Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: LBS Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
angelrise27 wrote:
MBADecoder
This is a customized Executive MBA course for Professionals offered by ISB for selected employees of JSW. But this is not a full-time MBA course.

Hi Abhijeet, thanks for the clarification. This makes it much easier.
So I see a few great things in your profile:
1. The ISB Future Fit program you are part is for a very select few professionals to prepare them for leadership roles within the company. That's quite outstanding. Typically such an opportunity would be given to someone who has already demonstrated leadership and impact within the organization, so I can safely say you will satisfy the evaluation criterion of leadership potential at most MBA programs where you apply.
2. I will make another assumption based on my experience of working with another candidate from your company within the same departments as you - you are likely to have worked on mega million projects and been part of the strategic decision making (digital/ SCM transformation). All of this can help you create a solid resume. If you also gained some international experience during this stint, that would further add to your profile.
3. Regarding your b-schools, the GMAT/ GRE will be a big component to decide up a final list. HBS is difficult for most applicants, other than that, I'd say you'd be in good shape to apply to the rest if you can get a GMAT score above 700.
4. do you have any volunteering experience or any extracurricular activities that you are intensely involved in? Some of the UK/ European MBA programs have essay questions dedicated to your interests outside of work, and you would definitely want to utilize that space well to showcase your multifaceted personality.
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi shreypankaj132

Thank you for sharing your profile. You seem to have a really interesting background with some great experiences to include in your applications. Perhaps I missed it, but have you taken the GMAT yet? If so, what is your score? An are that I am concerned about in your profile is your graduate school performance. I recommend addressing this in an addendum to your application.

Aside from that, you do require a strong written narrative that demonstrates your contributions to HSBC (and other experiences) as well as clearly articulating your goals. I am happy to discuss those in a 30-minute free consultation. When you are ready, please reach out: https://www.siaadmissions.com/complimen ... nsultation.

Good luck!

shreypankaj132 wrote:
Hi GMAT Club!
I would really appreciate if you could help me understand if I stand a chance of entering LBS MBA

28 years old Indian
Xth: 93%, XIIth: 83%
B.Tech. from National Institute of Technology Allahabad (NIT Allahabad), GPA: 7.2/10 (2010-2014)
MBA from Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (GPA: 2.8/4.33) (2016-2018)
CFA Level 3 cleared

Work Experience
Analyst, HSBC Investment Banking, India (2018-Present)
Worked with Managing Directors, Directors based in UK in transaction origination and transaction execution. Performed market and sector research for clients and highlighted key activities and trends. Analyzed business models, developed detailed business plan and 3-statement financial models. Hands-on experience with Leveraged Buyout (LBO), Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) and merger model. Prepared pitch books, IMs, RFPs, financial models and did intrinsic and relative valuation.

Closed £8bn of transactions for various global clients. Received recognition multiple times by senior leadership

Worked in London for 3 months to support transactions at advanced stage, coordinated with clients and other banks to close transactions

Samsung Research Institute, India (2014-2016)
Interacted regularly with world’s leading telecom operators to identify key business requirements and coordinated with Product Engineering team to implement them in the solution stack. Provided uninterrupted Service Management to see that all the services are always functional. Closely worked with third party network vendors to ensure seamless delivery of our solution stack

Achievements - Business travel to Taipei to oversee commercialization of Samsung Galaxy S6 for Taiwanese operators

Awards
National finalist in HSBC's case competition
Authored ‘Why Putin should move on’ for the February issue of IIM Rohtak’s finance magazine ‘FI’
Avid quizzer and chess player

Extra-curricular
Avid traveler, having visited 8 countries.
Passionate about EDM and attended 15+ concerts all across the globe

Application
I will apply during September or October (R1 or R2)
Career goals: Corporate strategy (Tech-focused), Corporate M&A, PE/VC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Thanks team for the evaluation.

I am yet to take GMAT, currently scoring 700 in mocks. What score is a safe score according to you?

I don't have volunteering experience (does other aspects of my profile nullify no volunteering experience?), but have fair amount of international exposure.

Any other things that I can focus on to have a strong application?

One last thing, can you elaborate on the point regarding strong narrative for my experiences.

My main reason is international mobility and lack of growth opportunities.

Thanks again.

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi,

A GMAT with 700+ is quite safe for LBS. About your doubt of having volunteer experience, yes, it is important. But everyone has gaps in their profile and you can always fill them with other narratives. Like, you may want to bring out aspects of your personality which exhibits compassion or examples of how you helped people in professional and personal life. Also, your hobbies are very interesting and these can bring different traits of yours in light. So, it's all about how you present your personality to the adcoms.

If you’d like, we would be happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail.
Feel free to book our calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session

shreypankaj132 wrote:
Thanks team for the evaluation.

I am yet to take GMAT, currently scoring 700 in mocks. What score is a safe score according to you?

I don't have volunteering experience (does other aspects of my profile nullify no volunteering experience?), but have fair amount of international exposure.

Any other things that I can focus on to have a strong application?

One last thing, can you elaborate on the point regarding strong narrative for my experiences.

My main reason is international mobility and lack of growth opportunities.

Thanks again.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hey, thank you in advance for evaluating my profile.
Background: Male, 27 year old
Nationality: Indian

Undergrad:
Graduated in 2016, B Tech from NIT Rourkela (a top 20 engineering college in India),
GPA: 8.55/10
CFA Level 2 Pass, Planning my Level 3 next June

GMAT: 690 (I will go ahead with this score, no plans of retake)

Work Experience & Leadership:
Senior Associate in a Big 4 Firm (Energy and Utilities Advisory),
4 years of work ex (July 2016 – Present), 2 promotions in my first 3 years of service
Key Area of Work: regulatory and policy, performance improvement, financial advisory, bid process management and project management in Power Sector
• Helped my client secure a multi-million dollar funding from a multilateral development bank for system strengthening works.
• Leader for regulatory assignments in 4 different Indian States coordinating a team of 4

Community and others:
a) Social service experience of 4 years as Member of Leo Club, a youth organization of Lions Clubs International (2012-2016)
b) Part of the university soccer team in Inter University Tournaments and Business Unit Soccer team in Corporate Soccer Tournament.
c) Member of a Toastmaster Club. Presently holding the post of Club Secretary
d) Placement Coordinator for 2015-16 pass-out batch in University. Coordinated & facilitated the placements of 800 final-year students alongside a 15-member team.

Post MBA goals:
Join a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank and advise on transactions in the energy sector.

Schools Considered: LBS, HEC, NUS and Said
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Anonymous1994

I have just evaluated your profile on HEC and would love to evaluate it for LBS. I think I have already summarised the important points of your profile. Your profile showcases elements of leadership and impact but I’d like to reiterate that international experiences are very essential to exemplify in order to catch the eyes of adcom at LBS, HEC and Said. I can see that you also have an interesting and varied life outside of work. Just make sure that you also focus on examples which bring out innovative and creative side of yours.

I believe you tick all the boxes that are needed for one to get into LBS and other mentioned schools. For now, I would suggest start building stories from your experience. Do refer to the answer I replied to you on HEC's thread to get more perspective about connecting the dots. Alternatively, you could also get some ideas from this article we posted: How to connect the dots for an ideal MBA application.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com

Anonymous1994 wrote:
Hey, thank you in advance for evaluating my profile.
Background: Male, 27 year old
Nationality: Indian

Undergrad:
Graduated in 2016, B Tech from NIT Rourkela (a top 20 engineering college in India),
GPA: 8.55/10
CFA Level 2 Pass, Planning my Level 3 next June

GMAT: 690 (I will go ahead with this score, no plans of retake)

Work Experience & Leadership:
Senior Associate in a Big 4 Firm (Energy and Utilities Advisory),
4 years of work ex (July 2016 – Present), 2 promotions in my first 3 years of service
Key Area of Work: regulatory and policy, performance improvement, financial advisory, bid process management and project management in Power Sector
• Helped my client secure a multi-million dollar funding from a multilateral development bank for system strengthening works.
• Leader for regulatory assignments in 4 different Indian States coordinating a team of 4

Community and others:
a) Social service experience of 4 years as Member of Leo Club, a youth organization of Lions Clubs International (2012-2016)
b) Part of the university soccer team in Inter University Tournaments and Business Unit Soccer team in Corporate Soccer Tournament.
c) Member of a Toastmaster Club. Presently holding the post of Club Secretary
d) Placement Coordinator for 2015-16 pass-out batch in University. Coordinated & facilitated the placements of 800 final-year students alongside a 15-member team.

Post MBA goals:
Join a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank and advise on transactions in the energy sector.

Schools Considered: LBS, HEC, NUS and Said
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Would be awesome if you could weigh your thoughts in.

Nationality: Dutch

Education:
B.E 2013 , KJSCE, Mumbai 63% (first class)
Msc, 2016, TU Eindhoven (2nd best technical university in the Netherlands (after Delft)), GPA = 6.83/10 (unweighted), Thesis (7.7/10) - Received funding worth 40,000 euro from the company during my thesis(in the company) to solve xxx problem
MITx Micromasters in Supply Chain management, 8.5/10
CFA level 1

Work exp:

Founder, XXX Netherlands (current)
distributor and consultant for providing solution for a very specific technology related to fmcg manufacturing. This is in partnership with a friend of mine with the parent company in Mumbai.
Not much to add yet as we just started.

R&D, Asst Manager, Fortune Top 200 in a FMCG (1 year - current)
-Processing lead of a UK based portfolio worth 200M pounds delivering annual savings worth 100,000 pounds.
-Processing lead for factories based in (country A) and (country B) in EU for a CAPEX worth 1M pounds.
-Consultant for a 3PM (third party manufacturers), advising them on improving production efficiencies and improved conversion costs for my company.
-Introduced new optimisation methods in r&d to improve reformulation of products reducing material costs by 10%.
-Introduced and trained team on ML algorithms.

Technology Consultant, Biggest fmcg in NL (3 years)
-Lead process improvements in the largest XXX production facility in EU.
-"XXX expert" in the whole consultant community of 50 senior and junior engineers within the company. (means they always come to me for help).
-lead and liaised post doc research project between university and company for the above mentioned XXX production.
-Consultant for automating entire production line reducing operator workload by 20%
-secured funding worth 150,000 euros for a business case made by me to reduce c02 emissions in a production facility.
-lead project team of 6 to solve an urgent issue in production related to quality.

Master thesis, Biggest FMCG in NL (9 months)
- improved production yielding a postiive npv of 100,000 euros

Intern, Dow Chemicals
-Quantified defects in process using advaced statistics and implemented improvements using APC algorithms.

additional info/ interests:
- volunteer for design week, Netherlands
- volunteered for technology fair , netherlands

experience in dcf modelling, intrinsic valuation, corporate valuations as part of my self education and use it actively in managing family/ personal investments.
Languages - English, Dutch, Mandarin (HSK1)

Application: Possible within 2 years as I have a mortgage here to pay and the time will also give me an opportunity to move full time into a business strategic role within my current company further strengthening my profile.

Interested in LBS or INSEAD as I do not want to leave EU region and if I do, I wish to come back to the NL after my MBA. Open to advice on if you think there can be a better fitting school!!!

Goals: Strategic consulting, consultancy, M&A, break into finance industry.

Originally posted by walamet on 28 Jul 2020, 13:32.
Last edited by walamet on 29 Jul 2020, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi walamet,

You have got one strong profile. First, about the school choices, LBS and Insead both are great if you are eyeing a school in Europe, but for a profile like this, I feel you are greatly aligned with Stanford’s values of ‘impact’ and ‘leadership’. I think you should research it and find for yourself if you fit this school.

- About your stats, they are great, you have received funding and done a course from MIT which definitely is a plus for your profile. But I am not clear on the GMAT part, just for the information, it’s better if you target 700+ for your schools.

- About your work ex, I think this is one of the most competitive ones. You have clearly impacted many organizations by your leadership, your initiative, and your intellect. But here, do filter it and present the ones with most impact exhibiting every quality that a school needs. Also, what’s more impressive is you have worked in many roles in FMCG, finally, you found a problem and now with your company, devising a solution for it. This shows your capability of taking initiatives for the betterment of a whole huge sector and this is why I mentioned Stanford.

- About your extracurriculars, they are really great too. It’s very different and interesting that you have volunteered for a tech fair. Also, you are self-educated in the finance sector which shows you have the willingness to learn things other than your sector if you need them. I would advise you to present your experiences in the context of the values that are important and if possible, different than the pool. Also, bring out a blend of personal and professional self in your applications. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
walamet wrote:
Hi,

Education:
Msc, 2016, TU Eindhoven (2nd best technical university in the Netherlands (after Delft)), GPA = 6.83/10 (unweighted), Thesis (7.7/10) - Received funding worth 40,000 euro from the company during my thesis(in the company) to solve xxx problem
CFA level 1

Work exp:

distributor and consultant for providing solution for a very specific technology related to fmcg manufacturing. This is in partnership with a friend of mine with the parent company in Mumbai.

R&D, Asst Manager, Top 200 FMCG (1 year - current)
-Processing lead of a UK based portfolio worth 200M pounds delivering annual savings worth 100,000 pounds.
-Processing lead for factories based in (country A) and (country B) in EU for a CAPEX worth 1M pounds.
-Consultant for a 3PM (third party manufacturers), advising them on improving production efficiencies and improved conversion costs for my company.
-Introduced new optimisation methods in r&d to improve reformulation of products reducing material costs by 10%.

-"XXX expert" in the whole consultant community of 50 senior and junior engineers within the company. (means they always come to me for help).
-lead and liaised post doc research project between university and company for the above mentioned XXX production.
-Consultant for automating entire production line reducing operator workload by 20%
-secured funding worth 150,000 euros for a business case made by me to reduce c02 emissions in a production facility.
-lead project team of 6 to solve an urgent issue in production related to quality.

Intern, Dow Chemicals
-Quantified defects in process using advaced statistics and implemented improvements using APC algorithms.

experience in dcf modelling, intrinsic valuation, corporate valuations as part of my self education and use it actively in managing family/ personal investments.

Application: Possible within 2 years as I have a mortgage here to pay and the time will also give me an opportunity to move full time into a business strategic role within my current company further strengthening my profile.

Interested in LBS or INSEAD as I do not want to leave EU region and if I do, I wish to come back to the NL after my MBA. Open to advice on if you think there can be a better fitting school!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
walamet hi
Shimri from ARINGO here
Hard to give you a chance assessment without receiving more info. for example:
- you say you are Dutch, but your undergraduate degree is from India
- have you worked with international clients? - you mention EU projects just not sure who was on the other side of each project?
- I would also love to learn more about your entrepreneurial venture. on the one hand, it sounds exciting, on the other hand, as it is part-time, we need to understand "how serious is it"?
- and do you have any managerial experiences?)
- in University - were you active in any extracurricular activities?
But,
As you don't have a GMAT score yet, and only planning on applying in 2 years, I am assuming you just wanted to know if you are heading in the right direction, and the answer is yes

Professionally - you have a great career trajectory. solid career path in one industry - great!
Academics - look great! your Masters can help differentiate you
nice extracurricular activities too - volunteering shows you care about your community

So, all good for now. get cracking with the GMAT (no GMAT, no MBA) and decide when you want to apply...

For fun, you can watch our video on INSEAD vs LBS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IwSQ-Ckr24 (LBS wins of course!)

GOOD LUCK with your journey, and feel free to be in touch later, once you have a GMAT and ready to apply
(I am always on shimriw@ARINGO.com)
GOOD LUCK!

walamet wrote:
Hi,

Education:
CFA level 1

Work exp:

R&D, Asst Manager, Top 200 FMCG (1 year - current)

Intern, Dow Chemicals

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAnBevaluations wrote:
Hi,

You have got one strong profile. First, about the school choices, LBS and Insead both are great if you are eyeing a school in Europe, but for a profile like this, I feel you are greatly aligned with Stanford’s values of ‘impact’ and ‘leadership’. I think you should research it and find for yourself if you fit this school.

- About your stats, they are great, you have received funding and done a course from MIT which definitely is a plus for your profile. But I am not clear on the GMAT part, just for the information, it’s better if you target 700+ for your schools.

- About your work ex, I think this is one of the most competitive ones. You have clearly impacted many organizations by your leadership, your initiative, and your intellect. But here, do filter it and present the ones with most impact exhibiting every quality that a school needs. Also, what’s more impressive is you have worked in many roles in FMCG, finally, you found a problem and now with your company, devising a solution for it. This shows your capability of taking initiatives for the betterment of a whole huge sector and this is why I mentioned Stanford.

- About your extracurriculars, they are really great too. It’s very different and interesting that you have volunteered for a tech fair. Also, you are self-educated in the finance sector which shows you have the willingness to learn things other than your sector if you need them. I would advise you to present your experiences in the context of the values that are important and if possible, different than the pool. Also, bring out a blend of personal and professional self in your applications. If you’d like, we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
[/quote]

Thanks for the response Kashish!! I figured my GPA was a bit too low for Stanford, so wasn't sure. I do need to spend some time to figure out my focussed motivation for an MBA. Right now, the motivation is there but all over the place. I plan to take GMAT next year. The other stuff is about the scholarship as i sincerely hope to close my MBA with a net positive npv. Do you happen to know how much usually is the need based/ overall scholarship at Standord and LBS on average?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Aringo,

Hard to give you a chance assessment without receiving more info. for example:
- you say you are Dutch, but your undergraduate degree is from India - I am Indian who Naturalised as a Dutch national after moving here for my masters.
- have you worked with international clients? - you mention EU projects just not sure who was on the other side of each project? - Yes they were Internal clients in UK and Lithuania of the fmcg i work for.
- I would also love to learn more about your entrepreneurial venture. on the one hand, it sounds exciting, on the other hand, as it is part-time, we need to understand "how serious is it"? - As we just started, it is not something I would say is running full steam. We are more or less "surveying" at this point.
- and do you have any managerial experiences?) - within my role, the Manager delegates Managerial tasks to me for running projects. It is a combination of Managerial and a team lead task. But if you ask if it is a full time managerial position, then no.
- in University - were you active in any extracurricular activities? - In my Masters no. But within my current organisation yes. Running a chapter of a popular "Leadership" network.

I hope that gives a bit of clarity.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi experts, and thank you for taking time to evaluate the profiles!
I'd be glad if you could give an highlight assessment about my options of joining LBS MBA.

Target Schools: LBS, Booth, Columbia, IESE, Duke - Saving INSEAD and HEC for January/2022 intake

Background and nationality: Brazilian, 30 years, male

Undergrad Information: Top-5 University in Brazil, 70/100 Engineering. I have also a Finance Post-undergraduate specialization in a top business school in Brazil with a gpa of 90/100, does it helps?

GMAT: 720 48Q|40V | IR8 - Actually studying to retake since I have usually had higher quant scores, but I'll probably apply with this score and just submit another one if I get a higher grade. Trying to focus on the essays.

Work experience and leadership: 66 months at matriculation.
- 2 years in a small private equity fund, where I was promoted to analyst before graduation and had a very large amount of responsibilities (project management, financial management of the company, involved in all the strategy definitions, etc).
- 2 years in a corporate management trainee program - 7 people were selected out of 7k candidates - I've gone through technical and leadership training, and worked in Finance and Strategy areas with one promotion in 2 years
- 2.5 years in Big-4 working as a M&A strategy consultant - Mainly supporting big companies in the analysis and execution of their M&A processes

Community and others:
- NGO volunteer in Spain, where I supported entrepreneurs in the development of business plans.
- Finance vice-secretary for a international NGO, supporting the financial structuring and reporting of Projects aimed to help underdeveloped communities.
- Start-up Mentor, supporting start-ups in the development of Investment Pitches, Valuation, etc.

Post MBA goals: Consulting, M&A preferred. My long-term is to work in Corporate Development in not yet defined sector.

International Experience: Lived in Canada as a teenager, and got a scholarship for an exchange in Spain during undergraduation.

Already working on my essays.

Tks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi @Icbdelgado,

You have got a strong profile. Though your stats are slightly lower for Booth and Columbia, the other parts of your profile compensate for it well. Your professional experience and ECs are strong and can give you an edge provided that you craft your stories really well. On the surface, your profile gives a glimpse of ‘mature leader’ which is very uncommon. Also, you have international exposure, so overall I feel you are a good package.

I would advise you to stick to these values for all your target schools:
Global Outlook and ability to work in multicultural teams
Clear and Pragmatic Career Goals
Strong communication
Collaborative leader

Additionally, make sure you list down the gaps that you have identified in your profile that you think an MBA from a school will help you fill in order to achieve your post-MBA goals. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect all the dots and build a great story. If you’d like we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin
lcbdelgado wrote:
I'd be glad if you could give an highlight assessment about my options of joining LBS MBA.

Target Schools: LBS, Booth, Columbia, IESE, Duke - Saving INSEAD and HEC for January/2022 intake

Undergrad Information: Top-5 University in Brazil, 70/100 Engineering. I have also a Finance Post-undergraduate specialization in a top business school in Brazil with a gpa of 90/100, does it helps?

GMAT: 720 48Q|40V | IR8 - Actually studying to retake since I have usually had higher quant scores, but I'll probably apply with this score and just submit another one if I get a higher grade. Trying to focus on the essays.

- 2 years in a small private equity fund, where I was promoted to analyst before graduation and had a very large amount of responsibilities (project management, financial management of the company, involved in all the strategy definitions, etc).
- 2 years in a corporate management trainee program - 7 people were selected out of 7k candidates - I've gone through technical and leadership training, and worked in Finance and Strategy areas with one promotion in 2 years
- 2.5 years in Big-4 working as a M&A strategy consultant - Mainly supporting big companies in the analysis and execution of their M&A processes

Community and others:
- NGO volunteer in Spain, where I supported entrepreneurs in the development of business plans.
- Finance vice-secretary for a international NGO, supporting the financial structuring and reporting of Projects aimed to help underdeveloped communities.
- Start-up Mentor, supporting start-ups in the development of Investment Pitches, Valuation, etc.

Post MBA goals: Consulting, M&A preferred. My long-term is to work in Corporate Development in not yet defined sector.

International Experience: Lived in Canada as a teenager, and got a scholarship for an exchange in Spain during undergraduation.

Tks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
lcbdelgado hi,
Shimri from ARINGO here. I am an LBS alumnus and head the ARINGO strategy team.
You have a fantastic profile. I am not worried about your GPA or GMAT whatsoever (we specialize in working with candidates with low GPAs or GMATs). Obviously, a higher score would be better, but with your profile, current GMAT scores, and some kick-ass applications, you will get into one of the schools you mentioned (sorry HEC and INSEAD, no need for plan B…)

I am that sure! (talk to me privately about how sure I am ? )

You have the full package
- Work experience – GREAT! Big 4 + corporate management and now PE. Very very good!
- Academics GPA a bit low, but you compensated with a good GMAT and a post-undergraduate certification – so not too worried on that front!
- International experience as a child and as a student – great! MBA programs look for this, and you can discuss your Canadian and Spanish experiences
- And some extracurricular activities and volunteering – always good

Your career goals are key for all essays and I am not sure “M&A in a big corporate” differentiates you from thousands of other applicants saying the same. I would connect your goals better to your past experiences and region (again, happy to discuss this privately).

As you understand, it is all down now to nailing some amazing applications.
Happy to assist further with this (I am always on shimriw@ARINGO.com)
Good luck!

lcbdelgado wrote:

Community and others:

Tks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Requesting a profile review

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by a Harvard Kennedy alum and an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad, I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.
I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year, I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Naseef hi,
Shimri from ARINGO here
Academics - you have a fantastic undergraduate (best business school...)
GRE - 328 is a great score, and if you improve it, wonderful (but even the 328 will be enough for top schools!)
TOEFL - 113 is enough for any school in the world
Professionally - Seems like you have a very interesting career progress. Fast track progression, being sent to HQ, and mentioning Facebook as your partner all sound amazing! I would like to hear more about this (did you have any promotions? do you work with clients/teams from other countries too? and what are the quantifiable achievements $ , % you can show?)
Family business - well, this might be the cherry of your profile - but naturally, I need to hear more about this

Regarding career goals - well, this depends on a lot of the above factors. especially what your family business do, where, and if you had any interaction with the business...

Feel free to send me your CV, and the above details, and any other relevant information (School wish list) to shimriw@ARINGO.com for a deeper profile analysis

GOOD LUCK!

Naseef wrote:
Requesting a profile review

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by a Harvard Kennedy alum and an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad, I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.
I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year, I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q166 V160
Send PM
MBA Info

Why I want an MBA: Short term goal is to transition into consulting (MBB or T2) where I'd learn how to formulate strategies and implement them in a business context. Long term, the learnings, prestige, and network of a good MBA would prove invaluable for when I either get into entrepreneurship on my own, or join the family business.

Why I want one now: I want to leave my current job and transition into consulting. Also, I'm somewhat burnt out and so I want a vacation lol.

Target schools: LBS and Oxbridge

Background

Work experience: Slightly above 4 years at matriculation (so just 3 years right now). I'm currently an equity research analyst in a lower-tier MM investment bank's office in my home country (located in South East Asia). (Yeah I'm not exactly a stock broker since that applies more to S&T, but I had to put something in the title of this post). The bank isn't really a well known brand, but it has a global presence (with a focus on Asia however in terms of investment banking activities). I cover a specific sector and have some international experience doing marketing/business trips (all in Asia though). I also jumpstarted and now handle the local internship program of this bank. Before this role, I had a summer analyst stint at a BB's ER and S&T divisions (also in SEA). My family also runs a business (~500 employees) and although I am not formally employed in it, I do help out whenever I can (ex. I help out in some recruitment activities, managing a fixed-income fund with private bankers, and doing the initial contacting of possible clients/business partners).

Extra curriculars and other experience: A little weak on this end. Haven't really done any formal ECs post undergrad. I do help out in my family's rather informal charity event, but this happens just once a year.

Undergrad school/major: Business Management (but I took a lot of quant classes) in a T2 uni in my country but it doesn't rank well globally.

Other education/coursework: Took a finance summer course in a top uni in the UK.

Race/nationality: East Asian/South East Asian ethnicity, citizen of a South East Asian country

Age and Sex: 24 male (I'd be 25 at matriculation)

Stats

GMAT Score: Took the GRE and (unofficially) scored a 326 (160V, 166Q). It converts to a 700 GMAT. Not sure about AWA but I would get my score on that portion soon (I'm expecting a 5-6). Should I do a retake? My score is at or above the average of all of the programs I'm targeting which disclose their average GREs and my tentative top choices say that they do not have a preference for one test over the other. (LBS does not announce its average GRE, but its average GMAT score is a 701. I guess I'm /slightly/ below average here when doing a straight-forward conversion.)

Undergrad GPA: 3.6x/4.0. Side note: My GPA looks unimpressive but my uni doesn't inflate grades, so I actually graduated at the 95th percentile in terms of GPA. How do I let adcom know about this?

Others: I speak 3 languages fluently (including English) if that matters, and have elementary fluency in one other language.

Concerns: I'd matriculate at 25 with 4 years of WE, but I'm applying to programs whose students (on average) matriculate at 28-29 with 5-5.5 years of WE. Will this be an issue? Also, the relative lack of ECs, and a decent but not amazing GRE score.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  30