GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

     January 21, 2019

     January 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

M11-03

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52344
M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:43
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

80% (01:27) correct 20% (02:42) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a passenger sitting near the window in a train moving at 40 kmh noticed that it took 3 seconds for the oncoming train to pass by, what was the speed of the oncoming train if the length of the oncoming train was 75 meters?

A. 50 kmh
B. 52 kmh
C. 56 kmh
D. 60 kmh
E. 70 kmh

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52344
Re M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:43
1
2
Official Solution:

If a passenger sitting near the window in a train moving at 40 kmh noticed that it took 3 seconds for the oncoming train to pass by, what was the speed of the oncoming train if the length of the oncoming train was 75 meters?

A. 50 kmh
B. 52 kmh
C. 56 kmh
D. 60 kmh
E. 70 kmh

Denote the speed of the oncoming train as \(V\). Then its speed relative to the passenger is \(V + 40\). 75 meters in 3 seconds is the same as 25 meters in 1 second or 90 kmh. Thus, \(V + 40 = 90\) and \(V = 50\) kmh.

Answer: A
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 498
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2015, 11:18
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If a passenger sitting near the window in a train moving at 40 kmh noticed that it took 3 seconds for the oncoming train to pass by, what was the speed of the oncoming train if the length of the oncoming train was 75 meters?

A. 50 kmh
B. 52 kmh
C. 56 kmh
D. 60 kmh
E. 70 kmh

Denote the speed of the oncoming train as \(V\). Then its speed relative to the passenger is \(V + 40\). 75 meters in 3 seconds is the same as 25 meters in 1 second or 90 kmh. Thus, \(V + 40 = 90\) and \(V = 50\) kmh.

Answer: A


"Then its speed relative to the passenger is \(V + 40\)." ----> Could not understand it. Would you please clarify this a little bit.

_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52344
Re: M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 02:29
Mahmud6 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If a passenger sitting near the window in a train moving at 40 kmh noticed that it took 3 seconds for the oncoming train to pass by, what was the speed of the oncoming train if the length of the oncoming train was 75 meters?

A. 50 kmh
B. 52 kmh
C. 56 kmh
D. 60 kmh
E. 70 kmh

Denote the speed of the oncoming train as \(V\). Then its speed relative to the passenger is \(V + 40\). 75 meters in 3 seconds is the same as 25 meters in 1 second or 90 kmh. Thus, \(V + 40 = 90\) and \(V = 50\) kmh.

Answer: A


"Then its speed relative to the passenger is \(V + 40\)." ----> Could not understand it. Would you please clarify this a little bit.


This is the concept of Relative Speed.

When two objects (speeds V1 and V2) move in opposite directions (towards each other or away from each other), they cover the distance between them (or create distance between them) at the rate of (V1 + V2).

When two objects move in same direction, their speeds get subtracted.

Theory on Distance/Rate Problems: distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

All DS Distance/Rate Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=44
All PS Distance/Rate Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=64

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 498
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 08:36
Bunuel wrote:
Mahmud6 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If a passenger sitting near the window in a train moving at 40 kmh noticed that it took 3 seconds for the oncoming train to pass by, what was the speed of the oncoming train if the length of the oncoming train was 75 meters?

A. 50 kmh
B. 52 kmh
C. 56 kmh
D. 60 kmh
E. 70 kmh

Denote the speed of the oncoming train as \(V\). Then its speed relative to the passenger is \(V + 40\). 75 meters in 3 seconds is the same as 25 meters in 1 second or 90 kmh. Thus, \(V + 40 = 90\) and \(V = 50\) kmh.

Answer: A


"Then its speed relative to the passenger is \(V + 40\)." ----> Could not understand it. Would you please clarify this a little bit.


This is the concept of Relative Speed.

When two objects (speeds V1 and V2) move in opposite directions (towards each other or away from each other), they cover the distance between them (or create distance between them) at the rate of (V1 + V2).

When two objects move in same direction, their speeds get subtracted.

Theory on Distance/Rate Problems: distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

All DS Distance/Rate Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=44
All PS Distance/Rate Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=64


Hi Bunuel,

Thanks a million to reply. I understood the concept of relative speed. However, I have a query.
Why '75 meters in 3 seconds'? Why not '75 meters plus passenger's train length in 3 seconds'?

_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52344
Re: M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 08:40
1
Mahmud6 wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks a million to reply. I understood the concept of relative speed. However, I have a query.
Why '75 meters in 3 seconds'? Why not '75 meters plus passenger's train length in 3 seconds'?


It took 3 seconds for the oncoming train to pass by the passenger, not the entire train he was in.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Re: M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 14:49
"75 meters in 3 seconds is the same as 25 meters in 1 second or 90 kmh" How is the 90 kmh derived from this?
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17136
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2015, 15:02
LostinNY wrote:
"75 meters in 3 seconds is the same as 25 meters in 1 second or 90 kmh" How is the 90 kmh derived from this?


I would guess 3600*25 (3600 seconds in one hour). Alternatively if you know the shortcut (which you definitely do not need to know for the GMAT), 10 m/s equals to 36km/h, so 25m/s = 36*2.5=90
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 384
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 05:06
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 384
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 05:12
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Your explanation is short and superb. However, i equated the distance covered by two trains during the 3 second like:

40 * (3/3600) = x + 75/1000

where 40 is the speed of the passenger's train, 3/3600 is time 3 seconds in hours , x is the distance travelled in these 3 seconds and 75 meters expressed in KM. I got x = 1/24 KM. Speed of oncoming train = Distance / Time = (1/24) / (3/3600) which gave me 50KM/Hr. Is this approach correct?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Mar 2018
Posts: 2
CAT Tests
Re: M11-03  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 10:03
I still did not get this part:

V+40=90V

WHY IS IT SO?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M11-03 &nbs [#permalink] 30 Dec 2018, 10:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M11-03

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.