It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 180

Kudos [?]: 126 [6], given: 0

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 04:55
6
This post received
KUDOS
15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:45) correct 34% (01:00) wrong based on 434 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.

(A) as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
(B) as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
(C) was a well-established method of mineral extraction
(D) was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
(E) had been a method of mineral extraction, well established

Source : GMATPREP Default Exam Pack
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Vyshak on 28 Jun 2017, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Changed OA to reflect the correct answer

Kudos [?]: 126 [6], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 293

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 0

Location: Russia, Moscow
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 05:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
12345678 wrote:
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.


A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established


Good explanation by Paul:
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t13664?&h ... t=leaching

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 180

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 05:16
Vlad77 wrote:
12345678 wrote:
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.


A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established


Good explanation by Paul:
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t13664?&h ... t=leaching


i chose E..cuz in dis sentence 2 actions in d past r being compared so gramatically 'had been' shud b used n moreover as paul explained 'well established' clearly modifies 'method' n not 'mineral extraction'

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 293

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 0

Location: Russia, Moscow
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 05:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
12345678 wrote:
Vlad77 wrote:
12345678 wrote:
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.


A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established


Good explanation by Paul:
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t13664?&h ... t=leaching


i chose E..cuz in dis sentence 2 actions in d past r being compared so gramatically 'had been' shud b used n moreover as paul explained 'well established' clearly modifies 'method' n not 'mineral extraction'


But in E, "well established" modifies "extraction" =>so out

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2554

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 0

Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 23:10
Man had down to E or C. I chose C b/c shorter and I couldn't find anything wrong with it.


Thx for post vlad.

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5036

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 0

Location: Singapore
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2007, 23:56
We need 'was' -> C and D left.
D is lengthy and awkward

C is best.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 180

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2007, 00:32
ywilfred wrote:
We need 'was' -> C and D left.
D is lengthy and awkward

C is best.


y cant v use 'had been' since 2 actions in d past r talked about..'as early as eighteenth century' and 'until about 25yrs ago'

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5036

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 0

Location: Singapore
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2007, 00:41
12345678 wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
We need 'was' -> C and D left.
D is lengthy and awkward

C is best.


y cant v use 'had been' since 2 actions in d past r talked about..'as early as eighteenth century' and 'until about 25yrs ago'


In this case, we are not trying to emphasize an earlier action in a a past event.

Hence, the simple past will do the job.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 154

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2007, 09:50
Had Been is incorrect because I think the old process is still active....it is that now a new process has been discovered. The old process is still valid but not completely discontinued.

I would go with "C"

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 113

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 06:52
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteen century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.

A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established
_________________

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3


Last edited by LucyDang on 18 Jul 2014, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 105

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 07:02
kindly underline the question for it becomes very difficult to find the underlined portion !!
i feel the answer to this must be C : was a well-established method of mineral extraction

faults :

A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established----->this is not even a sentence .the first portion is lacking a verb .plus the joining by comma is plain wrong !!
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established--------->same problem as above
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction------------->correct
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was---->intended meaning is wrong
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established --------->"had been" is wrong here plus comma +well established is wrong

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 113

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 07:34
aditya8062 wrote:
kindly underline the question for it becomes very difficult to find the underlined portion !!
i feel the answer to this must be C : was a well-established method of mineral extraction

faults :

A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established----->this is not even a sentence .the first portion is lacking a verb .plus the joining by comma is plain wrong !!
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established--------->same problem as above
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction------------->correct
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was---->intended meaning is wrong
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established --------->"had been" is wrong here plus comma +well established is wrong


Hi Aditya8062, your suggestion is well taken! I underlined the portion :o

Let's forget about the answer choices, just focusing on analyzing the sentence error first. My thought is that the sentence structure is "Leaching (subject of the sentence), Modifier 1, Modifier 2, clause." It's awful to use structure "Leaching, Modifier 1, Modifier 2", right? normally, we will use only 1 modifier after the subject, is that true? Thus, to make the sentence correct, we should change the sentence structure to something like this "Leaching, modifier, + verb". This structure fits the option C.

How do you think of my progress to answer this question?
_________________

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 105

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 07:43
Quote:
My thought is the sentence structure is "Leaching (subject of the sentence), Modifier 1, Modifier 2, clause." It's awful to use structure "Leaching, Modifier 1, Modifier 2", right? normally,


AND

Quote:
we will use only 1 modifier after the subject, is that true?


see ur contradicting ur self !! (i have shown in bold )
the fact is that u r right that such a construction is awkward but to rule out such construction as outright wrong is not prudent !! 90 % of the time such constructions are wrong but then u might get those 10 percent sentence where such construction are right

here it is wrong because of the following thing that's happening --->subject, modifier, modifier,subject --->now this is not right . all i am contending is that i have seen correct GMAC sentence where following construction is there--->subject,modifier, modifier, verb

does it help?

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 831

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 07:45
Quote:
we should change the sentence structure to something like this "Leaching, modifier, + verb". This structure fits the option C.


u r correct here !!

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 61

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10119

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2014, 06:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10119

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 03:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Aug 2015
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 219

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ISB '18, SPJ GMBA '17
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 21:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
12345678 wrote:
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.


A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established



Refer the below site to understand the usage of 'had been':

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pas ... nuous.html

IMO:

When we use had been in this sentence it would mean L is a method established in the past and not in use anymore. But the sentence is not trying to make that meaning.

Thanks,
A :)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 219

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Jan 2016
Posts: 137

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 59

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 09:45
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.

A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established

Last edited by broall on 20 May 2017, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 59

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 May 2016
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

Location: Nigeria
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V25
GPA: 3.52
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 16:02
Would really appreciate an explanation for this. I choose E. WaterFlowsUp Abhishek009

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Aug 2016
Posts: 28

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 75

Schools: ISB '18
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 20:40
Why it's not A.. You can't say well established method to extract minerals as early as 18th century.

It should be Well established as early as 18th century. Anyone can clarify?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 75

Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2017, 20:40

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 33 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.