GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

     January 21, 2019

     January 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Current Student
User avatar
P
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done!!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 1118
Location: India
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:06
3
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (00:58) correct 55% (01:04) wrong based on 235 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.


(A) Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.

(B) Chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with many hundreds of monasteries.

(C) Hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia.

(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.


NEW PROJECT!: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point

_________________

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts


Originally posted by Gnpth on 30 Jul 2014, 09:53.
Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Dec 2018, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1375
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 00:41
4
2
We need the monasteries, not the mountainous regions, to be chiseled from solid rock, so (A) and (B) are out.

To say that the monasteries "are dotting the mountainous regions," as in (C), makes it sound as if they are in the process of expanding right now.

(D) is odd. We can't say that they are chiseled centuries ago.

(E) looks great.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 80
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 02:27
1
Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.

Here "Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago" should modify monasteries not mountain regions. - Modifier error

(A) Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.
Modifier error as explained
(B) Chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with many hundreds of monasteries.
Modifier error as explained
(C) Hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, are dotting the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia.
Verb Tense - Awkwardly implies dotting as an ongoing activity
(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of which are chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
Use of first passive is justified , but second is Not -> ..which ARE chiseled.. centuries ago. -> might have worked if it was - WERE chiseled.. centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
E remains ! E is the answer !

However, Them may refer ambiguously - Monasteries OR Mountain regions. Any Experts !
_________________

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1375
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 22:21
1
Don't worry about pronoun ambiguity as long as the meaning is clear. It's only a problem when we *really* can't tell, as in this example:

When Kelly and Leena were crossing the street, a loud motorcycle startled her.

I should add that there is no problem with the use of passive voice in any of the answer choices.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Posts: 134
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 02:44
DmitryFarber wrote:
Don't worry about pronoun ambiguity as long as the meaning is clear. It's only a problem when we *really* can't tell, as in this example:

When Kelly and Leena were crossing the street, a loud motorcycle startled her.

I should add that there is no problem with the use of passive voice in any of the answer choices.


Hi,

I have one doubt. Is the use "may of WHICH" is correct in option D, assuming it does not have "are" in it?

Thanx.
_________________

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1375
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 05:20
Yes, "many of which" would correctly refer to "monasteries."
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 07:42
what level question is this? i found this when i clicked on the 500level SC questions, but when i google this questions i get another post from gmatclub saying this is a 700level question.
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4361
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 18:29
btan219 wrote:
what level question is this? i found this when i clicked on the 500level SC questions, but when i google this questions i get another post from gmatclub saying this is a 700level question.


Levels are not that scrutinized most of the times and are added by the poster of the question based on what he or she thinks.

Here are my thoughts about the question though

The main difference between the sentences does not lie in the words you marked in bold, but in their locations.

In the 1st sentence, "Many of them ... ago," modifies the mountainous regions, meaning that the mountains were chiseled from solid rock. Since mountains occur naturally and are not usually chiseled from rock (unless chiseled is used figuratively), this modifier seems misplaced. Notice that a modifiers such as this always modifies what follows the comma.

In the 2nd sentence, ",many of which ... ago." is a relative clause that modifies the monasteries, indicating that the monasteries were the ones chiseled from solid rock. This modifier is correctly placed. A relative clause modifies only what comes immediately before it.

"Many of" is a quantifier (indicating quantity), applied to to the modifier (many of them) or the relative clause (many of which).
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 89
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2016, 00:55
I think It is a modifier issue. look at Many of them , modifies the monasteries directly. you can review Manhattan . SC book chapter 'Advanced modifiers'. please note that Many of them without helping verb be which is right.
thanks
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2911
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 02:01
2
hatemnag wrote:
I think It is a modifier issue. look at Many of them , modifies the monasteries directly. you can review Manhattan . SC book chapter 'Advanced modifiers'. please note that Many of them without helping verb be which is right.
thanks


Yes. The subgroup modifier topic is explained nicely in the Manahatatn SC guide. However please note that as per that explanation, both D and E would be correct.

Following is an excerpt from the Manhattan guide:
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.

Compare the above with the following answer choices:

(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF WHICH ARE chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF THEM chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

Thus both D and E are apparently correct.

Nonetheless the verb "ARE" is wrong in option D.......should be "WERE". Hence we can eliminate option D (although the modifier construction is right).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 345
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 00:58
souvik101990 wrote:
btan219 wrote:
what level question is this? i found this when i clicked on the 500level SC questions, but when i google this questions i get another post from gmatclub saying this is a 700level question.


Levels are not that scrutinized most of the times and are added by the poster of the question based on what he or she thinks.

Here are my thoughts about the question though

The main difference between the sentences does not lie in the words you marked in bold, but in their locations.

In the 1st sentence, "Many of them ... ago," modifies the mountainous regions, meaning that the mountains were chiseled from solid rock. Since mountains occur naturally and are not usually chiseled from rock (unless chiseled is used figuratively), this modifier seems misplaced. Notice that a modifiers such as this always modifies what follows the comma.

In the 2nd sentence, ",many of which ... ago." is a relative clause that modifies the monasteries, indicating that the monasteries were the ones chiseled from solid rock. This modifier is correctly placed. A relative clause modifies only what comes immediately before it.

"Many of" is a quantifier (indicating quantity), applied to to the modifier (many of them) or the relative clause (many of which).


isnt "which" use to modify only singular pronoun. for that them is appropriate here. right???
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2911
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 08:09
abrakadabra21 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
btan219 wrote:
what level question is this? i found this when i clicked on the 500level SC questions, but when i google this questions i get another post from gmatclub saying this is a 700level question.


Levels are not that scrutinized most of the times and are added by the poster of the question based on what he or she thinks.

Here are my thoughts about the question though

The main difference between the sentences does not lie in the words you marked in bold, but in their locations.

In the 1st sentence, "Many of them ... ago," modifies the mountainous regions, meaning that the mountains were chiseled from solid rock. Since mountains occur naturally and are not usually chiseled from rock (unless chiseled is used figuratively), this modifier seems misplaced. Notice that a modifiers such as this always modifies what follows the comma.

In the 2nd sentence, ",many of which ... ago." is a relative clause that modifies the monasteries, indicating that the monasteries were the ones chiseled from solid rock. This modifier is correctly placed. A relative clause modifies only what comes immediately before it.

"Many of" is a quantifier (indicating quantity), applied to to the modifier (many of them) or the relative clause (many of which).


isnt "which" use to modify only singular pronoun. for that them is appropriate here. right???


The pronoun "which" can be used to refer to plural antecedent. Please refer to the following excerpt from the topic subgroup modifier of Manahattan SC guide:

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.

Compare the above with the following answer choices:

(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF WHICH ARE chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF THEM chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

Thus both D and E are apparently correct.

Nonetheless the verb "ARE" is wrong in option D.......should be "WERE". Hence we can eliminate option D (although the modifier construction is right).
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4622
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 08:23
1
Top Contributor
The source of this topic seems to be the condemned 1000 series. Notwithstanding that, let's see whether we can have any take away from that, especially because MGMAT is has been cited in the discussions on the principles of modification
Following is an excerpt from the Manhattan guide:

1. Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.--

The question is whether the second part of this sentence is an IC or just a modifier clause. IMO, \it is an IC since we have a solid subject in 'many of which' and a solid verb in 'were'. The result is that this is rather a comma splice. In addition, the verb 'were' seems to be out of place here, since the first part is in the present tense and a present perfect such as 'have been' would have been better. However, tense may or may not a critical issue here. .

2. Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.

This seems to be correct since, the second part is a verbless phrase, simply modifying the touching noun 'particles'.

To extrapolate this to the issue at hand,


(D) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF WHICH ARE chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.
(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, MANY OF THEM chiseled from solid rock centuries ago

In this also, the choice D is wrong more because D is a comma splice. Of course, whether they are chiseled or were chiseled may not the prima-facie fact.
_________________

you can know a lot about something but not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Dec 2018
Posts: 50
Location: India
GPA: 3.94
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 23:58
A and B: “chiseled from solid rock” in correctly modifies “the mountainous region” instead of “monasteries”.
C: “are dotting” suggests the process of “dotting” is continuing and more and more monasteries are adding to the existing number.
D: “are chiseled from …centuries ago” is incorrect. “were chiseled” must be used instead of “are chiseled” for past tense.
E: Best choice. “many of them chiseled…” correctly modifies “monasteries. Hence, E is the answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous &nbs [#permalink] 17 Dec 2018, 23:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.