GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kellogg vs Tuck ($$) vs Fuqua ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 54% [17]
  • 32% [10]
  • 12% [4]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Kellogg vs Tuck ($$) vs Fuqua ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 10:38
Quick background- from the south, went to ug at an acc school with diverse student body (read as: bunch of northerners)
Career goals- would like to get into energy, specifically renewables. ideal role would be an LDP at a big energy company, but also open to energy consulting or finding an mba level finance/operations type role at a cool renewables company like invenergy
Location goals post graduation- somewhat ambivalent for the right role, bonus points for somewhere with an easy trip back to OKC
Misc- I have about $100k saved up for tuition etc

Schools

Tuck: I think this is the best culture fit for me and I love the Revers Center. I think I'd have the most fun here inside and outside of the classroom, and i like all of the current and admitted students i have met. I worry about the size of the network and how about 1/2 of the class ends up in NYC or Boston (dont think id hate boston but def dont want nyc). The scholarship offered is obviously nice.

Fuqua: I liked Fuqua less after I visited and interviewed. It is absolutely nothing against the students or school, it was just far too similar to my UG (I ran into like 6 people I knew) and I am hoping for something new with the MBA. Strong energy community + a bigger network, but just not sure about the fit. As with Tuck, the money is also very nice.

Kellogg: Kellogg was my reach when I was applying because I love the NW brand and the global hub is incredible. Additionally, Kellogg is a step ahead of Tuck/Fuqua in the rankings. That being said, my sense from the students ive talked to is that the energy community isn't very active. The diversity of opportunity at kellogg seems it would be larger (in case I chose to come off of energy after i enroll), both functionally and geographically, thanks to reputation, size and location in the midwest. Chicago has a nice little hub of some pretty cool energy companies, although I feel I could work my way into those companies from Tuck or Fuqua. I'd be paying full sticker price for Kellogg.

I feel very fortunate to be in this position. I would love whatever insights you guys have to share!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 11:10
Tagging a few people who can help here

bb
billionaire
Mo2men
ENGRTOMBA2018 (Kellogg alumnus)
airo (Current student at Tuck)
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member
Re: Kellogg vs Tuck ($$) vs Fuqua ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 15:28
toughcall10 wrote:
Quick background- from the south, went to ug at an acc school with diverse student body (read as: bunch of northerners)
Career goals- would like to get into energy, specifically renewables. ideal role would be an LDP at a big energy company, but also open to energy consulting or finding an mba level finance/operations type role at a cool renewables company like invenergy
Location goals post graduation- somewhat ambivalent for the right role, bonus points for somewhere with an easy trip back to OKC

Schools

Tuck: I think this is the best culture fit for me and I love the Revers Center. I think I'd have the most fun here inside and outside of the classroom, and i like all of the current and admitted students i have met. I worry about the size of the network and how about 1/2 of the class ends up in NYC or Boston (dont think id hate boston but def dont want nyc). The scholarship offered is obviously nice.

Fuqua: I liked Fuqua less after I visited and interviewed. It is absolutely nothing against the students or school, it was just far too similar to my UG (I ran into like 6 people I knew) and I am hoping for something new with the MBA. Strong energy community + a bigger network, but just not sure about the fit. As with Tuck, the money is also very nice.

Kellogg: Kellogg was my reach when I was applying because I love the NW brand and the global hub is incredible. Additionally, Kellogg is a step ahead of Tuck/Fuqua in the rankings. That being said, my sense from the students ive talked to is that the energy community isn't very active. The diversity of opportunity at kellogg seems it would be larger (in case I chose to come off of energy after i enroll), both functionally and geographically, thanks to reputation, size and location in the midwest. Chicago has a nice little hub of some pretty cool energy companies, although I feel I could work my way into those companies from Tuck or Fuqua. I'd be paying full sticker price for Kellogg.

I feel very fortunate to be in this position. I would love whatever insights you guys have to share!

Hello toughcall10

Yes you are fortunate to be in that position, congrats :thumbup:

Don't see a reason why you provided south vs. north cultural clash and background, it was enough how you described your experience and evaluation of schools from your perspective :)

Obviously, Fuqua is only school from South here, but even without that info, I would rule them out based on your description.

That comes to Tuck vs. Kellogg.

If difference in investment is not too much for you, I would go to Kellogg.

I don't doubt that Tuck might do the trick, but here is the insight from Renewable industry :

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140704 ... rgy-sector

I can see only Kellogg in top 10 in renewable and clean tech.

My vote goes to Kellogg.

Good Luck with decision :cool: !
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 16:16
billionaire wrote:

I don't doubt that Tuck might do the trick, but here is the insight from Renewable industry :

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140704 ... rgy-sector

I can see only Kellogg in top 10 in renewable and clean tech.

My vote goes to Kellogg.

Good Luck with decision :cool: !

thanks Billionaire! great insight and useful link- I had never seen that before. To clarify, i am a lover of people from both the north and the south (and everywhere else too)! just wanted to point out that though im from one region, i had a lot of great experiences with people from a different region during my UG, so im not concerned about a student body that may lean towards NE representation (like tuck). hope no one took that the wrong way!
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 17:18
Hi toughcall10

Congrats for all the great schools.:) You won't go wrong with any of them.

All schools send handful students to energy (1 or 2 % employment in energy all the past years). It is not clear in Kellogg and Tuck who went to renewable energy but only 1 from Fuqua went there in 2018.

https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/care ... e-salaries
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/ca ... stics.aspx
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/sites/www1.f ... inal_0.pdf

I think you did your due diligent based on your goals. In many cases, you need be rational and follow your gut. I feel that you do no lean to Fuqua. So I will focus on Kellogg and Tuck. Both have great institutions who provides even continuous courses in the field after graduation, something I value. However, I did not see the level of courses, workshops or initiatives in Tuck as it is in Kellogg. By far, Kellogg provides wide array of opportunities in energy that I do not see in Tuck. Please review:
https://kellogg.campusgroups.com/energy ... %20Courses

while I love Tuck more than Kellogg, I can't see in terms of your goal any privilege for Tuck except the scholarship. You can return to Kellogg and ask for any scholarship at least to match Tuck but you need to do it nicely.

good luck
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 12:17
toughcall10 wrote:

Schools

Interesting profile and a good conundrum to have. You should be proud of breaking into these schools.

I am a person who would always try to go out of comfort zone (read it as swaying towards Kellogg as you have called it a 'reach' for yourself). Mind you that none of these 3 schools are heavy for your typical/traditional energy roles (outside of energy consulting or energy/Oil & Gas IB). That being said, Kellogg's alumni base, networking opportunities in Chicago/elsewhere in US and an increasing emphasis on expanding its energy focused curriculum makes Kellogg a good candidate for you. Yes, Tuck's and Fuqua's $$$ is enticing but you already have 100k$ saved. If I was in your position, I would choose a strong brand name that will set you up for non energy roles as well as MBA throws a curveball wrt professional options usually and you should go with a program that will leave with no regrets while at the same time opening up newer/more interesting roles that you can easily tap into.

Happy to answer any and all questions about Kellogg. Let us know what you finally decide.
Consortium Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 12:20
I have similar interests as you, and I applied to Tuck because they had the Revers center. They don't have as many courses in energy, but the focus they are placing on experiential learning (e.g. projects with energy companies) appealed a bit more to me than course offerings.

I didn't look at Kellogg since I was mostly targeting smaller programs.

I'd focus mostly on culture since I don't think the difference between the opps arising from attending or reputation from either school are that different, money aside. However, especially since you have money saved up, I would not place too much emphasis on cost at this point.

Last thing for me is the location difference between the schools is pretty big IMO. I would place a big premium on where I'd prefer to live.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Kellogg vs Tuck ($$) vs Fuqua ($$$)   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2018, 12:20

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch