Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 19 Jul 2019, 03:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 20
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Mar 2018, 04:13
Hi everyone

Wanted your views on the subject.
I have been accepted to the Kenan Flagler MBA program with no scholarship. Really confused whether to join the program this year or re-apply next year (hoping for a scholarship or a better ranked school next year).

My profile: Indian, Male, 25, GMAT 740
Work ex: 3.5 years consulting experience till date
Short term goal: Continue in consulting preferably with MBB or Big 4s as an experienced consultant

I applied in Round 2 to 5 business schools (Kellogg, Darden, Nyu, Ross, UNC) but got interview invites only from Ross and UNC.
Results: UNC - Admitted (no $), Ross - waitlisted post interview, Kellogg - Interview waiver (almost a ding), Darden - Ding without interview, Nyu - waitlisted before interview.

What do you guys suggest?

Originally posted by kabs123 on 22 Mar 2018, 12:21.
Last edited by kabs123 on 24 Mar 2018, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 180
Location: United States
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 14:13
You have age on your side.

If you think you can bump up your gmat to a 760/770, then definitely apply next year and most probably you should get a T15 program.

If you think you have peaked on your gmat score and cannot do any better, go for KF.

If I were you, I’d try again.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 655
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 21:00
kabs123 wrote:
Hi everyone

Wanted your views on the subject.
I have been accepted to the Kenan Flagler MBA program with no scholarship. Really confused whether to join the program this year or re-apply next year (hoping for a scholarship or a better ranked school next year).

My profile: Indian, Male, 25, GMAT 740
Work ex: 3.5 years consulting experience till date
Short term goal: Continue in consulting preferably with MBB or Big 4s as an experienced consultant

I applied in Round 2 to 5 business schools (Kellogg, Darden, Nyu, Ross, UNC) but got interview invites only from Ross and UNC.
Results: UNC - Admitted (no $), Ross - waitlisted post interview, Kellogg - Interview waiver (almost a ding), Darden - Ding without interview, Nyu - No communication so far.

What do you guys suggest?


I agree with the above person's opinion. To add, go to Ross or Stern if you convert or else reapply next year.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17834
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 21:07
Depends on your job/situation. You can definitely improve next year or you can definitely do worse... Your career trajectory may be looking great right now but will cool next year. You will be potentially reapplying to these schools and you will have to show them how you are different and how you have "grown" or what's something new you have achieved. The issue for many applicants, is that they were so paralyzed during the application process that have done the bare minimum at work from Oct till March.... and since you will most certainly be applying in Oct 2018.... what will you have to show? (possibly a lot but also, possibly nothing).

Age is a good thing and there are many ways to the career ladder besides a FT MBA. There is PT, EMBA, and just good old hard work. Consider the timing and opportunities and what alternatives you have. If your job is going great - maybe stay another year or two. If you feel, you have exhausted the opportunities and growth options and would need to change jobs, applying after being on the job for 6 months is not a great idea either.

P.S. I was at the end of my rope and could not wait 6 months or a year to reapply. I was sick and tired and needed to get out. Hopefully your situation is different.
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 20
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 04:50
Hi all

Thank you for the guidance.
About the GMAT score, I already have a score of 740 and the chances of improving it any further are very slim. I am not sure if it would be wise to spend another 2-3 months on GMAT (will have to restart the preparation again).

I see the following things improving in my profile in next 6 months:
1. Promotion at work (almost certain)
2. Extra work experience which would make my total experience 4+ years

Also, I have not applied to some schools having early rounds such as Duke and Tuck. Hence, I will not be a re-applicant in these schools next year.

I have the following questions:
1. Do you still think that I should join KF and not waste an extra year. (Please note that I don't have any scholarship from KF)
2. I did not even get an interview invite from Kellogg, Darden and Nyu. Do you think the improvements (mentioned above) can substantially improve my profile?
3. Based on your experience, what are the chances of admits from Ross and Nyu after getting waitlited in round two (nyu before interview). Should I keep my hopes high or consider the results as almost a ding?

Regards
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17834
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 08:31
Another option would be to hire a consultant for 4 hours and pay them to review your essays and profile and tell you if they think there is little or significant improvement that can be done. (You can preface this by saying you won’t work with them so there is no conflict of interest in terms of trying to win your business or minimize your negativity). That would be the most bullet proof way of getting an eval.



Also, if you have not used a consultant for your applications this season, you may consider using one next year. Usually (not always) they can add enough value to bump you up.

PS. If you are getting a promotion and feel comfy in your job, perhaps you wait. Combined with a consultant help and time to build your story, you should be able to crack Top 15 and Top 10.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Image
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4273
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 13:45
You are young. Reapplications can be TOUGH, but some schools are more reapplicant friendly than others (considering obvious improvements like the GMAT, promotion at work, better EC etc).

What are your goals? If you want to get into consulting, UNC is pretty good at that (McKinsey lists it in its emerging scholars program so they hire from there for sure). That said, MBB at UNC will be tough if you look at the numbers and the resulting odds.

If you think your work situation will improve quite a bit next year, Ross, Tuck and Stern will be welcoming you as a reapplicant as opposed to a few other schools who will take your money but won't really care.

So, in sum, do UNC if your goals make sense at UNC. Reapply if you want to do tech, MBB specifically, or niche finance.

You can also get feedback from a few schools that you applied to. It is generally vanilla but sometimes schools tend to be honest.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 20
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 11:54
bb wrote:
Another option would be to hire a consultant for 4 hours and pay them to review your essays and profile and tell you if they think there is little or significant improvement that can be done. (You can preface this by saying you won’t work with them so there is no conflict of interest in terms of trying to win your business or minimize your negativity). That would be the most bullet proof way of getting an eval.



Also, if you have not used a consultant for your applications this season, you may consider using one next year. Usually (not always) they can add enough value to bump you up.

PS. If you are getting a promotion and feel comfy in your job, perhaps you wait. Combined with a consultant help and time to build your story, you should be able to crack Top 15 and Top 10.

Posted from my mobile device


Thank you for the advice. I think the best way forward is to hire a consultant and get a ding analysis.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2018, 11:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kenan Flagler (no $) vs re-apply next year

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne