Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:25 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: LBS Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi all,

I am interested in applying for the LBS MFA program but am unsure whether I even stand a chance. Also, I am looking for advice on steps I could take to improve my chances.

Ethnicity: Asian

Some background: I graduated from the University of London International Programme (Accounting & Finance) in May 2018 with First Class Honors. Almost all my modules had First Class Grades but i unfortunately have 1 fail (Financial Management). If i have to give a reason, I would say it was because I was doing a full time audit internship with one of the Big 4 while having classes at the same time, so failing one module was my choice (given the time I had) as I wanted to focus on getting First Class for the other modules (I did). I did not participate in other extra co-curricular activities throughout my university life.

Currently I am working in audit at one of the big 4, but I am looking to get into a top tier masters programme (LBS,LSE etc) as i feel that it would help open up more career opportunities. I have great interest in the LBS MFA as I really like the program curriculum.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions i hope you guys can help with:

1. I know that for LBS MFA, CFA level 1 can be substituted for the Gmat. I have done neither, but will do one of them. Do you think I should go for the Gmat or CFA Level 1? I am inclined towards the CFA as I'd rather learn something in the process, than revisit math that I will never use again, also the CFA might also open some opportunities for me. Of course if i do go down the cfa route, my aim would be to complete the whole thing eventually and not just level 1. My worry about doing the Gmat is that my time would be wasted if I score well but still fail to get into the masters programme. However, if i sit for the CFA level 1 in Dec 2019, the results will only be out mid January 2020, which would be somewhere in the middle of the application timeline for the MFA. If i do the Gmat then my plan will be to take it in Nov/Dec as i need some time to study. I know that admission gets more competitive as the deadline approaches, hence my dilemma. I can only focus on either the Gmat or CFA level 1 as my working hours are sometimes quite long.

1.1 So do you think I should take the Gmat or CFA level 1?
1.2 Will the Gmat provide more weight to my application than the CFA?

2. Am i aiming too high? I have seen the backgrounds of people who did the LBS MFA programme and was wondering if i even stand a chance given my background. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

3. Do you guys know how strict LBS is on the 1-2 year work experience "limit" criteria for the MFA? I am nearing 1 year of work experience, I initially hoped to wait one more year (so 2 years of working exp) before applying but am unsure on how much that would hurt my chances.

Thanks so much in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Hi all,

Posting for a quick evaluation for the LBS full time MBA. Also looking to get in touch with current LBS full-time MBA alumni with a similar level of experience in industry to discuss about the benefits of the program and the potential roles that are available post MBA from LBS.

I plan to apply in Round 1 for the 2020 intake. I have 13 years experience in the Indian IT industry and with international exposure in London for the past 5 years. Been working with a leading Insurance client for the past 8 years in various roles and have good exposure in the insurance market in London and Europe. I was brought in to London to replace a person with more than 20 years of IT experience and perform the role of Subject Matter Expert for the Underwriting Product that the client uses for underwriting insurance. I also am a Certified member of the Chartered Insurance Institute, United Kingdom and hold an Executive Certificate in Management from the University of Virginia. Post MBA I plan to transition into a Consulting role in the Insurance sector if possible or take-up a Product Head/Strategy oriented role in a core Insurance company. Other information on my profile as follows

Undergrad Information- Mechanical Engineering from Biju Patnaik University of Technology, India, graduated in 2005 with 73.33%.

GMAT:750

No major extra curriculars to talk about but have been involved in long distance running since 2012 and participated in half marathons in India and UK. Also co-founded a running group in India and was a full-time member until leaving for UK in 2015.

Looking for a feedback on profile and also get in touch with current alumni to discuss about the program, its benefits and the opportunities that may open up with someone with my kind of profile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi, please evaluate my profile.

Female, 25 years old, India

Secondary education : 9.4 gpa
Senior Secondary : 81.9%

Graduation :
Bachelors of Architecture
(5 years course including 6 months internship)

College : NIT

CGPA : 7.67

GMAT : 710 (Q49, V 36)

Work Experience : 25 months at Larsen and Toubro
(as on august 2019)
Role : Senior architect

Have taken up more responsibility than is usually awarded at my cadre. Have handled one project in last year and am handling another project on my own as of now.(project values upwards of 100 crores)

Co Curriculars :
1. Regularly volunteer for ngo camps ( elderdly health camps etc)
2. Was part of organizing committees of college fests, department functions, functions in school
3. Was involved in dramatics and debating in school

Why mba ?

I know the technical aspects of a building, from the floor plans to the ventilation system, from the effect it can have on a person to the how livable and sustenable it can be .
I want to able to look at the same built environment from a business/financial/economic point of view also, to be able to have a more cohesive bigger picture.

Thanks !

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Background and nationality: 27 male from China

Undergrad Information:
Top Chinese diplomacy university, Major in English Language and Literature, Minor in International Relations
GPA: appox. 90/100 (my alma mater does not offer 4.0 scale GPA but the equivalent varies from 3.7-3.9 according to different metrics). Awarded national scholarships by Ministry of Education of China.

GMAT: 740 (Q51 V38 IR8 AW 5.5)
TOEFL: 115/120, I know most people on this forum don't need TOEFL scores but just put it as a reference

Work experience:
- (undergraduate) internship abroad at a United Nations regional hub, and Ministry of Finance of China, both working on policy analysis
- Joined one of China's policy financial institutions as client coverage officer since graduation, negotiating sovereign loans to local governments along the Belt and Road Initiative countries. Sectors are mainly focused on infrastructure, power, energy and resources.
1.1.5 years working in Beijing covering ASEAN countries
2.then fast-track promoted to regional manager on Asia and CIS (Russian-speaking countries) and worked for 2 years from Beijing, led a team and closed several deals, one of them was a Deal of the Year Award by a prestigious forum
3. relocated to Africa Office covering Eastern and Southern Africa. expected to have 1.5 years of WE upon matriculation. Lead negotiator for several mega sovereign debt restructuring (over 7bln USD) and interpreted for Company executives' meetings with African heads of states and government ministers.

Others: CFA, China CPA candidate, top employee performance award.
Traveled to over 30 countries in Asia, Europe and Africa, mostly in a professional capacity.
Official passport holder (government representative stationed abroad other than diplomats at the Embassy).

Extracurricular:
In college
- President of Debate and Public Speaking Club, won a few national and international awards
After college
- liaison officer of Chinese government poverty alleviation program to an impoverished county (each policy financier like us has been assigned a pair-up county to help reduce poverty with our resources and expertise). Helped source experts and funding for local farmers to grow certain fruits and identified early stage buyers.
- Licensed English teacher within the company, offering regular English language and interpreting/translation training to interested employees as a part of the company's staff training module
-Also speak intermediate French (B1 proficiency under EU standards)

Post MBA goals
Work as an investment officer in infrastructure at one of the nascent China-sponsored multilateral development banks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi!
I am a 25 y/o Male from India

Educational Background -
B.tech (Mechanical Engineering) - 7.84/10 or 70.9%
12th standard - 70.33%
10th standard - 9.4/10 or 89.30%

Work Experience -
36 months in Infosys Ltd.
Current designation - Senior Systems Engineer(Might get a promotion in the next quarter)
I am an SAP PI consultant/SAP UI developer with prior experience working as a SAP ABAP Developer.
I have worked on development/implementation projects only(No back-end support work till date)
I have worked on projects related to energy and manufacturing sectors till now(I feel it does not even matter as my work hardly changes from project to project)
I don`t have a leadership role but in the absence of my lead, I am the one coordinating the daily activities and dividing tasks among my teammates.
I have also received an award at work recently.

Extra-Curriculars -
Was chosen to be a part of the Self-governance team during the training period at Infosys after undergoing a selection process(A total of 10 people were chosen out of a batch of 450)
Was a part of an NGO for a couple of years. The NGO was dedicated to uplifting the unfortunate strata of the society, especially orphan children, by providing them with free education and a place to stay
Was part of the organizing teams for some fests(even a national level fest) during the college years

I am planning to apply in round 2. Is my profile competitive enough to give it a shot or should I wait it out for a couple of years and then try?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Hi all,

I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you might have on my chances:

Background: Indian male, 28, Canadian PR
Undergrad Information: Mechanical Engineering @ (top 10 engineering college in India) - 8.9 CGPA
Masters Grad: Moved to Canada for Masters @(Top 3 univ in Canada) - 87%
GMAT: 670, 690, Aiming for 730+

Work experience and leadership:
  • 4 years at matriculation at the largest engineering, procurement, and construction services company in Canada. No Management experience.
  • Committee Member, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
  • Committee Member, Health and Safety Committee
  • Team Cultural Ambassador

Community Leadership: 3 years @ Toastmasters International
  • Division Director, Toastmasters International – Leading a team of 5 volunteer area directors; initiated and persuaded the district-wide roll out of a new simplified quantitative tracking of area directors’ goals and progress;
  • Area Director, Toastmasters International – Motivated and led 75% of clubs within my Area to a distinguished status;
  • Vice President Education, Company Toastmasters Club – Motivated and mentored members to achieve their personal communication goals, leading the club to achieve Toastmasters’ highest club status.
  • Chartered one new club going from ideation, organization to marketing for 20 new members.

Post MBA goals:
Short Term Goals: Corporate Strategy for a engineering consulting firm.
Long Term Goals: Entrepreneurship, CEO

Thanks in advance! Appreciate your time and feedback.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools: Bocconi (WA)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Hello all

I am currently preparing to give my GMAT this November but am unable to zero in on the B-School that is the right fit for me. My main intention to attain an MBA degree is to gain work experience abroad, ideally in the football sector and return home to develop Indian football. I strongly believe an MBA would help me understand the management side of how an industry works. With my technical, on-field football knowledge and the understanding of the workings on the corporate side, ideally, I would like to bridge the gap that exists between these two sides in Indian football.
I am looking for a general MBA over a sports MBA for two reasons:
1) Meeting people from completely different working backgrounds.
2) Keeping my options open when looking for new job opportunities.

Although I am pretty sure that networking would be a major issue for me with the job opportunities I am looking at post my graduation, I am open to make my own contacts.

A brief about me:

9.6 GPA in 10th (CBSE)

95% in 12th (State board, India)

Majored in Mechanical Engineering from Shiv Nadar University- 7.02 GPA.

Work experience:
3 years

I have attached a picture of my Resume too. Please do go through it to better understand my work experience and help me with my move forward.

Thank you in advance
Nikhil Tottempudi

Attachments

File comment: Resume screenshot
Screenshot_20191010-125437_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20191010-125437_Drive.jpg [ 939.39 KiB | Viewed 3064 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools: LBS '22 (I)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
May I ask a more general question? Does LBS tend to take people with longer work experience?

I'm asking because I did some research and have found that even though LBS has a similar average WE (5.5 years) comparing to most other schools, it does have a much smaller standard deviation. Decision tracker shows almost half of the LBS admits have 60 months' experience, while US schools usually have a much wider range. Does is it mean if I have only 42 months' experience at matriculation, I'm almost certain dinged at LBS?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
<deleted>

Originally posted by burnermba64 on 20 Oct 2019, 07:39.
Last edited by burnermba64 on 12 Sep 2021, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
I wouldn't say that you're dead in the water but you're definitely behind the 8-ball.

They do pride themselves on having seasoned students and if you're not seasoned then
they generally direct you to the MIM program.

42 months is definitely better than 24 however and if you can show you're working on a high level and have demonstrated organization level impact then I think there's a chance. Depending upon other aspects of your profile of course.

I recommend that you check out the post I made early in this thread about LBS.

If you meet somebody at the admissions event then they are generally willing to do a resume review.

You might just give it a shot by emailing David Simpson.

Hoagie

Hoagie wrote:
May I ask a more general question? Does LBS tend to take people with longer work experience?

I'm asking because I did some research and have found that even though LBS has a similar average WE (5.5 years) comparing to most other schools, it does have a much smaller standard deviation. Decision tracker shows almost half of the LBS admits have 60 months' experience, while US schools usually have a much wider range. Does is it mean if I have only 42 months' experience at matriculation, I'm almost certain dinged at LBS?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I wouldn't say that you're dead in the water but you're definitely behind the 8-ball.

They do pride themselves on having seasoned students and if you're not seasoned then

42 months is definitely better than 24 however and if you can show you're working on a high level and have demonstrated organization level impact then I think there's a chance. Depending upon other aspects of your profile of course.

If you meet somebody at the admissions event then they are generally willing to do a resume review.

Hoagie

Hoagie wrote:

Thank you so much! It does look a little shaky if LBS really favors more seasoned students. I work in finance, and it’s a little unusual to apply after five years. Financial analysts’ best window for business school is usually between three to four years.
I got the interview in the first round. I will interview with an alumni next week. Is there anything I can do at the interview to ease the concern about short WE?
Send PM
Expert Reply
There's something about the way you use the word shaky that made me laugh for 5 minutes.

Are you Americanor Canadian? I'm wondering if the three to four years applies quite the same in Europe.

Rather than explaining that this is what's regular for finance students I would probably go about addressing their principal concern - do you have a lot to contribute to the class at this stage in your development.

they want to know that you have done some big things at work and that you can talk about them to shape and add value to the experiences of your colleagues.

As I mentioned in the earlier post I was referencing definitely speak to what is special to you abt LBS, you do have some great stats and so they will want to know that they can get you if they do offer a spot to you.

Hoagie wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Hoagie

Hoagie wrote:

Thank you so much! It does look a little shaky if LBS really favors more seasoned students. I work in finance, and it’s a little unusual to apply after five years. Financial analysts’ best window for business school is usually between three to four years.
I got the interview in the first round. I will interview with an alumni next week. Is there anything I can do at the interview to ease the concern about short WE?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you, that’s very helpful.
Actually I’m from Asia. I have some solid experience, but half of my work is analytical rather than organizational. I guess I could also dig into extracurricular activities.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well then just focus on how you made a positive impact and added value. And if you have some leadership from your extracurriculars absolutely speak to that.

the good thing is that you don't necessarily have to force your work experience to do all the heavy lifting you do have stats that are well above the average (exen for Asian s) there so you need to just demonstrate that you were going to bring something unique to the class and that could take many different forms.

Think about how you are different from your peers in terms of your industry ethnicity or role... Again also show fit with LBS and how that matches perfectly with your goals. Do you need a United Nation style program? Do you need to customized lengths program? This Is The Stuff David Simpson cares about because he believes that it has an impact on yield.

Hoagie wrote:
Thank you, that’s very helpful.
Actually I’m from Asia. I have some solid experience, but half of my work is analytical rather than organizational. I guess I could also dig into extracurricular activities.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks!
I’m pursuing MBA at this point to transfer from our isolated capital market to the international market. I honestly will withdraw my application to US schools if I got into LBS. London is more international and diversified. While climbing the corporate ladder on Wall Street as an Asian is impossible, it’s doable in London. And of course, the visa issues. London is a far better city for international students to develop a career in finance. I’m not gonna bluntly say that during the interview, but I’ll figure something out.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I think I could be a reasonably good for Masters in Finance. However, I am wondering whether I would be competitive for MBA programme. If you have further university suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Background and nationality: Czech Republic, white male, 26 years
Educational Background:
- Lived for 2years in UK, where I finished my high school diploma - not sure if relevant but adds more international experience.
- Undergrad: Empire State College with double major in Business administration and International Economic Relations; GPA 3.94 (top 3%)
- CFA level 3 candidate 2020
- ACCA Diploma in Accounting and Business (first three exams)
GMAT: 700 (Q47, V38)
Work experience and leadership:
- 4 years full time experience (by fall 2020, not considering internships mentioned below,)
- Currently: Senior Mergers&Acquisitions and Strategy Consultant at Big 4 (I work in two teams), responsible for 2-3 consultants/interns
- Previously: 0.5y full-time finance internship at IGO in Belgium, 0.5y internship at local investment bank, 0.5y internship at US embassy commercial section, 1y Data Administrator at Moody's Analytics
Community involvement: Volunteering at CFA local society
Post goals: I plan to transition to investment associate role leveraging my current B4 experience and CFA.
Target schools: London Business School (Masters in Finance), Cambridge (Masters in Finance)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hi!

I am 24, Indian, UG in Computer Science Engineering.

Work ex: Consulting at Tier-II consulting firm ( Fortune 500 professional services company) - Got a policy exception to join consulting from technology without an MBA - the youngest member of consulting practice at my company in India - due for promotion which will make 3 promotions in 3 years of my career at the company.

Extra-curricular:

1. Trustee of a sports foundation - We train underprivileged kids in sports for free with an aim to make them professional athletes. This foundation is under leadership of an accomplished Paralympian
2. Advisor to an NGO which has fixed over 500 garbage dumps in India
3. Advisor to Member of Parliament ( Congressman ) - Help him with policies and initiatives around startups and tech

Reason for MBA - Get a deeper understanding of business and global markets and build a global network. I want to come back to India post-MBA and work for a VC along with helping the government in building a strong startup ecosystem for my country.

I am planning to write an MBA in the next 4 months and apply to class of 2021. You advice will be very helpful formulizing my strategy going forward.

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30