. Once you get on campus there are lots of opportunities for you to chart your own path and explore.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
changeitup399 wrote:
Hey guys,

I would love your thoughts on attending either Kellogg or Tuck. Tuck gave me a full tuition scholarship, so I am strongly leaning towards there, but wondering if I’m being foolish for turning down Kellogg as a Top 5 school.

I know a big factor is what I want to do post-MBA, and that’s tough for me because I am honestly unsure. I am a management consultant right now and I am certain that I want nothing to do with consulting or finance. So I will likely pursue general management, brand management, retail, human resources, education, media, or non-profit (super wide range, I know!!). Tuck appealed to me because of the small class size. I am not the most out-going person, so I think I like the idea of a close-knit community. However, I have always lived in or near New York City, so in principle, I like the idea of being in the middle of nowhere because I know I will likely never do it again in my non-student life, but at the same time I fear that I will miss the big city.

I feel that Kellogg’s name is a little bit better than Tuck’s, and if I do decide to go with brand management, they are obviously number one. I went to Ivy League undergrad so I guess I would say brand recognition is important to me.

Really appreciate your thoughts and feedback! Thanks a ton!

Hello!

Did you end up picking Tuck. I am facing a somewhat similar dilemma (the difference being - I don't have a scholarship offer from either). I am an international applicant.

I must confess I am REALLY torn. I got admitted to Tuck three weeks before Kellogg so that gave me an opportunity to really fall in love with the school. Every single person I have reached out to at Tuck has been an absolute gem. Really warm people, so so proud of their collaborative culture, it is almost impossible to not feel the vibe (and that is coming from someone who has not been to either of the two campuses). People at Tuck just seem plain and simple nice! :)

On the other hand, I am sure Kellogg has a great collaborative community as well but since I just got admitted 48 hours ago I haven't had a chance to see it yet. People have been telling me, and rightly so, that the choice should depend on the industry I want to work in but like you I too am unsure about where I want to land up. I am a career changer and the only thing I know for certain is that I wont be an IB or a consultant.

The other factor for me is that I need a brand name which is stronger internationally because I suppose an international applicant (and a career changer at that) can't rely on being given a US work visa post MBA.

Does anyone know how does the collaborative culture and campus feel compare for the two schools and which one has a better global recognition?

Thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Sharing the same problem with ASP88 here man..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
First to the OP, I am biased to an extent, but at the end of the day Tuck and Kellogg are peer schools and the value of a full-tuition scholarship is north of $1000 a month in loans post-MBA. This really is a no-brainer, but I am happy to answer any questions you may have regarding Tuck. Plus, Tuck is amazing, I hope you'll come up and experience it first-hand for ASW.

Now ASP88 and wmay, you are both in a great position. I will say, outside of some pre-MBA IBD and PE people, the VAST majority of Tuckies are career switchers, so you will not be alone. I completely understand not wanting to go into IBD or consulting. As someone going into tech, I have had absolutely no trouble on the recruitment front (received my fourth offer a couple of weeks ago and accept another offer, had other interviews still to come that I canceled). Also, the Tuck network is even better than advertised. Everyone from recent alumni to people who graduated 20 years ago are extremely responsive. So, if you intend on going off the beaten path, Tuck really is your best bet.

I am happy to answer any questions you guys may have, so feel free to PM.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Does the author stays with us?
Congs with amazing offers.
As you wrote "I feel that Kellogg’s name is a little bit better than Tuck’s" just evaluate by yourself how much that "lil bit" compares to full ride.
Tuck is no brainer choice here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Congrats. Go to Tuck and don't think twice.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts