Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6254 [218]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [38]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [31]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [13]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.

Here "Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago" should modify monasteries not mountain regions. - Modifier error

(A) Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.
Modifier error as explained
(B) Chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with many hundreds of monasteries.
Modifier error as explained
(C) Hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia.
Verb Tense - Awkwardly implies dotting as an ongoing activity
(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
Use of first passive is justified , but second is Not -> ..which ARE chiseled.. centuries ago. -> might have worked if it was - WERE chiseled.. centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
E remains ! E is the answer !

However, Them may refer ambiguously - Monasteries OR Mountain regions. Any Experts !
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Send PM
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Don't worry about pronoun ambiguity as long as the meaning is clear. It's only a problem when we *really* can't tell, as in this example:

When Kelly and Leena were crossing the street, a loud motorcycle startled her.

I should add that there is no problem with the use of passive voice in any of the answer choices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [3]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
DmitryFarber wrote:
Don't worry about pronoun ambiguity as long as the meaning is clear. It's only a problem when we *really* can't tell, as in this example:

When Kelly and Leena were crossing the street, a loud motorcycle startled her.

I should add that there is no problem with the use of passive voice in any of the answer choices.

Hi,

I have one doubt. Is the use "may of WHICH" is correct in option D, assuming it does not have "are" in it?

Thanx.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, "many of which" would correctly refer to "monasteries."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
what level question is this? i found this when i clicked on the 500level SC questions, but when i google this questions i get another post from gmatclub saying this is a 700level question.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
btan219 wrote:
what level question is this? i found this when i clicked on the 500level SC questions, but when i google this questions i get another post from gmatclub saying this is a 700level question.

Levels are not that scrutinized most of the times and are added by the poster of the question based on what he or she thinks.

Here are my thoughts about the question though

The main difference between the sentences does not lie in the words you marked in bold, but in their locations.

In the 1st sentence, "Many of them ... ago," modifies the mountainous regions, meaning that the mountains were chiseled from solid rock. Since mountains occur naturally and are not usually chiseled from rock (unless chiseled is used figuratively), this modifier seems misplaced. Notice that a modifiers such as this always modifies what follows the comma.

In the 2nd sentence, ",many of which ... ago." is a relative clause that modifies the monasteries, indicating that the monasteries were the ones chiseled from solid rock. This modifier is correctly placed. A relative clause modifies only what comes immediately before it.

"Many of" is a quantifier (indicating quantity), applied to to the modifier (many of them) or the relative clause (many of which).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Bookmarks
I think It is a modifier issue. look at Many of them , modifies the monasteries directly. you can review Manhattan . SC book chapter 'Advanced modifiers'. please note that Many of them without helping verb be which is right.
thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
btan219 wrote:

Levels are not that scrutinized most of the times and are added by the poster of the question based on what he or she thinks.

The main difference between the sentences does not lie in the words you marked in bold, but in their locations.

In the 1st sentence, "Many of them ... ago," modifies the mountainous regions, meaning that the mountains were chiseled from solid rock. Since mountains occur naturally and are not usually chiseled from rock (unless chiseled is used figuratively), this modifier seems misplaced. Notice that a modifiers such as this always modifies what follows the comma.

In the 2nd sentence, ",many of which ... ago." is a relative clause that modifies the monasteries, indicating that the monasteries were the ones chiseled from solid rock. This modifier is correctly placed. A relative clause modifies only what comes immediately before it.

"Many of" is a quantifier (indicating quantity), applied to to the modifier (many of them) or the relative clause (many of which).

isnt "which" use to modify only singular pronoun. for that them is appropriate here. right???
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
abrakadabra21 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
btan219 wrote:

isnt "which" use to modify only singular pronoun. for that them is appropriate here. right???

The pronoun "which" can be used to refer to plural antecedent. Please refer to the following excerpt from the topic subgroup modifier of Manahattan SC guide:

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.

Compare the above with the following answer choices:

(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF WHICH ARE chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF THEM chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

Thus both D and E are apparently correct.

Nonetheless the verb "ARE" is wrong in option D.......should be "WERE". Hence we can eliminate option D (although the modifier construction is right).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [16]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The source of this topic seems to be the condemned 1000 series. Notwithstanding that, let's see whether we can have any take away from that, especially because MGMAT is has been cited in the discussions on the principles of modification
Following is an excerpt from the Manhattan guide:

1. Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.--

The question is whether the second part of this sentence is an IC or just a modifier clause. IMO, \it is an IC since we have a solid subject in 'many of which' and a solid verb in 'were'. The result is that this is rather a comma splice. In addition, the verb 'were' seems to be out of place here, since the first part is in the present tense and a present perfect such as 'have been' would have been better. However, tense may or may not a critical issue here. .

2. Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.

This seems to be correct since, the second part is a verbless phrase, simply modifying the touching noun 'particles'.

To extrapolate this to the issue at hand,

(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF WHICH ARE chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF THEM chiseled from solid rock centuries ago

In this also, the choice D is wrong more because D is a comma splice. Of course, whether they are chiseled or were chiseled may not the prima-facie fact.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
A and B: “chiseled from solid rock” in correctly modifies “the mountainous region” instead of “monasteries”.
C: “are dotting” suggests the process of “dotting” is continuing and more and more monasteries are adding to the existing number.
D: “are chiseled from …centuries ago” is incorrect. “were chiseled” must be used instead of “are chiseled” for past tense.
E: Best choice. “many of them chiseled…” correctly modifies “monasteries. Hence, E is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19715 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Kudos
Gnpth wrote:
Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.

(A) Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.

(B) Chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with many hundreds of monasteries.

(C) Hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia.

(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

SC61561.01

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/08/12/archives/scholars-search-in-ethiopia-in-study-of-early-christians-challenge.html

The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago. If experts here are right, the monasteries are a storehouse of ancient manuscripts that could greatly alter prevailing views of early Christianity.

Official Explanation

Logical predication; Verb form

This sentence should indicate that hundreds of monasteries were chiseled from solid rock. As written, however, the phrase at the beginning of the sentence modifies the noun that immediately follows the comma: therefore, as worded, the sentence states that the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia were what was chiseled from solid rock.

A. This choice is incorrect for the reasons described above.

B. This choice, like A, has an incorrect placement of its modifying phrase. As a result, it too says that the mountainous regions are what were chiseled from solid rock. The regions themselves were not chiseled; it was the monasteries.

C. The present continuous are dotting suggests that the dotting is something that is actively occurring at this moment. It would be more idiomatically appropriate to use the present tense dot.

D. The chiseling took place centuries ago. This requires the past were chiseled rather than the present tense are chiseled.

E. Correct. This version of the sentence clearly states the intended meaning: many of the monasteries that dot the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia were chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

The correct answer is E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Yes, "many of which" would correctly refer to "monasteries."

Hi,

Can we also eliminate between options C, D & E basis that and which?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
The source of this topic seems to be the condemned 1000 series. Notwithstanding that, let's see whether we can have any take away from that, especially because MGMAT is has been cited in the discussions on the principles of modification
Following is an excerpt from the Manhattan guide:

1. Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.--

The question is whether the second part of this sentence is an IC or just a modifier clause. IMO, \it is an IC since we have a solid subject in 'many of which' and a solid verb in 'were'. The result is that this is rather a comma splice. In addition, the verb 'were' seems to be out of place here, since the first part is in the present tense and a present perfect such as 'have been' would have been better. However, tense may or may not a critical issue here. .

2. Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.

This seems to be correct since, the second part is a verbless phrase, simply modifying the touching noun 'particles'.

To extrapolate this to the issue at hand,

(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF THEM chiseled from solid rock centuries ago

In this also, the choice D is wrong more because D is a comma splice. Of course, whether they are chiseled or were chiseled may not the prima-facie fact.

DmitryFarber GMATNinja EducationAisle VeritasKarishma

According to MGMAT:
Right: ", some of which <verb>"
Wrong: ", some of which <past participle>"

Right: ", some of them <past participle>"
Wrong: ", some of them <verb>"

Could someone please explain why there's a discrepancy between "some of which" and "some of them"? MGMAT SC just lists those examples as wrong or right but doesn't really explain the reason behind it. I would really appreciate if someone could throw some light on it.

Personally, I agree with daagh. I feel that ", some of which <verb>" should be wrong since it doesn't appear to be an absolute phrase (i.e. Noun + Noun Modifier).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64892 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos