GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 21:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.69
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests
Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 01:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (00:47) correct 69% (00:46) wrong based on 449 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of working engineers in India, like that of fresh undergraduates.

A. like that of fresh undergraduates
B. as that for fresh undergraduates
C. just as fresh undergraduates did
D. as have fresh undergraduates
E. as it was of fresh undergraduates

Hit Kudos if you like.

Open to Discussion

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 07:46
GURUCHANAKYA wrote:
Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of working engineers in India, like that of fresh undergraduates.

Correct Answer must be (E) for the highlighted errors in other options...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Director
Director
P
Premium Member
Re: Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 09:29

E. as it was of fresh undergraduates[/quote]

Rewriting the correct sentence, we can see only E fits correctly.

Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of working engineers in India, as it was of fresh undergraduates

Answer E.

Thanks,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 10:38
I'm still not convinced fully with the explanation posited above. Experts, please shed some light.

Good things are going to happen. Keep fighting for what you want. Don't worry and have faith that it'll all work out!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 01:44
It is between B and E.

Isn't 'it' in option E ambiguous?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 20:57
GURUCHANAKYA wrote:

Here, "leaving India....to US" is the subject. Hence, when you compare it, you follow parallelism rules and ensure that the subject of the compared clause is parallel to the subject mentioned above. Only in option "E" this is followed. Hence it is the correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 21:02
Could not understand why E is correct?

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 21:09
cristianosubo wrote:
GURUCHANAKYA wrote:

Here, "leaving India....to US" is the subject. Hence, when you compare it, you follow parallelism rules and ensure that the subject of the compared clause is parallel to the subject mentioned above. Only in option "E" this is followed. Hence it is the correct answer.

In B , that also represents the subject but then for is not correct . it should be of.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 04:19
I truly understand why E is correct. However, I don't understand the use of past tense "was" shouldn't it be "is"? The fresh undergrads still go to the US they did not stop. Is it a typing error?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 09:55
Please correct me if my reasoning is wrong for choosing E.

Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of working engineers in India - We have a singular verb here
So we can consider "Leaving India and going to USA " like a process. in E , "it" refers to this process.

In this sentence, we are trying to connect 2 IC with a conjuction. So we need a subject and a verb for second clause.
So if i modify the given sentence as
Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of working engineers in India, as it (subject) was (verb) of fresh undergraduates -
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 17:14
You mean if something that could be wrong is given in non-underlined portion of sentence, I should consider it correct and proceed accordingly.
Leaving India and going to USA is

guptakashish02 wrote:
Please correct me if my reasoning is wrong for choosing E.
Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of working engineers in India - We have a singular verb here
So we can consider "Leaving India and going to USA " like a process. in E , "it" refers to t
his process.

In this sentence, we are trying to connect 2 IC with a conjuction. So we need a subject and a verb for second clause.
So if i modify the given sentence as
Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of working engineers in India, as it (subject) was (verb) of fresh undergraduates -
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 18:45
Option E says ,it was priority for fresh undergraduates now something else, which does not make sense.

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 19:26
Like everyone else here
I have narrowed my choices down to B and E
And select B which is wrong

Because one thing is missed

Here in the sentence , intention is to compare current priority with some priority in past
So taking this into consideration
E fits best , B does not highlight this thing

Give kudos if it helps

Give kudos if you like the post

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 23:25
This rewrite is fun, but it introduces some meaning troubles that are not in the original. Give the official version a try: https://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to ... 07775.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 19:28
Please do not waste your time on this question.
This is an absurd question.

Why?
1. You cannot make assumptions while choosing the right answer
2. To try to sound "grammatical" you cannot state your own opinion as it is so in option E.
3. The original meaning says that the priority IS similar to that of fresh graduates. In option E , the past perfect is incorrect. And fresh graduates are not a thing of past and we cannot assume that the priority has changed.

Please stop posting such questions.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of &nbs [#permalink] 12 Oct 2018, 19:28

Leaving India and going to USA is still a priority of a majority of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap