GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Jun 2019, 22:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 10:06
(A) Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its core, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting

(B) Like any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted, then it expands into a red giant and eventually ejects

(C) As in the case of any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted, it will expand into a red giant, and eventually ejecting

(D) As any star of similar mass would, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted it will expand into a red giant and will eventually eject

(E) As would be the case with any star of similar mass, once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject

E it is
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 10:19
gmatprep2o16 wrote:
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its core, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting its outer envelope of gases to become a white dwarf.
Like is followed by nouns. Eliminate A

B. Like any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted, then it expands into a red giant and eventually ejects "the sun" should follow "mass"

C. As in the case of any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted, it will expand into a red giant, and eventually ejecting
D. As any star of similar mass would, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted it will expand into a red giant and will eventually eject
E. As would be the case with any star of similar mass, once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject

Hi,

I have a doubt regarding the answer e. if it stands for the sun then should it not be "ejects " ?singular verb for singular noun

Hi! There,

Let me try addressing your query by taking few examples:-

He will go to the school. (Notice that it is not 'goes', and it wouldn't even be right to say that way)

Similarly, in the given sentence- It (Sun) will expand is right.

Meaning of the sentence is that once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject its outer envelope of gases to become a white dwarf. Every star of similar masses does the same.

We are comparing the process and hence require 'as' instead of 'like'. A and B are out.

Other options are wrong for below reasons:-

C. As in the case of any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted, it will expand into a red giant, and eventually ejecting . 'It' is refering to what?

D. As any star of similar mass would, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted it will expand into a red giant and will eventually eject. 'it' refers to 'sun's' and that is not right.

E. As would be the case with any star of similar mass, once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject. correct choice

Hope it is helpful.

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 04:34
Quote:
(E) As would be the case with any star of similar mass, once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject
first part of the sentence - for me suspicious, it is not clear what is compared.

I agree. At first glance, it seemed very suspicious: A. too wordy; B. "any star of similar mass," as stated in (D), sounds more proper if we compare "the sun" and "other stars." My analysis is that "the case" is actually describing the whole process: the star, or the sun, exhausts the hydrogen in its core, and then expand, and eventually eject its outer envelope of gases. So, the writer is saying "the sun's case" and "the star's case" are the same process.

Does anyone have an idea?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 06:46
grimbergen wrote:
Quote:
first part of the sentence - for me suspicious, it is not clear what is compared.

I agree. At first glance, it seemed very suspicious: A. too wordy; B. "any star of similar mass," as stated in (D), sounds more proper if we compare "the sun" and "other stars." My analysis is that "the case" is actually describing the whole process: the star, or the sun, exhausts the hydrogen in its core, and then expand, and eventually eject its outer envelope of gases. So, the writer is saying "the sun's case" and "the star's case" are the same process.

Does anyone have an idea?

I think your reasoning is correct. Or you can go the other way. A and B are wrong since "like" is not used to compare clauses. In C and D wrong comparison - "stars" and "hydrogen". Hence only E is left
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 10:07
None pointed out that in choice D, there should be comma after exhausted before we even check antecedent for it. "is exhausted it" is a run on sentence.
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 02:08
Navinder wrote:
None pointed out that in choice D, there should be comma after exhausted before we even check antecedent for it. "is exhausted it" is a run on sentence.

Yeah, that is another reason D could be rejected. Even, I rejected D because of the same reason.
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 01:49
[quote="eybrj2"]77. Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its store, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting its outer envelope of gases to become a white dwarf.

A. Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its store, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting
B. Like any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted, then it expands into a red giant and eventually ejects
C. As in the case of any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted, it will expand into a red giant, and eventually ejecting
D. As any star of similar mass would, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted it will expand into a red giant and will eventually eject
E. As would be the case with any star of similar mass, once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject

"as the case with+noun is" is a idiom expression we have to know.
as the case with you is, I have to learn gmat soon
is correct sentence. the above expression give us a chance to make comparision easy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 08:42
souvik101990 wrote:
Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its core, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting its outer envelope of gases to become a white dwarf.

(A) Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its core, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting

(B) Like any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted, then it expands into a red giant and eventually ejects

(C) As in the case of any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted, it will expand into a red giant, and eventually ejecting

(D) As any star of similar mass would, once the hydrogen in the Sun's core is exhausted it will expand into a red giant and will eventually eject

Quote:

We are comparing to clauses so we need to use 'as', so A and B are OUT!

Quote:

'it' has no referent as Sun's is a possessive noun, and we can use the possessive pronoun 'its' here, but the Sun's core will not expand into a red giant, the sun will. Plus it seems to be comparing a star to hydrogen. So these 2 options are OUT.

Quote:

Only option left, and the right answer.
Sun is compared to the star. 'its' refers back to 'the sun'

So E is the answer.
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 10:30
akshayk wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

'it' has no referent as Sun's is a possessive noun, and we can use the possessive pronoun 'its' here, but the Sun's core will not expand into a red giant, the sun will. Plus it seems to be comparing a star to hydrogen. So these 2 options are OUT.

Quote:

Only option left, and the right answer.
Sun is compared to the star. 'its' refers back to 'the sun'

So E is the answer.

Hello akshayk,

Great analysis I must say. It's very thorough and detailed. Keep up the good work. :)

I would just like to add my two cents to the analysis of Choice A and B.

akshayk wrote:
Quote:

It is not that since the sentence intends to compare two clauses, usage of like stands incorrect in this sentence. The same comparison can be presented using like as well. But that's later.

Let's first discuss why Choice A is incorrect. Choice A is incorrect because like has been followed by a clause any star of similar mass would do. This usage is incorrect because like, while presenting comparison, cannot be followed by a clause.

Choice B is incorrect because it presents illogical comparison because per this choice, any star has been illogically compared to the hydrogen in the Sun.

The intended comparison can be written using like as follows:

Like any star of similar mass, once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject its outer envelope of gases to become a white dwarf.

For more details and official examples on the Usage of Like Vs. As, you can review the article named As Vs Like: Correct and Incorrect usages in the following link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-vs-like-correct-and-incorrect-usages-133950.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 04:02
This question confused me a little. If I am not wrong, this is comparison. For comparison, isn't 'AS' wrong?
I always thought 'Like' is the right term for comparison.

Can someone please clarify this doubt ?
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 04:21
pra1785 wrote:
This question confused me a little. If I am not wrong, this is comparison. For comparison, isn't 'AS' wrong?

Hi pra1785 ,

As is also used for comparisons.

The difference between using the two is "Like" should be followed by a noun whereas "as" should be followed by a clause to make comparisons.
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 04:45
pra1785 wrote:

Hi pra1785, indeed both as and like are used for comparisons. For example, both the following sentences would be correct:

Peter designed the flapping-wing ornithopter that could fly like birds.

Peter designed the flapping-wing ornithopter that could fly as birds do.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses like Vs As, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 02:36
A. Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its store, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting- Like is incorrect usage since actions are being compared
B. Like any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted, then it expands into a red giant and eventually ejects- Like is incorrect usage since actions are being compared
C. As in the case of any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted, it will expand into a red giant, and eventually ejecting- Antecedent of 'it' is not clear, sun or sun's core
D. As any star of similar mass would, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted it will expand into a red giant and will eventually eject- Antecedent of 'it' is not clear, sun or sun's core
E. As would be the case with any star of similar mass, once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject- correct..As is correct...it signifying the Sun
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 02:42
Hi

I am little confuse here on subject verb agreement, If any body can help that would be great.

In Option D-
D. As any star of similar mass would, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted it will expand into a red giant and will eventually eject

Somewhere it is written that It is pointing to Sun's core but I think it should point to Hydrogen, because hydrogen is subject here. (I know meaning will be absurd but am going through some grammar)

In option E

I have confusion about the antecedent of It, Does it not Referring to Core , because here in this option i think that the antecedent is ambiguous

Am I missing something ? or It only refer to subject of the previous sentence if two sentence are separated by comma.
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 14:12
Top Contributor
As far as I know, the protocol for the reference of a pronoun to its eligible noun will be in this order.
1. The pronoun will have the first right to refer to the subject noun,
e.g The Sun is the largest of the Solar system and all planets rotate around it.

2. it may also refer to an object noun with or without essential preposition phrases
e.g Tom ate a mango and it happened to be sweet.

3. There are instances in GMAT when a pronoun has referred to a noun in the prepositional phrase
e.g It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praises for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

However, what counts in essence is the logic of the context.
Let's dissect the case of E.
Quote:

Now 'it' certainly points to the Sun as per the first protocol. it may not refer to the hydrogen because it will be an illogical reference as a spent and exhausted material cannot expand. Nor would 'it' refer to the core since if you replace 'it' with the core, then you have to replace also 'its' with core's, implying as 'core's core'. That would be still more illogical.
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 21:48
Why is 'like any star' incorrect here? How can I tell if like is followed by a verb or noun here? Like (any star) looks like a noun.
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 06:29
mrdlee23 wrote:
Why is 'like any star' incorrect here? How can I tell if like is followed by a verb or noun here? Like (any star) looks like a noun.

Hey mrdlee23 ,

The general rule is "Like Noun/Pronoun, Noun Pronoun + Verb".

Like can never be followed by a clause. Remember the definition of clause? --> Subject+ Verb.

Now, in this sentence,

Subject is Any Star
Verb is would do.

Therefore, we have a clause after like. This is NOT allowed. Hence, option A is incorrect.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 06:41
eybrj2 wrote:
77. Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its store, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting its outer envelope of gases to become a white dwarf.

A. Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the hydrogen in its store, it expands into a red giant, eventually ejecting - Incorrect. Like X, Y usage issue.

B. Like any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted, then it expands into a red giant and eventually ejects - Incorrect. Like X, Y usage issue.

C. As in the case of any star of similar mass, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted, it will expand into a red giant, and eventually ejecting - Incorrect. "it" referent issue. "it" cannot refer to "Sun's" because it's possessive + referring to either "Sun's" or "Hydrogen" leads to referent issue. +meaning issue "once the hydrogen ..... is exhausted"

D. As any star of similar mass would, once the hydrogen in the Sun’s core is exhausted it will expand into a red giant and will eventually eject - Incorrect. "it" referent issue. "it" cannot refer to "Sun's" because it's possessive + referring to either "Sun's" or "Hydrogen" leads to referent issue. +meaning issue "once the hydrogen ..... is exhausted"

E. As would be the case with any star of similar mass, once the Sun exhausts the hydrogen in its core, it will expand into a red giant and eventually eject - Correct, "its" & "it" referents are clear. Sentence meaning is retained and its clear.

Answer: (E).
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 05:23
daagh GMATninja2 @abhimanha hazelnut mikemcgarry broall generis Vyshak
I have a doubt
any star is compared to the sun's core
any is adj the sun's adj
star is noun core is noun
What's wrong in this
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 07:39
Top Contributor
Teaserbae

Quote:
I have a doubt
any star is compared to the sun's core
any is adj the sun's adj
star is noun core is noun
What's wrong in this
Quote:

It is not clear which part of the question or the choice you are referring to. Nevertheless If any star is compared to the Star's core, then it is utterly wrong. A core is only the molten inner most part of the celestial body. There are more layers in a star including the Sun. Just because adjectives precede the words, the words themselves do not turn parallel and comparable
Re: Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 07:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

Like any star of similar mass would do, once the Sun has exhausted the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics