GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Oct 2018, 06:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:46) correct 35% (00:59) wrong based on 1275 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.

A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established

Originally posted by nocilis on 28 Jan 2005, 21:51.
Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Oct 2018, 06:00, edited 2 times in total.
EDITED.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 02:27
Perhaps I can help clarify the trouble people are having with past perfect ("had been") vs. simple past ("was").

First, past tense does not necessarily mean that something is no longer true. For instance, I might say "When I was a child, I wanted to grow up fast because my brother was so much older than me." This doesn't mean that my brother is no longer older (thankfully, I still have my brother!). I am just talking about him in a past context. It would be wrong in this case to say "is so much older" just because he is still older.

Second, we don't always need to use past perfect when we have more than one past event. We only use it when the order of those events needs to be clarified or emphasized. For instance, we would say "I was born and raised in California," and not "I had been born in California and then raised there." It's clear enough that being born came first, so there's no need to use the past perfect to clarify. In other cases, we simply don't care which came first. If I say "I have studied French, Spanish, and Russian," I don't need to use "had" to show which came first unless the order is somehow important: "I had already studied French when I started to learn Spanish, so I had an easier time learning vocabulary."

Third, if we are going to use past perfect, we must have a clear time in the past that we are placing our action before. If I say "X had happened," I need to say which past event it preceded, or at what point in the past it had already happened: "X had happened when Y came along" or "By 1850, X, Y, and Z had happened." I was initially going to use "X had happened before Y did," but that's a case that's clear enough without past perfect, so it would be better to use simple past: "X happened before Y did." Notice that dropping "had" from my earlier examples reduces their clarity: "X happened when Y came along." (At the same time? After?) "By 1850, X, Y, and Z happened." (This is not as bad, but it makes it a little less clear that all of these things could have happened at any time before 1850, perhaps even many years earlier.)

Regarding this usage in particular, notice that E doesn't provide any reason to use past perfect. The most simple way to see this is that although we have more than one point in time (the 18th c. and 25 years ago), the main core of sentence does not say that leaching was a method before or by one of those times (the modifier does, but it's not part of the action!). It just says "Leaching had been a method, but until 25 years ago," we didn't know a certain thing about it. When I see "had been a method," I immediately want to know "until what?" The sentence doesn't answer that. On the contrary, it makes it seem that leaching continues--we just know more about it now. Furthermore, even if people stopped using this method, it would still be a method of mineral extraction--it just wouldn't remain in use.

Consider this case:

"Cockroaches had been an insect, but last year, scientists learned more about them." What? Cockroaches had been an insect? Did they stop being an insect and turn into something else? When did this happen? This sentence doesn't make much sense meaning-wise, but it also doesn't meet the criteria for past perfect. We aren't situating one past event in relation to another.

When would "had" be appropriate? Try this:

"By the time the first birds evolved, cockroaches had already been flying for millions of years."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 09:47
Top Contributor
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago, miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.

A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established ---'leaching and it' makes it an error of double subjecting with a single verb
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established -- This is a fragment.
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction ---correct choice
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was ---that refers to mineral and not to extracting mineral
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established -- if leaching had been a well-established method as early as 18th century, what happened to the method after the specified timeline? 'Had been' can be used only if the method ceased to be well established after the 18th century.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2005, 22:24
C it is
A and B miss verb to make first half a clause
D) "that was as early as" is not english :)
E) misplaced modifier problem. Is it the "mineral extraction" or the "method which is "well-established"?

C) has correct verb-tense agreement and makes "well-established" adjective of proper noun "method"

Best Regards,

Paul

General Discussion
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2005, 22:25
"it" is wrong
missing a verb
sounds good
Sounds like the mineral was as early as 18 century
The comma before "well" is wrong.

I would choose (C) for this one.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ISB '18, SPJ GMBA '17
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 20:45
12345678 wrote:
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.

Refer the below site to understand the usage of 'had been':

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pas ... nuous.html

IMO:

When we use had been in this sentence it would mean L is a method established in the past and not in use anymore. But the sentence is not trying to make that meaning.

Thanks,
A :)
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 19:02
Top Contributor
Option A - Incorrect.

Remove the modifier in the middle - "the recovery of copper from the drainage of mines".

We get the sentence -

"Leaching, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established ..." - Incorrect.

this is like saying "John, he went to the movies". the subject "leaching" is repeated again as "it". Hence, redundant.

Option B - Incorrect.
Remove the modifier in the middle - "the recovery of copper from the drainage of mines".

"Leaching as a method of the extraction of minerals well established as early as 18th century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process."

Note that "but" requires parallelism. the right hand side "miners did not realize ..." is a complete clause.
However, the left hand side "leaching as a method ..." is not.

Option C - Correct answer.

Option D - Incorrect.
"Leaching was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was as early as the eighteenth century" --->
"method that was early as 18th century" - Incorrect. "Method" cannot be as early as 18th century. (we are comparing "method" to "18th century"). We need to say that the method was discovered as early as 18th century.
(Option C says "leaching was well-established as early as 18th century").

Option E - incorrect.
"Leaching had been a method of mineral extraction" - Usage of "had been" is not required.

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Register for the Free GMAT Video Training Course : https://crackverbal.com/MBA-Through-GMAT-2019-Registration

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 23:38
please tell me why we eliminated a and b and e and why we went with was form?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 03:58
n22 wrote:
please tell me why we eliminated a and b and e and why we went with was form?

(A) as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
verb is missing , therefore Incorrect

(B) as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
verb is missing , therefore Incorrect

(C) was a well-established method of mineral extraction
No error

(D) was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
Illogical meaning . that is modifying mineral.

(E) had been a method of mineral extraction, well established
what is well established is modifying here ( noun modifier should be placed as close as possible to noun it is modifying) . There is no need to use past perfect as the temporal relationship is explicitly indicated and no separate emphasis is required.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 21:53
Here is the sentence structure of this sentence:
Clause 1: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals,
Clause 2: it was well established as early as the eighteenth century,
Clause 3: but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize
Clause 4: that bacteria took an active part in the process.

Clause 1 does not have any verb. The subject “leaching” does not have any verb. Thus this sentence is a fragment. In addition, clause 2 is not connected appropriately to clause 1. It should be connected using a ; or ,FANBOYS.

Process of Elimination :-

Choice A - 'leaching and it' makes it an error of double subjecting with a single verb
Choice B – Fragment Error: This choice changes clause 2 into a modifier. But it does not address the absence of verb for the subject “leaching”.
Choice C – No errors.
Choice D – Modifier error: The sentence implies that well-established method of mineral extraction was as early as 18th century. This is non-sensical – saying that a method was as early as 18th century. It would have made sense if this said that the method existed as early as 18th century. This error may be construed as SV-Make sense error – the subject – “well established method” does not make sense with the verb – “was”.
Choice E – Verb error: This choice states uses past perfect tense for the verb – had been. This changes the intended meaning of the sentence. This sentence now implies that leaching is no longer a method of mineral extraction. In the light of this information, what follows does not make sense. Since this is no longer a method of mineral extraction, the fact miners realized its working 25 years back becomes invalid. Thus, because this sentences uses past perfect tense as shown, it distorts the intended meaning of the sentence.
Thus, the correct answer is Choice C.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 10:29

(A) as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established - Leaching and it - 2 subjects and one verb
(B) as a method of the extraction of minerals well established - missing verb
(C) was a well-established method of mineral extraction - Correct
(D) was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was - illogical - leaching was not as early as the eighteenth century
(E) had been a method of mineral extraction, well established - tense issue - if the past perfect is used to describe a state or description of something (as opposed to an action verb), it should generally be used to describe a state/description that is no longer the case. since leaching is presumably still an extraction method (this is not the sort of thing that is subject to change), the past perfect is inappropriate.

Also, the modifier (starting with "well established") shouldn't be a nonessential modifier, i.e., it shouldn't be set off by commas.

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 08:45
nocilis wrote:

look at choice B
establish need a object and can not stand without object. it is intransitive verb.

that is why choice B is wrong.

am i correct ?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V29

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 21:16
Dear sir , will this be a correct sentence ?

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, is a well established method of the extraction of minerals as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.
SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 04:53
Hello Bunuel

Kindly underline the question... Thanks

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 06:00
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 06:45
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established (fragment)

Hitting Kudos is the best way of appreciation. :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as &nbs [#permalink] 28 Oct 2018, 06:45

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap