GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The North American moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The North American moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 20:56
egmat wrote:
SidJainGMAT wrote:
Hi Verbal Experts (CrackVerbalGMAT/eGmat/GmatNinja/mikemcgarry),

Have a query in option D?
Option D also has a ,+V-ing Modifiew "enabling it ..". That would refer to the subject moose as per the current structure of the sentence. But, I guess as per the meaning of the sentence, it should refer to legs. Hence, I feel the comma before the V-ing modifier must be removed to fix this so that then it will refer to legs.

Is this understanding correct? Please let me know later.

Thanks in advance!

Hello SidJainGMAT,

Yes, your analysis is absolutely correct. The moose does not enable itself to move quickly through the woods. It his longs legs that do so. Hence, use of comma + enabling is incorrect in Choice D.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Yes I got it. Thanks a lot for clarifying the same! :)
e-GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The North American moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 04:19
The North American moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through the woods, stepping easily over downed trees, but predators pursuing it must leap or go around them.

(A) moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through the woods, stepping easily over downed trees, but predators pursuing it must leap or go around them - Verb+ing modifier stepping is incorrectly modifying moose's long legs . Also them is incorrectly referring to mlong moose's long legs

(B) moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through the woods, stepping easily over downed trees while predators pursuing them must leap or go around - Same as A

(C) moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through the woods and to step easily over downed trees, but predators pursuing them must leap over or go around them - Here them is referring to moose's long legs instead of moose itself hence incorrect

(D) moose has long legs, enabling it to move quickly through the woods and to stop easily over downed trees while predators pursuing them must leap or go around - Here them has no logical antecedent

(E) moose has long legs that enable it to move quickly through the woods, stepping easily over downed trees while predators pursuing it must leap over or go around them - CORRECT as it is referring correctly to North American Moose and not the long legs and them is referring to woods

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 12:26
SidJainGMAT wrote:
Hi Verbal Experts (CrackVerbalGMAT/eGmat/GmatNinja/mikemcgarry),

Have a query in option D?
Option D also has a ,+V-ing Modifiew "enabling it ..". That would refer to the subject moose as per the current structure of the sentence. But, I guess as per the meaning of the sentence, it should refer to legs. Hence, I feel the comma before the V-ing modifier must be removed to fix this so that then it will refer to legs.

Is this understanding correct? Please let me know later.

Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, the comma before the V-ing modifier is correct, because "enabling" expresses the result of the main clause. According to MANHATTAN, The -ing form can modify an entire clause as above, as long as the entire clause converted into a noun phrase could function as the subject of the verb that is now in -ing form.

"The long legs of moose enable moose(which "it" refers to) to move quickly ... and to step easily ..."

The problem of option D is that "them" can not refer to "moose".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The North American moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through &nbs [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 12:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

The North American moose's long legs enable it to move quickly through

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap