It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M27-11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 124358 [0], given: 12077

M27-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:27
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:32) correct 46% (01:48) wrong based on 54 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bonnie can paint a stolen car in \(x\) hours, and Clyde can paint the same car in \(y\) hours. They start working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates at 9:45am. If both \(x\) and \(y\) are odd integers, is \(x=y\)?

(1) \(x^2+y^2 \lt 12\)

(2) Bonnie and Clyde complete the painting of the car at 10:30am
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

M27-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:27
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

Bonnie and Clyde, when working together, complete the painting of the car in \(\frac{xy}{x+y}\) hours (sum of the rates equal to the combined rate or reciprocal of total time: \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{T}\). From that we can get that \(T=\frac{xy}{x+y}\)). Now, if \(x=y\), then the total time would be: \(\frac{x^2}{2x}=\frac{x}{2}\), since \(x\) is odd, then this time would be \(\frac{odd}{2}\): 0.5 hours, 1.5 hours, 2.5 hours, ...

(1) \(x^2+y^2 \lt 12\). It's possible that \(x\) and \(y\) are odd and equal each other if \(x=y=1\), but it's also possible that \(x=1\) and \(y=3\) (or vise-versa). Not sufficient.

(2) Bonnie and Clyde complete the painting of the car at 10:30am. They complete the job in \(\frac{3}{4}\) of an hour (45 minutes), since it's not \(\frac{odd}{2}\) then \(x\) and \(y\) are not equal. Sufficient.

Answer: B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 168

Re: M27-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 12:30
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Now, if x=y, then the total time would be: \frac{x^2}{2x}=\frac{x}{2}, since x is odd, then this time would be either an integer or \frac{integer}{2}: 0.5 hours, 1 hour, 1.5 hours, ....

I don't get it: odd/2 can not be integer, so how did we get 1 hour?

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 168

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2014, 02:00
Boycot wrote:
Quote:
Now, if x=y, then the total time would be: \frac{x^2}{2x}=\frac{x}{2}, since x is odd, then this time would be either an integer or \frac{integer}{2}: 0.5 hours, 1 hour, 1.5 hours, ....

I don't get it: odd/2 can not be integer, so how did we get 1 hour?

You are right. Edited. Thank you.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 54

Concentration: Operations, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.76
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
M27-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 04:17
(1) x2+y2<12. It's possible that x and y are odd and equal each other if x=y=1, but it's also possible that x=1 and y=3 (or vise-versa). Not sufficient.
I don't get this....clearly x=y=1 is not possible since we are given that both of them took 45 minutes and if x=y=1 then, they shud have taken 30 minutes...so the only option is x=1 & y=3 (vice versa) hence, sufficient.
Bunuel ..please correct me .

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 04:26
Sumit124431 wrote:
(1) x2+y2<12. It's possible that x and y are odd and equal each other if x=y=1, but it's also possible that x=1 and y=3 (or vise-versa). Not sufficient.
I don't get this....clearly x=y=1 is not possible since we are given that both of them took 45 minutes and if x=y=1 then, they shud have taken 30 minutes...so the only option is x=1 & y=3 (vice versa) hence, sufficient.
Bunuel ..please correct me .

Sorry but where does it say that they took 45 minutes to paint the car? It says that they start working at 9:45am.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Current Student

Concentration: Operations, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.76
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 04:33
Hmm....Thanks...I mixed statement two with the question stem...:(...sorry

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 508 [0], given: 1474

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 22:50
"simultaneously" is fine but "independently" has confused me - why should we imply that they work on one and the same car but not on 2 identical cars simultaneously and independently?

the 1st para only sets the individual rates.

KUDO me plenty

Kudos [?]: 508 [0], given: 1474

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 124358 [1], given: 12077

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shasadou wrote:
"simultaneously" is fine but "independently" has confused me - why should we imply that they work on one and the same car but not on 2 identical cars simultaneously and independently?

the 1st para only sets the individual rates.

"Work simultaneously and independently" means that the they work on unique parts of the job (in this case, if one person paints the left side of the car, the other person WON'T ALSO paint the left side of the car). This is important to the math because the idea is that the entire car will be painted, but it will be done in the fastest way possible (with no duplicated work). It's the type of "legalese" that has to be included in the question, otherwise the correct answer could be debated.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Kudos [?]: 124358 [1], given: 12077

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
M27-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 03:11
Given:
1. Bonnie takes x hrs to do a job
2. Clyde takes y hrs to do the same job
3. Both start independently at the same time- 9:45am
4. x and y are odd integers

to find: x=y ?

S1: \(x^2+y^2 \lt 12\)
Since we already know that x and y are Odd integers, there's not much left to check for in the above condition and since adding two squares will very soon pass such a small number as 12, we can do the manual work here-
x=1; y=1 => Yes (both equal and sum of squares less than 12)
x=1; y=3 => No (both unequal and still the sum of squares less than 12)

Hence NS

S2: Bonnie and Clyde complete the painting of the car at 10:30am
Quite straightforward.
Basically, they started at the same time and ended at the same time. Therefore, we can certainly infer that the time they took was same- \(x=y\)
Hence S

B

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 19:31
Bunuel

It is a very good question. But, don't you think it is necessary to mention that they worked simultaneously and independently on the same car?
I understand it is important to mention that they worked independently, but it is worded in such a way that reader can interpret that they are working on two different cars which are same/identical.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 21:21
sveniga4 wrote:
Bunuel

It is a very good question. But, don't you think it is necessary to mention that they worked simultaneously and independently on the same car?
I understand it is important to mention that they worked independently, but it is worded in such a way that reader can interpret that they are working on two different cars which are same/identical.

Here's my take- Even if you infer that '...they are working on two different cars which are same/identical', it is Okay! Because the main thing that needs to be understood is that both do the same amount of work, and that they started at the same time
At least, this is what i understood from the prompt after the first read, please correct me if im wrong.

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 21:41
arhumsid wrote:
sveniga4 wrote:
Bunuel

Here's my take- Even if you infer that '...they are working on two different cars which are same/identical', it is Okay! Because the main thing that needs to be understood is that both do the same amount of work, and that they started at the same time
At least, this is what i understood from the prompt after the first read, please correct me if im wrong.

We can not conclude that they both did the same amount of work or their rate of work is equal. For example, A can paint 3/4th of the car whereas B can pain 1/4th of the car.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 21:51
sveniga4 wrote:
arhumsid wrote:
sveniga4 wrote:
Bunuel

We can not conclude that they both did the same amount of work or their rate of work is equal. For example, A can paint 3/4th of the car whereas B can pain 1/4th of the car.

Yes indeed, i was wrong. We cannot say that both did the same amount of work. That was a really bad choice of words at my end :) Thanks for correcting me.

But, can we not assume that both worked on the same/identical cars?

-Mark Twain

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 159

saurav: suman
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 03:23
Please explain in detail how b is correct

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 159

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 03:27

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 02:42
I approached the question this way:
1) clear

2)
Rate of Bonnie is 1/b, rate of Clyde 1/c. They work together at rate (b+c)/bc. And to paint a car it will take bc/(b+c) hours
as we know that they work for 3/4 hours, we can say bc/(b+c)=3/4. As we know b,c are odd integers, we can infer that b and c are 3 and 1, hence not the same

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 31

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 18:53
Perhaps another approach is via inversion: set x=y and check if question stem constraint that x and y are ODD integers holds.

(1)
Insufficient since x and y could be either same or different odd integers

(2)
T = xy/(y+x) = 3/4 hour

Let x=y=2n+1, i.e. representing an odd integer
Thus we have:

(2n+1)^2 / [2(2n+1)] = 3/4
-- cross multiply, reduce... --
16n^2 + 16n + 4 = 12n + 6
8n^2 + 2n - 1 = 0
(8n + 4)(n - 1/4) = 0
n1 = -1/2
n2 = 1/4

Plugging n1 & n2 back into x=y=2n+1 gives us x = 0 hours (invalid) or x = 1.5 hours (valid)
Therefore, if x=y, then x and y cannot both be odd integers according statement 2's parameters
(said another way, if x and y are both odd integers, then x cannot = y)
=> Sufficient

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 04:25
Explanation of part B:

Given that both completed the work in 3/4 hours, we can write it as
1/x+1/y=1/(3/4)............(A)

Lets assume x=y ...........(B)

Using (A) and (B) we get x=3/2

However, from the question stem, x is an odd integer.

Therefore, our assumtion x=y is incorrect.

Correct answer B.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 04:33
Thanks kishor! That was helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: M27-11   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2017, 04:33

M27-11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap