It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M16-08

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
M16-08 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:58
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:15) correct 59% (01:20) wrong based on 85 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If it took a bus 4 hours to get from town \(A\) to town \(B\), what was the average speed of the bus for the trip?

(1) In the first 2 hours the bus covered 100 miles.

(2) The average speed of the bus for the first half of the distance was twice its average speed for the second half.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re M16-08 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:58
Official Solution:

Statement (1) by itself is insufficient. The bus could have gone slowly or fast during the last 2 hours of the journey.

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. We know nothing about the value of the bus's speed for either first or second half.

Statements (1) and (2) combined are insufficient. S2 tells us that the bus spent \(\frac{4}{3}\) hours on the first half of the distance and \(\frac{8}{3}\) hours on the second half. To answer the question, we have to know the distance between \(A\) and \(B\). Whatever the distance between \(A\) and \(B\)(as long as it's not too big or too small), the bus could spend \(\frac{4}{3}\) hours on the first half, then adjust its speed to arrive at 100 mile mark after 2 hours of the journey, and then adjust again to finish the rest of the distance in 2 hours.

Answer: E

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M16-08 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2015, 20:10
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Statement (1) by itself is insufficient. The bus could have gone slowly or fast during the last 2 hours of the journey.

Statement (2) by itself is insufficient. We know nothing about the value of the bus's speed for either first or second half.

Statements (1) and (2) combined are insufficient. S2 tells us that the bus spent \(\frac{4}{3}\) hours on the first half of the distance and \(\frac{8}{3}\) hours on the second half. To answer the question, we have to know the distance between \(A\) and \(B\). Whatever the distance between \(A\) and \(B\)(as long as it's not too big or too small), the bus could spend \(\frac{4}{3}\) hours on the first half, then adjust its speed to arrive at 100 mile mark after 2 hours of the journey, and then adjust again to finish the rest of the distance in 2 hours.

Hi Bunnel,

Don't we get the speed from the statement 1 for the first half of the trip. When combining this information with statement 2, cant we get the speed for second trip. From this we can find the distance for 1st half and 2nd half. and hence can calculate average speed.

please let me know.

Thanks.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 04:07
CKG wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hi Bunnel,

Don't we get the speed from the statement 1 for the first half of the trip. When combining this information with statement 2, cant we get the speed for second trip. From this we can find the distance for 1st half and 2nd half. and hence can calculate average speed.

please let me know.

Thanks.

I think your doubt is addressed here: if-it-took-a-bus-4-hours-to-get-from-town-a-to-town-b-what-102361.html

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2015, 02:26
Dear Bunuel,

Thanks for drafting such a good question.

I have a doubt regarding explanation of statement 2.

Can we say that "the bus spent 4/3 hours on the first half of the distance and 8/3 hours on the second half". I think to draw this conclusion we must have a finite known distance.

I only able to deduce that time spent by bus is first half is 1/2 of time spend in the second half.

Please correct me if my analysis is wrong.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2016, 06:32
From statement 1: We can know the avg speed value in first half.

From statement 2: Consider the total distance as D. As per the statement, 2s is the speed of first half i.e. D/2 and s is the speed of second half . Hence avg speed of total journey is total distance/time taken, D/ ((D/2)/2s+(D/2)/s)..whose value will come in value of s (D will be cancelled). Hence, statement 2 we will get a value in variables of s.

Combing 1 and 2 statement: avg value in first half=s and value of s from statement 2 gives me the answer.

Please let me know anything wrong in this reasoning
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 08:31
Hi Bunuel,

The trick is that the 1st half of the distance doesn't mean the distance covered in 1st two hours. If the question has addressed that the bus traveled 100 KM distance in 1st half. Then it would be sufficient. Right?

Thanks,
Sathish
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 09:36
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hi Bunuel,

I pick C as the answer.

Combining two statements, I find that
• Total travel time 4 hours
• Bus travelled 2 hours to cover 100 mils. Hence, average speed is 100/2 = 50MPH
• Average speed in the next 2 (Total travel time 4 hours and travel time for the first half is 2 hours) hours = (50/2) = 25MPH
• Bus travelled next 2 hours at a speed of 25MPH. Hence, the bus covered = (2*25) = 50 miles in next 2 hours.
• Therefore, bus travelled (100+(2*25)) = 150 miles in 4 hours. So, average speed for the entire trip is (150/4) = 37.5MPH.

Please let me where I miss the trick.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 05:46
jahidhassan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hi Bunuel,

I pick C as the answer.

• Total travel time 4 hours
• Bus travelled 2 hours to cover 100 mils. Hence, average speed is 100/2 = 50MPH
• Average speed in the next 2 (Total travel time 4 hours and travel time for the first half is 2 hours) hours = (50/2) = 25MPH
• Bus travelled next 2 hours at a speed of 25MPH. Hence, the bus covered = (2*25) = 50 miles in next 2 hours.
• Therefore, bus travelled (100+(2*25)) = 150 miles in 4 hours. So, average speed for the entire trip is (150/4) = 37.5MPH.

Please let me where I miss the trick.

I think your doubt is addressed here: if-it-took-a-bus-4-hours-to-get-from-town-a-to-town-b-what-102361.html

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

VP
VP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 13:18
Statements (1) and (2) combined are insufficient. S2 tells us that the bus spent \(\frac{4}{3}\) hours on the first half of the distance and \(\frac{8}{3}\) hours on the second half.

Answer: E[/quote]

How did you arrive to number presented above? it is unclear.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 16:50
Subramonian wrote:
jahidhassan
Your point is not very clear

To me, the answer is C. Average speed of the entire trip can be found using two statements.

• Total travel time is 4 hours
• Bus traveled first 2 hours to cover 100 mils. Hence, average speed is 100/2 = 50MPH
• Average speed in the next 2 hours (Total travel time is 4 hours and travel time for the first half is 2 hours) = (50/2) = 25MPH
• Bus traveled next 2 hours at a speed of 25MPH. Hence, the bus covered = (2*25) = 50 miles in next 2 hours.
• Therefore, bus traveled (100+(2*25)) = 150 miles in 4 hours. So, average speed for the entire trip is (150/4) = 37.5MPH.

I couldn't understand how the OA is E.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
M16-08 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 06:59
My 2 cents,
Wow these gmatclub test never disappoint in making me realize how little i know and i NEED to be more thorough with my approach!!! kudos to question...

A|-----2s-----|-----s-----|B
--------d1----O----d2

Avg Speed of entire trip = D/T
= d1+d2/(t1 + t2)
= d1+d2/( d1/s1 + d2/s2 )

(1) In the first 2 hours the bus covered 100 miles.
some portion between AB is 100 miles. D > 100 but we don't know what exact value of D is. NOT SUFFICITENT

(2) The average speed of the bus for the first half of the distance was twice its average speed for the second half.
Avg s1 = d1/t1 and Avg s2 = d2/t2
d1/t1 = 2*(d2/t2);
NOTE we don't have a relationship between d1/s1 and d2/s2 BUT between d1/t1 and d2/t2. Here we don't know what are the actual values of s1,d1,t1 and s2,d2,t2. So we can't say:
s1/s2 = 2 = d1/d2 = t2/t1
we can only get
s1 = 2*s2 => d1/t1 = 2*(d2/t2) - NOT SUFFICITENT

(1 + 2): D > 100 miles D = 100+x and Avg speed = (100+x)/(d1/s1 + d2/s2). Thus E
Manager
Manager
G
M16-08 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 07:05
Question: mikemcgarry, Bunuel, Engr2012, VeritasPrepKarishma, Abhishek009, msk0657, abhimahna, Skywalker18, Vyshak
How can anyone break 4 into 4/3 and 8/3 as per 2nd statement?
What i want to ask is that what is the though process behind it because i can understand what you have done but i don't know what to do so that i can myself learn to break a integer in fraction as that in other cases. So if possible PLEASE elaborate.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 07:14
is there any other short cut to this problem ?
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
M16-08 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
manishtank1988 wrote:
What i want to ask is that what is the though process behind it because i can understand what you have done but i don't know what to do so that i can myself learn to break a integer in fraction as that in other cases. So if possible PLEASE elaborate.
Thanks

Hi,

Consider this as follows:

Statement 2 says the average speed in the 1st half(Say S1) was twice the average speed in the 2nd half(say S2)

Or S1 = 2(S2)

Now, Time taken for 1st half = Distance(d)/Speed(S1) = d/S1 = d/2(S2) -- (1)

Time taken for 2nd half = Distance(d)/Speed(S2) = d/S2 -- (2)

Total Time Taken : (1) + (2) = d/S2 (3/2) (I hope you are clear on this.)

Total Distance = 2d

Average Speed of Entire Journey = Total Distance/Total Time Taken = 2d/(d/S2) (3/2) = 4/3S2.

Since we have an unknown variable S2 in the equation, we can say B is not sufficient. We need the value of S2, which cannot be derived using A. Hence Answer is E.

We have got 4/3 as per above solution and as we know that Speed is inversely proportional to time. So, for a given distance, when speed is doubled, it means time would be half and vice versa.

Let me know in case of any confusion.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 14:02
abhimahna wrote:
manishtank1988 wrote:
Thanks

Hi,

Consider this as follows:

Statement 2 says the average speed in the 1st half(Say S1) was twice the average speed in the 2nd half(say S2)

Or S1 = 2(S2)

Now, Time taken for 1st half = Distance(d)/Speed(S1) = d/S1 = d/2(S2) -- (1)

Time taken for 2nd half = Distance(d)/Speed(S2) = d/S2 -- (2)

Total Time Taken : (1) + (2) = d/S2 (3/2) (I hope you are clear on this.)

Total Distance = 2d

Average Speed of Entire Journey = Total Distance/Total Time Taken = 2d/(d/S2) (3/2) = 4/3S2.

Since we have an unknown variable S2 in the equation, we can B is not sufficient. We need the value of S2, which cannot be derived using A even. Hence Answer is E.

We have got 4/3 as per above solution and as we know that Speed is inversely proportional to time. So, for a given distance, when speed is doubled, it means time would be half and vice versa.

Let me know in case of any confusion.

Absolutely clear, thanks a lot abhimahna
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.49
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 08:32
Guys this questions is ridiculously easy.

100 miles does NOT necessarily equal half the distance of the trip. You have no idea what the total distance is. 100 miles is an arbitrary number.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: M16-08   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2017, 08:32

M16-08

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap