Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2411 [47]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [43]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3461 [1]
Send PM
Re: Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on comparing [#permalink]
Kudos
OA is C.

1. 'Compare to' Vs 'Compare with'
'Compare to' is used to compare to unlike things and tell the similarity between
them.
'Compare with' is used to compare two like things and tell the difference between
them.

This narrows choices down to 'C' & 'E'

2. 'Among' Vs 'Between'

'Among' - used when dealign with over 2 things
'Between' - used when dealing with 2 things

This narows choices down to 'A' , 'C', 'E'

Between choices 'C' and 'E', the difference is the usage 'comparing' vs
'comparison'

'comparison' is an act of 'comparing'.
Also note the usage 'based on ....comparisons ...with'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8798 [3]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on comparing [#permalink]
Kudos
Here is my take on it:

Firstly, according to MGMAT, the GMAT ignores the difference between 'compare to' and 'compare with'. (pg.148 Sentence Correction guide)

Many investors base their choice between bonds and stocks on comparing bond yields to the dividends available on common stocks.

A between bonds and stocks on comparing bond yields to
seems to imply the choice is based on the act of comparing rather than the comparison itself

B among bonds and stocks on comparisons of bond yields to
incorrect use of 'among'

C between bonds and stocks on comparisons of bond yields with OK
seems kosher: between is correctly used and the choice is based on the outcome of the comparison rather than the on act of comparing.

D among bonds and stocks on comparing bond yields and
incorrect use of 'among'

E between bonds and stocks on comparing bond yields with
seems to imply the choice is based on the act of comparing rather than the comparison itself
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Let us not bother whether it is ‘comparison with’ or ‘comparison to’, which I understand is not being tested by GMAT these days. But the primary clue is that a preposition such as ‘on’ has to be followed by a noun or noun phrase. There is no escape from this rule. So it has to be ‘on comparisons of’. Any other expression may be ignored from consideration. So ADE are out. Between B and C, as the comparison is essentially between two things namely bonds and stocks, we have to use ‘between’ rather than ‘among’. Choice C is correct.

I have a different idea
on arriving the hotel, I study gmat immediately

in this sentence, a correct one, on following by doing.

the point in this sentence is that if doing is used as pure noun, and a pure noun exist, specifically coparision, we should you noun form , and do not use doing as pure a noun. honestly, we need to do about gerund, participle and doing as pure noun to understand this question properly. these points are not explained enough in grammar book and in gmat og books and many persons fail.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
daagh wrote:
Let us not bother whether it is ‘comparison with’ or ‘comparison to’, which I understand is not being tested by GMAT these days. But the primary clue is that a preposition such as ‘on’ has to be followed by a noun or noun phrase. There is no escape from this rule. So it has to be ‘on comparisons of’. Any other expression may be ignored from consideration. So ADE are out. Between B and C, as the comparison is essentially between two things namely bonds and stocks, we have to use ‘between’ rather than ‘among’. Choice C is correct.

I have a different idea
on arriving the hotel, I study gmat immediately

in this sentence, a correct one, on following by doing.

the point in this sentence is that if doing is used as pure noun, and a pure noun exist, specifically coparision, we should you noun form , and do not use doing as pure a noun. honestly, we need to do about gerund, participle and doing as pure noun to understand this question properly. these points are not explained enough in grammar book and in gmat og books and many persons fail.

thangvietnam With the same reasoning that you have furnished, wouldn't "on arrival" be more appropriate than "on arriving"? This in turn would lead to the same explanation that Daagh provided: the preposition "on" followed by a noun.

whichscore wrote:
thank you for this clear answer.
Can we generalize this rule to all prepositions ?

daagh wrote:
Yes without doubt. A preposition will have to be followed by a noun or noun phrase or a pronoun or a pronoun phrase. There is no exception to this rule, as far as I know. That is the reason,when the word "like" is used as a preposition in comparisons, it is always followed by a noun and not a verb or a clause

However I beg to differ with the opinion that any preposition must be followed by a noun (phrase) or a pronoun (phrase).

After reaching the hotel, I called up John...... is there any error in this sentence?

The preposition "after" is followed by a gerund - the same structure as that in A,D and E. daagh Sir, kindly correct me, if I am making any mistake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Could someone clarify "comparisons" vs "comparing" ??

comparisons is a noun, whereas comparing is a verb. In the given context, I think comparing is correct. What is it I'm missing. Can someone please fill me?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM