GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 10:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2010, 06:12
Hi Prawtraibia,
Welcome to the GMAT club :)
Appearing for GMAT this year or Next Year?
what are your plans or in case of any help you can post us..
Thanx
sandy
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2010, 08:51
Greetings everyone! I am new in the forum. Just want to greet you all :)
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2010, 09:03
Nice to meet you goorne and welcome to the forum. When will you be taking the GMAT?

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2010, 13:50
Hi Comrades!

My name is Adeel Shakir and I am from Karachi, Pakistan.

To start off with, I would like to formally introduce myself; my purpose to appear for GMAT and
ultimtate GMAT goal (in terms of score)

Work Experience
I have over 4 years work experience in the field of Investment/Asset Management (Pakistan). Currently, I am working as a Manager - Strategy & Product Development in the largest private asset management company of Pakistan (ublfundsDOTcom) Previously, I was working as an Assistant Manager/Analyst (Equity Research & Market Risk Analyst) in another leading asset management company of Pakistan (for a period of almost 2 years).

Academics
I have an MBA - Finance and BBA (4 years) programme (Bi majors: Finance & Marketing) from one of the leading business schools of Pakistan.

PURPOSE of APPEARING FOR GMAT
Albeit i am doing fairly well career wise (as i am progressing well), but i would like to pursue an international career so that i can get more exposure to international financial markets. To enter international markets, one needs to be very competitive. I have been researching extensively for universities offering high quality post experience masters in finance programme, and i only came across a couple worth considering (i.e. LBS Masters in Finance programme, and RSM Masters in Financial Management programme). Since i have significant work experience a plain MSc finance will be a waste; thus a post experience programme would be ideal in terms of practicality and job prospects. (Note: I don't want to do another MBA as i already have one; plus MBA is more a general managerial programme; and i am looking to further polish my technical skills;moreover post experience MiFinance programmes also focuses on managerial aspects of finance).

ULTIMATE GMAT GOAL
I am aiming to get somewhere between 700-730 (not anything less than 700). Since LBS MiF(in particular) and RSM's MFM programmes are quite expensive; i wouldnt be able to pursue my dream programme without some sort of scholarship; therefore, an excellent GMAT score is a must.(would also appreciate your feedback on LBS MiF and RSM MFM programme feedback)

I know thread has become a bit long so i wouldnt bore you by mentioning my Study Plan for GMAT here (that will be posted in the relevant section for your review and kind feedback).

I have heard a great deal about the kind of support and encouragement one receives on this forum so i am looking forward for your expert opinion and guidance throughout my preparation to BEAT the GMAT :)

Look forward for your replies :)

"I spit on ladyluck and write my own destiny..."
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2010, 21:32
Hi Adeel, welcome to gmat club!! :)

Your first post is an inspiring one! Kudos!!

Well, I have seen & observed a lot of people entering this club & ultimately ending their journey with their dream score report in their pocket. I wish a same journey to you & believe me you have every bit of chance to cross 700 mark. The only requirement is commitment & passion.

Your MSC Finance plan is great. Kindly do go through this thread, if you havn't. masters-of-science-programs-ms-148/

Some useful links for you:
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html
best-gmat-books-77703.html

Participate here, use the tag list & advance search functions and you will feel the difference. Best of luck & keep us posted. :)

P.S : As discussed with you earlier, I am always available for any advice.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2010, 21:41
adeelshakir wrote:
Hi Comrades!

My name is Adeel Shakir and I am from Karachi, Pakistan.

To start off with, I would like to formally introduce myself; my purpose to appear for GMAT and
ultimtate GMAT goal (in terms of score)

Work Experience
I have over 4 years work experience in the field of Investment/Asset Management (Pakistan). Currently, I am working as a Manager - Strategy & Product Development in the largest private asset management company of Pakistan (ublfundsDOTcom) Previously, I was working as an Assistant Manager/Analyst (Equity Research & Market Risk Analyst) in another leading asset management company of Pakistan (for a period of almost 2 years).

Academics
I have an MBA - Finance and BBA (4 years) programme (Bi majors: Finance & Marketing) from one of the leading business schools of Pakistan.

PURPOSE of APPEARING FOR GMAT
Albeit i am doing fairly well career wise (as i am progressing well), but i would like to pursue an international career so that i can get more exposure to international financial markets. To enter international markets, one needs to be very competitive. I have been researching extensively for universities offering high quality post experience masters in finance programme, and i only came across a couple worth considering (i.e. LBS Masters in Finance programme, and RSM Masters in Financial Management programme). Since i have significant work experience a plain MSc finance will be a waste; thus a post experience programme would be ideal in terms of practicality and job prospects. (Note: I don't want to do another MBA as i already have one; plus MBA is more a general managerial programme; and i am looking to further polish my technical skills;moreover post experience MiFinance programmes also focuses on managerial aspects of finance).

ULTIMATE GMAT GOAL
I am aiming to get somewhere between 700-730 (not anything less than 700). Since LBS MiF(in particular) and RSM's MFM programmes are quite expensive; i wouldnt be able to pursue my dream programme without some sort of scholarship; therefore, an excellent GMAT score is a must.(would also appreciate your feedback on LBS MiF and RSM MFM programme feedback)

I know thread has become a bit long so i wouldnt bore you by mentioning my Study Plan for GMAT here (that will be posted in the relevant section for your review and kind feedback).

I have heard a great deal about the kind of support and encouragement one receives on this forum so i am looking forward for your expert opinion and guidance throughout my preparation to BEAT the GMAT :)

Look forward for your replies :)

Adeel, have you also considered becoming a CFA?

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 06:34
shaselai wrote:
Dawgie wrote:

how long have you had your cfa?

I'm still working on it, if you interested check out AnalystForum.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:05
Hi Mazhar :)

Good to hear from you thanks alot for your help and for kudos. I look forward for an inspiring and successful journey towards my GMAT target. In order to ensure that i have given good time to myself to achieve my goal, i am willing to devote next 5-6 months as a study period for GMAT.

Please also let me know where i can post my GMAT Study Plan so that i can receive feedback from you and other GMAT experts....

PS: - Thanks alot for your help for MGMAT and for posting valuable links. I look forward to stay in touch with you. Also keep me posted about your progress on Oxford :)...

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:23
Dawgie wrote:
adeelshakir wrote:
Hi Comrades!

Hi Dawgie..I am in the investment management industry so yes i have definitely considered CFA. I would look into CFA after my GMAT.
In my opinion, I see CFA as a self study programme which anyone can do while sitting home practicing and learning and keep in mind that it is afterall a Self Study Programme (no doubts about its recognition and benefits ofcourse).

But i prefer doing a post experience Masters in Finance programme first due to the fact that it gives you exposure to international markets where you also get to meet different people from various cultures. More importantly, you learn the concepts and do real life projects which u dont do in CFA.

Keep in mind that a post experience MiFinance programme will teach you alot more than a CFA; since you would be studying lot of subjects in depth (Also keep in mind that my reasoning applies only if you do top MiFinance programme such as from LBS..since its for people who already have experience in the industry and who wants to widen their career prospects in finance).

Now to answer your question; yes i would do CFA, but that would be considered after my GMAT. I feel that CFA relatively will be easier for me due to the fact that i have worked across all major areas of investment management.

Hope you understand my point. Let me know what you think.. :)
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:43
adeelshakir wrote:
Dawgie wrote:
adeelshakir wrote:
Hi Comrades!

Hi Dawgie..I am in the investment management industry so yes i have definitely considered CFA. I would look into CFA after my GMAT.
In my opinion, I see CFA as a self study programme which anyone can do while sitting home practicing and learning and keep in mind that it is afterall a Self Study Programme (no doubts about its recognition and benefits ofcourse).

But i prefer doing a post experience Masters in Finance programme first due to the fact that it gives you exposure to international markets where you also get to meet different people from various cultures. More importantly, you learn the concepts and do real life projects which u dont do in CFA.

Keep in mind that a post experience MiFinance programme will teach you alot more than a CFA; since you would be studying lot of subjects in depth (Also keep in mind that my reasoning applies only if you do top MiFinance programme such as from LBS..since its for people who already have experience in the industry and who wants to widen their career prospects in finance).

Now to answer your question; yes i would do CFA, but that would be considered after my GMAT. I feel that CFA relatively will be easier for me due to the fact that i have worked across all major areas of investment management.

Hope you understand my point. Let me know what you think.. :)

I agree with what you are saying for sure! In class learning is different from self study. I was just throwing it out there. If you do a MiFinance program, along with your background and knowledge in the invsetment management industry, it will definitely make the test easier for you. Make sure to brush up on your accountings, there will be a lot in the first levels! I have also heard that LBS is great for international opportunities. Best of luck on GMAT and admission.

Yours truly,
Dawg

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 17:22
A snug greeting to everyone!
Hiya to all,i am a brand new member of this forum and intend to have a great experience here
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 17:35
ummm welcome! how are you in preparations? there are tons of stickies to help newbies out!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Mays (Texas A&M), McCombs (Texas), Bauer (Houston)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2010, 07:24
Hello all,

My name is Ben, and I found this site yesterday. I graduated in '06 with a BS Ag. Business from Sam Houston State University. I haven't done any prep for the GMAT, only answered a few sample questions for the GRE online and seemed to do pretty well. I didn't complete the entire sample test so I don't know what the potential score was. I do know that I have always excelled in verbal and lacked in the quantitative sections, so I know where my extra work will rest.

I am one of those students who didn't live up to my academic potential during college as I was a bit too preoccupied with work and my father's health (I also assisted him financially - not significantly, but some of my wages went to him). I graduated with a mid 2's GPR and know that I will need to score very well (700+) on the GMAT to have any chance of admittance.

I have thought about taking the GMAT and applying to B school a number of times, but haven't done so out of fear of failure/non-acceptance. Well I finally realized I'll never know if I'll be accepted if I don't pony up, set a date, and tackle the whole issue.

My target schools are: Texas A&M, Houston, and Texas. Number one preference is A&M as it has been a life long goal to attend school there and their student/alumni network is outstanding.

Thanks for such a great site, I'll do my best to keep you updated on my progress. I plan on choosing a testing date in the next 1-2 weeks.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 16:58
Hi all
Shade is my name, I was searching the web and i found this forum. very usefull information in there.
Basically i graduate from my country 5 years ago with a master in business and economics and 3 years ago I moved here.
I spent couple of months fixing my English with Kaplan and then I opt out to find a survival job.
Right now I am considering an MBA to have my accounting career back, my main concern right now is about the lack of experience, I was wandering whether or not crack the CPA exam first, before considering any MBA because my target is the so called ivy league.
That's all about me.. I guess
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 23:04
BenKl wrote:
Hello all,

My name is Ben, and I found this site yesterday. I graduated in '06 with a BS Ag. Business from Sam Houston State University. I haven't done any prep for the GMAT, only answered a few sample questions for the GRE online and seemed to do pretty well. I didn't complete the entire sample test so I don't know what the potential score was. I do know that I have always excelled in verbal and lacked in the quantitative sections, so I know where my extra work will rest.

I am one of those students who didn't live up to my academic potential during college as I was a bit too preoccupied with work and my father's health (I also assisted him financially - not significantly, but some of my wages went to him). I graduated with a mid 2's GPR and know that I will need to score very well (700+) on the GMAT to have any chance of admittance.

I have thought about taking the GMAT and applying to B school a number of times, but haven't done so out of fear of failure/non-acceptance. Well I finally realized I'll never know if I'll be accepted if I don't pony up, set a date, and tackle the whole issue.

My target schools are: Texas A&M, Houston, and Texas. Number one preference is A&M as it has been a life long goal to attend school there and their student/alumni network is outstanding.

Thanks for such a great site, I'll do my best to keep you updated on my progress. I plan on choosing a testing date in the next 1-2 weeks.

It seems your all schools are Texas Houstn based. Why you don't search for couple of good schools outside it?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 23:44
shade wrote:
Hi all
Shade is my name, I was searching the web and i found this forum. very usefull information in there.
Basically i graduate from my country 5 years ago with a master in business and economics and 3 years ago I moved here.
I spent couple of months fixing my English with Kaplan and then I opt out to find a survival job.
Right now I am considering an MBA to have my accounting career back, my main concern right now is about the lack of experience, I was wandering whether or not crack the CPA exam first, before considering any MBA because my target is the so called ivy league.

Welcome! You are definitely in the right place.
if you are applying this year, ( meaning for 2011) I wouldn't do anything else other than apply. CPA is nice but I'm not sure that will help you with admissions chances at an Ivy League school. not sure it's worth getting a CPA right before spending 2 years in the business school.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2010, 14:49
bb wrote:
shade wrote:
Hi all

Welcome! You are definitely in the right place.
if you are applying this year, ( meaning for 2011) I wouldn't do anything else other than apply. CPA is nice but I'm not sure that will help you with admissions chances at an Ivy League school. not sure it's worth getting a CPA right before spending 2 years in the business school.

Thank you bb for the warm welcome
I definitly plan to apply for 2011, but I can't really focus on my study, I don't know why?
I hope Iwill be on time since first round is around the corner for some schools. I wil try to crack the GMAT and apply before it's to late
Manager
Manager
Schools: Terry, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2010, 00:04
Hi,
My name is Samidh Bhattacharyya. I am a B.Tech in Biotechnology from the West Bengal University of Tehcnology. My GPA on a 10 point scale is 7.87. My past academic scores are: Class xii: 83% & Class x: 89.2% .As far as my extra curricular activities are concerned there are not many worth mentioning!
I have been working in Wipro Technologies from April 2010 and have aplan of appearing for GMAT in November this year. I am targetting the session of fall 2011. I know it is a little difficult to get into a good B school with this little experience, specially as ill need scholarships etc to fund my degree. But well I am hoping for the best. Let us see what happens from here!
All the best to everybody fot their future ventures!

Samidh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to get in touch if you feel I can be of some assistance to you. You can find me in Facebook if you search!

Consider giving me some kudos if you like my post

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2010, 01:30
samidh wrote:
Hi,
My name is Samidh Bhattacharyya. I am a B.Tech in Biotechnology from the West Bengal University of Tehcnology. My GPA on a 10 point scale is 7.87. My past academic scores are: Class xii: 83% & Class x: 89.2% .As far as my extra curricular activities are concerned there are not many worth mentioning!
I have been working in Wipro Technologies from April 2010 and have aplan of appearing for GMAT in November this year. I am targetting the session of fall 2011. I know it is a little difficult to get into a good B school with this little experience, specially as ill need scholarships etc to fund my degree. But well I am hoping for the best. Let us see what happens from here!
All the best to everybody fot their future ventures!

Hi sami, welcome to gmat club!

I hope you will be having good time during your gmat preparation. One point I wanna make is that if you targeting a score of near or above 700 then you really need to work hard & smart in next 45 days. I hope you will then apply in R2 of major schools.

Best of luck & keep us posted. In case of any help kindly do let us know.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Schools: Terry, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2010, 02:19
Hussain15 wrote:

Hi sami, welcome to gmat club!

I hope you will be having good time during your gmat preparation. One point I wanna make is that if you targeting a score of near or above 700 then you really need to work hard & smart in next 45 days. I hope you will then apply in R2 of major schools.

Best of luck & keep us posted. In case of any help kindly do let us know.

Thanks Hussain,
I hope that i will be able to help my fellow GMAT aspirants as well via this forum. Please let me know if anyone needs any kind of help regarding their preparations. I can't guarantee that i'll be able to answer all the questions, but ill surely try!

To be honest i do need you guys to help me out. As i said when i will apply i ll have almost nothing to show as far as my prof. experience is concerned. And ill also need almost all the scholarships and assistantships offered by the school to fund my study in US. In fact i have given all my details regarding this query and posted a thread in the admission consultants forum. I would like to know from you guys, who have taken the GMAT and have experience in talking to Bschools, is it really possible to get these grants etc with almost 0 prof. experience. i know its tough, but is it possible?
Thanks in advance...

P.S.: The school i would like to go most to is the Terry School of Business as my girlfriend is pursuing her PhD from the same university.

Samidh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to get in touch if you feel I can be of some assistance to you. You can find me in Facebook if you search!

Consider giving me some kudos if you like my post

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here &nbs [#permalink] 17 Sep 2010, 02:19

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  26   27   28   29   30   31   32  ...  66    Next  [ 1318 posts ] 

Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap