GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M70-27

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
M70-27  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 05:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:28) correct 33% (03:10) wrong based on 18 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The snack company Incredible Edible built a 14-meter-high statue in the shape of a lowercase “i” and filled it with peanut butter. If the dot at the top of the “i” is a cylinder with a diameter of 8 meters and a height of 6 meters, which is tangent to the cube that makes up the bottom of the “i”, how much peanut butter was needed to fill the statue?

A. \(216 + 96\pi\)
B. \(216 + 48\pi\)
C. \(216 + 36\pi\)
D. \(288 + 48\pi\)
E. \(288 + 96\pi\)

Re M70-27  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 05:06
Official Solution:

The snack company Incredible Edible built a 14-meter-high statue in the shape of a lowercase “i” and filled it with peanut butter. If the dot at the top of the “i” is a cylinder with a diameter of 8 meters and a height of 6 meters, which is tangent to the cube that makes up the bottom of the “i”, how much peanut butter was needed to fill the statue?

A. \(216 + 96\pi\)
B. \(216 + 48\pi\)
C. \(216 + 36\pi\)
D. \(288 + 48\pi\)
E. \(288 + 96\pi\)

We’ll go for PRECISE because all the numbers we need are in the question.

This question asks us about the volume of the statue, which is actually the sum of the volumes of separate shapes: a cylinder and a cube. Let’s start with the cylinder: it has a diameter of 8 meters, meaning its radius is 4 meters – so its volume is \(\pi r^2h = \pi 4^2*6 = 96\pi\). Now let’s look at the cube: its height is the height of the statue minus the diameter of the dot = \(14 – 8 = 6\). Since all its dimensions are the same, the volume of the cube is \(a^3 = 6^3 = 216\). So the total volume of the dot is \(96\pi + 216\).

Answer: A
D
Concentration: General Management
WE: Sales (Other)
Re: M70-27  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 10:19
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

The snack company Incredible Edible built a 14-meter-high statue in the shape of a lowercase “i” and filled it with peanut butter. If the dot at the top of the “i” is a cylinder with a diameter of 8 meters and a height of 6 meters, which is tangent to the cuboid that makes up the bottom of the “i”, how much peanut butter was needed to fill the statue?

A. \(216 + 96\pi\)
B. \(216 + 48\pi\)
C. \(216 + 36\pi\)
D. \(288 + 48\pi\)
E. \(288 + 96\pi\)

We’ll go for PRECISE because all the numbers we need are in the question.

This question asks us about the volume of the statue, which is actually the sum of the volumes of separate shapes: a cylinder and a cuboid. Let’s start with the cylinder: it has a diameter of 8 meters, meaning its radius is 4 meters – so its volume is \(\pi r^2h = \pi 4^2*6 = 96\pi\). Now let’s look at the cuboid: its height is the height of the statue minus the diameter of the dot = \(14 – 8 = 6\). Since all its dimensions are the same, the volume of the cuboid is \(a^3 = 6^3 = 216\). So the total volume of the dot is \(96\pi + 216\).

Answer: A

Hi Bunuel,

Why are all the dimensions of the cuboid same?

If it is mentioned as cube then the dimensions are same, but here its a cuboid and I think it makes more sense that the dimensions of the cuboid must be 6X8X6 which gives us answer choice E.

Please explain
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2019, 23:57
Hi Bunuel,
Why are all the dimensions same for the cuboid. Its not mentioned in the question, and the sides are same for a cube. How did you conclude that all sides are same.

Please Explain.
Thank you.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2019, 00:37
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 08:12
Hi Bunuel,

May i ask you, why the height of the cube is equal to it's diameter, which is 8, instead of 6? it doesnot make sense to me.

The question clearly states that a cylinder with a diameter of 8 meters and a height of 6 meters. why donot you subtract the 6 from the14, which gives us a height/side lengths of 8 for the cube?
Intern
Intern
B
M70-27  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2020, 14:31
Rebaz wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

May i ask you, why the height of the cube is equal to it's diameter, which is 8, instead of 6? it doesnot make sense to me.

The question clearly states that a cylinder with a diameter of 8 meters and a height of 6 meters. why donot you subtract the 6 from the14, which gives us a height/side lengths of 8 for the cube?

Because the dot on the top of the cube is a lying down cylinder, so the circle is facing outside and when you look at it, it appears as a dot. Hope you get it I can't draw here.
GMAT Club Bot
M70-27   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2020, 14:31

M70-27

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel