GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kenan Flagler (no $) vs Kelley ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school I should select?

• 30% [3]
  • 70% [7]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Kenan Flagler (no $) vs Kelley ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 20:58
Hi All,

I have been researching and get load of information from this community. Thanks to all you guys.
I am an international student who has dream to work in Western culture, especially, in US. I don't really mind the location in US
yet love to work in big city. My post MBA goal is transition career to management consulting (want to reach to highest paying company as I can).

I got offer from both Kenan Flagler and Kelley (with $10K scholarship for first year)
Definitely this is a good problem to have. Still, I can't make a decision since both are good schools.

My concerns,
- Landing consulting job after MBA (i found many negative rumors about UNC's career service)
- Impact in disclosure of grade
- Culture and life in community
- Impact in ranking and prestige
- Alumni and connection

Weather and location is pretty not my concern. I think I can find the way to live, ex. freezing cold.
Visiting schools might helps but it cannot be done. I have ton of works and yes, flying cost.

happy to hear every opinion.

Thank you in advance.
Director
Director
G
CAT Tests
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs Kelley ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 21:37
konezu wrote:
Hi All,

I have been researching and get load of information from this community. Thanks to all you guys.
I am an international student who has dream to work in Western culture, especially, in US. I don't really mind the location in US
yet love to work in big city. My post MBA goal is transition career to management consulting (want to reach to highest paying company as I can).

I got offer from both Kenan Flagler and Kelley (with $10K scholarship for first year)
Definitely this is a good problem to have. Still, I can't make a decision since both are good schools.

My concerns,
- Landing consulting job after MBA (i found many negative rumors about UNC's career service)
- Impact in disclosure of grade
- Culture and life in community
- Impact in ranking and prestige
- Alumni and connection

Weather and location is pretty not my concern. I think I can find the way to live, ex. freezing cold.
Visiting schools might helps but it cannot be done. I have ton of works and yes, flying cost.

happy to hear every opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Kelley will be the best bet here keeping in mind money, UNC's career service being not the best, similar rankings and similar job offers
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 23:33
Thx KS15

some say KFBS has one tier above Kelley and some say they both are the same tier.
For the jobs, KFBS said they ever sent people to Mckinsey while Kelley is confident in second tier consulting firms.

In my case, there is limitation in my visa status. Hence, still cannot decide.

For KFBS and Kelley both current students and Alum, any help here?

thx.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 02:06
Hey konezu ,

Congratulations for two great admits. :)

I could see that your Scholarship from Kelley is $20k for two years.

Did you try negotiating with Kelley on this? I would always prefer to do that and mention them that I have an admit from Kenan Flagler.

If they make the difference large, I may choose kelley otherwise I would prefer to go to UNC.

Note that UNC is considered a top 20 MBA program while kelley has seen a huge drop this year and I personally don't feel it's worth saving those 20k dollars.

All the best :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 02:26
Thank you for your replied abhimahna

yes, I did try negotiating on this and they didn't change the number.
Ranking is good thing, but I am not 100% sure about their capacity helping international students landing a job in US.

btw, thx again.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 02:33
konezu wrote:
Thank you for your replied abhimahna

yes, I did try negotiating on this and they didn't change the number.
Ranking is good thing, but I am not 100% sure about their capacity helping international students landing a job in US.

btw, thx again.

Hey konezu ,

I completely agree to your point. But consider that the statement "Ranking is good thing, but I am not 100% sure about their capacity helping international students landing a job in US." is applicable to both UNC and Kelley. I heard this year internationals are struggling in most of the schools. So, why go for a lower ranked school when atleast ranking might play an important role.

Moreover, it is not only about the rankings. Consider the following factors:

1. Location --> Kelley is a college town. So, you need to travel to cities to do networking while the same case is not applicable for UNC.
2. Diversity --> Kelley as per my experience so has around 35% of Indians. So, I am assuming less diversity will be there. But the same is not true for UNC.

Hence, I believe UNC makes much sense here.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B
Kenan Flagler (no $) vs Kelley ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 08:51
I would strongly recommend Kelley as per my discussions with Current students and alumni. Being an international student I was worried about the similar issues. UNC is a great school, but it has a non existential career management centre. Kelley on the other hand has a decent support system in place and places well in North east. Employment statistics > rankings IMHO. Kelley and KF employment stats are mirror images. As far as MBB is considered KF isn't placing dozens there. It's 3-4 candidates to the maximum. Choose wisely.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 10:15
abhimahna wrote:
Hey konezu ,

Congratulations for two great admits. :)

I could see that your Scholarship from Kelley is $20k for two years.

Did you try negotiating with Kelley on this? I would always prefer to do that and mention them that I have an admit from Kenan Flagler.

If they make the difference large, I may choose kelley otherwise I would prefer to go to UNC.

Note that UNC is considered a top 20 MBA program while kelley has seen a huge drop this year and I personally don't feel it's worth saving those 20k dollars.

Just curious, have you had success negotiating scholarship numbers with schools that've already given you scholarships?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs Kelley ($) &nbs [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 10:15

Kenan Flagler (no $) vs Kelley ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap