It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GPA, high GMAT. Would Oxford consider me?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Cambridge Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Low GPA, high GMAT. Would Oxford consider me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 16:18
Hi guys,

I'm a hopeful Oxford applicant and am looking to apply in Round 1 this September. I'm curious about how the adcomms feel about applicants who have a low undergrad. GPA (in my case, 3.0 in Electrical Engineering from a school in Canada), but a GMAT above the school average (700 in my case)?

My larger goal from an MBA is to move towards management in the renewable Energy industry. I'm from Newfoundland in Canada, where wind energy development is expected to explode a few years from now and I want to get into the industry in a management capacity. Since wind development is a much larger industry in Europe (and most of the large players in the field are from Europe), I feel like doing an MBA overseas would be a very good move for my career. From an academic perspective, is this feasible?

Last edited by Solarus on 09 Sep 2015, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Re: Low GPA, high GMAT. Would Oxford consider me? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 18:15
Hey Solarus,
I believe you can probably give it a shot as long as you have solid career track record that can indicate your effort towards your aspiration. (plus else in the application package such as essays, interview etc.) Oxford does consider students with GPA below 3.5 every year should the admission believe you got the potential. My two cents, hope that helps.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Cambridge Thread Master

Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 18:27
Thanks for the reply mrlittleleo. I've seen a few wonder stories of people with very low GPAs getting in before, I just wasn't sure how commonplace it is. From a purely academic standpoint, I'm not sure what would be considered "balanced" on the sliding scale of GPA vs GMAT. I have an extremely heavy upswing in grades during my senior year (3.7 GPA during senior year), but I had an abysmal first couple of years in university. I do think that I can work the upward trend into my story (since that is actually what happened), so I'm hoping this can temper the blow somewhat.

thanks again :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GRE 1: 320 Q159 V161
GPA: 3.49
WE: Sales (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 06:34
Hey Solarus,

I had a GPA of ~3.3 from a middling US school and a GRE of 160/160 (80% percentiles) and 5+ yrs of work experience for a blue-chip firm and was able to get in. I saw go for it and come join us!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
B

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 05:24
b-school admission is more than just GPA and GMAT. It is more about telling a compiling story about your career progression, and aligning that with your career goal and school choice. Your career goal and it's alignment with why MBA is Europe makes a lot of sense. I would recommend thinking about the "why Oxford" part.

BTW, I think your GMAT more than offset your GPA. I remember in my application year (2010), one guy got in Oxford and INSEAD with 2.9 GPA and wrote a forum recap on his experience. You can try to search for it.

P.S. If you are not 100% set on Oxford yet, you should also looking schools with dual degree in the US like Fuqua, Yale, and Ross. Those are considered the 3 Trinity schools for MBA and energy/environment. Students places very well into renewable energy.

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 18:00
Agree with the encouraging advices above, your higher than average GMAT will help address potential concerns on your academic potential. The upward trend of your GPA would also help show how you have matured. These would show your readiness to benefit from and contribute to your peers and the MBA program.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Re: Low GPA, high GMAT. Would Oxford consider me?   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2016, 18:00

Low GPA, high GMAT. Would Oxford consider me?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aerien, BrushMyQuant

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap