GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

     December 10, 2018

     December 10, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 39
Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Nov 2018, 05:05
4
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:42) correct 28% (00:49) wrong based on 535 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those that are commonly added to wine as preservatives. However, since there are several winemakers producing wine to which no sulfites are added, those who would like to drink wine but are allergic to sulfites can drink these wines without risking an allergic reaction to sulfites.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?


A. Sulfites occur naturally in most wine.

B. The sulfites that can produce an allergic reaction are also commonly found in beverages other than wine.

C. Wines without added sulfites tend to be at least moderately expensive.

D. Apart from sulfites, there are other substances commonly present in wine that can trigger allergic reactions.

E. Wine without added sulfites sometimes becomes undrinkable even before the wine is sold to consumers


The answer is A, I thought D but after reviewing nothing fits to this Q for me...
Why is it A? Since it says, some winemakers produce wine without sulfites, so people with allergy can choose to drink this wine even sulfties contain in most wine...How does this weaken??


Note: With the similar stimulus, there is a different question (assumption question) from OG -- that is discussed in:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/many-people-s ... 25973.html

Originally posted by gmatJP on 30 Jun 2010, 23:48.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Nov 2018, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2010
Posts: 6
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2010, 00:17
2
I agree with 'A'.

In fact we can use POE tool here.

Option B: Nothing to do with wine. It is related to beverages
option c:Expensive is notmatter here. Health is the matter
Option D:Though it is very close and weaken the argument but not more than A. Again this is basesd on hypothesis
Option E:Not at all as it is discussing some other thing rather than health

Option: A: It clearly says that, even wine maker produce wine without sulphaites, but sulphiates are naturally present in wine. So Claim of wine makers are not true. By this reason resonl only Option D is out as option D give the reasoning about items other that sulphiates but option A givies clear reason of sulphaiates.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 14
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2010, 04:22
Nice explanation, My two cents..

The conclusion of the stimulus mentions "risking an allergic reaction to sulfites" , so the other substances that can cause the allergies fall outside the scope of this argument.

Tricky one...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 355
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2010, 07:02
gmatJP wrote:
since there are several winemakers producing wine to which no sulfites are added, is


This means sulfites are not naturally present in wine.

Its tough between A & E.
On D Day, I Must have chosen E only.
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 39
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2010, 19:54
sonigmat, thanks for the explanation..

With your explanation I can see why A, but such tricky question on a test day is very taugh to answer plus having time limit.. ;(
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1121
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2010, 08:19
The conclusion is about allergic reaction to sulfites...any option talking about things other than sulfite allergic reaction is irrelevant.

A says that even if winemakers do not sulfite, sulfites are naturally present in wines and thus weakens.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 15
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2012, 21:07
Mod can you merge this topic, with the other thread that addresses why E is correct.

OA is E

E stands because we are concerned with and only with Sulfites, this renders D out of scope.

Tricky chappy isn't it...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2013
Posts: 159
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2013, 05:45
I am bit confused between A and E.


a)Sulfites occur naturally in most wine.
or
d)Apart from sulfites, there are other substances commonly present in wine that can trigger allergic reactions.

Can anyone give a good explanation for it.

Thanks in Advance,
Rrsnathan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 276
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2013, 06:18
Hi - Agree this is a tricky one.

A is correct.

Here is the issue with D....

those who would like to drink wine but are allergic to sulfites

Is quoted in the question. So you need a solution that talks directly about people allergic to sulfides.

D talks about allergies in general so is not correct....

James
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2014
Posts: 100
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 03:41
gmatJP wrote:
Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those that are commonly added to wine as preservatives. However, since there are several winemakers producing wine to which no sulfites are added, those who would like to drink wine but are allergic to sulfites can drink these wines without risking an allergic reaction to sulfites.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a)Sulfites occur naturally in most wine.
b)The sulfites that can produce an allergic reaction are also commonly found in beverages other than wine.
c)Wines without added sulfites tend to be at least moderately expensive.
d)Apart from sulfites, there are other substances commonly present in wine that can trigger allergic reactions.
e)Wine without added sulfites sometimes becomes undrinkable even before the wine is sold to consumers

The answer is A, I thought D but after reviewing nothing fits to this Q for me...
Why is it A? Since it says, some winemakers produce wine without sulfites, so people with allergy can choose to drink this wine even sulfties contain in most wine...How does this weaken??


Note: With the similar stimulus, there is a different question (assumption question) from OG -- that is discussed in:
many-people-suffer-an-allergic-reaction-to-certain-og13-25973.html



I don't think this is a good question, In A ............. Most can mean 51% to 99% of wines, there can be this 1% of wines, which these wine makers are selling.

But, most weakens question type suggest A is best among all .
_________________

way to victory .....

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 683
Premium Member
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 00:17
Allergic to sulfites ONLY and this is the reason D is incorrect. In fact D is a trap.

A is the correct answer. If sulfites occur naturally in MOST (yes it can be 51% or 99%) but this is best answer that weakens the conclusion.
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2017
Posts: 7
CAT Tests
Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Nov 2018, 21:10
Shouldn't the answer to this question be 'E'?

If there are a total of 100 kinds of wine, and 99 kinds of wine have sulfites naturally in them there is still one type of wine people allergic to sulfite can drink, hence, this does not weaken the author's conclusion. Whereas in option E, if wine becomes without sulfite becomes undrinkable by the time it is sold, allergic people have no wine they can drink, thus rendering the argument's conclusion incorrect.

Got this as the first question in a GMATPrep CAT and got it wrong, I still can't wrap my head around why option E is wrong.

Originally posted by TumbleDore on 09 Nov 2018, 04:29.
Last edited by TumbleDore on 09 Nov 2018, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 327
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 08:35
2
Top Contributor
TumbleDore wrote:
Shouldn't the answer to this question be 'E'?

If there are a total of 100 kinds of wine, and 99 kinds of wine have sulfites naturally in them there is still one type of wine people allergic to sulfite can drink, hence, this does not weaken the author's conclusion. Whereas in option E, if wine becomes without sulfite becomes undrinkable by the time it is sold, allergic people have no wine they can drink, thus rendering the argument's conclusion incorrect.

Got this as the first question in a GMATPrep CAT and got it wrong, I still can't wrap my head around why option E is wrong.



Yeah, good question - one things that's super important on CR is exact precision in language, especially in the conclusion. Check out this phrase from the conclusion:

...can drink these wines...

Your hypothetical allows for one wine that they could drink without a reaction to sulfates, but "these wines" is more general than that - "these" refers to "wines without added sulfates" and seems to encompass all wines without added sulfates, so your hypothetical doesn't quite attack that specific conclusion (if it were "can drink some wines" you have a good case).

The other portion of precision-in-language that I see as so critical here is the difference between "added sulfites" in all the premises and "an allergic reaction to sulfites" (meaning just "sulfites," not "added sulfites") in the conclusion. One thing we love to work with students on is noting that difference if there's an adjective or modifier in the premise but not in the conclusion, or vice versa - if you know that the premises and conclusion are about slightly different things, then that's almost always what the answer is about. Here I'm looking 100% for "the premises are all about added sulfates and the conclusion is just about sulfates, so show me an answer for already-existing sulfates and that attacks that specific gap." (A) nails it.

Note that with (E) you also miss the point of the conclusion, which is only about avoiding the reaction to sulfates. I'd look at (E) two ways to eliminate it:

1) It's undrinkable before it's sold, so it probably never gets sold, or

2) It's undrinkable but sulfate-sufferers buy it anyway and die of some horrific spoiled wine disease...but they DID NOT suffer an allergic reaction, and that's the only thing the conclusion cares about.
_________________

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2017
Posts: 7
CAT Tests
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 21:14
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
TumbleDore wrote:
Shouldn't the answer to this question be 'E'?

If there are a total of 100 kinds of wine, and 99 kinds of wine have sulfites naturally in them there is still one type of wine people allergic to sulfite can drink, hence, this does not weaken the author's conclusion. Whereas in option E, if wine becomes without sulfite becomes undrinkable by the time it is sold, allergic people have no wine they can drink, thus rendering the argument's conclusion incorrect.

Got this as the first question in a GMATPrep CAT and got it wrong, I still can't wrap my head around why option E is wrong.



Yeah, good question - one things that's super important on CR is exact precision in language, especially in the conclusion. Check out this phrase from the conclusion:

...can drink these wines...

Your hypothetical allows for one wine that they could drink without a reaction to sulfates, but "these wines" is more general than that - "these" refers to "wines without added sulfates" and seems to encompass all wines without added sulfates, so your hypothetical doesn't quite attack that specific conclusion (if it were "can drink some wines" you have a good case).

The other portion of precision-in-language that I see as so critical here is the difference between "added sulfites" in all the premises and "an allergic reaction to sulfites" (meaning just "sulfites," not "added sulfites") in the conclusion. One thing we love to work with students on is noting that difference if there's an adjective or modifier in the premise but not in the conclusion, or vice versa - if you know that the premises and conclusion are about slightly different things, then that's almost always what the answer is about. Here I'm looking 100% for "the premises are all about added sulfates and the conclusion is just about sulfates, so show me an answer for already-existing sulfates and that attacks that specific gap." (A) nails it.

Note that with (E) you also miss the point of the conclusion, which is only about avoiding the reaction to sulfates. I'd look at (E) two ways to eliminate it:

1) It's undrinkable before it's sold, so it probably never gets sold, or

2) It's undrinkable but sulfate-sufferers buy it anyway and die of some horrific spoiled wine disease...but they DID NOT suffer an allergic reaction, and that's the only thing the conclusion cares about.


This clears it up, thanks so much! Would you say that this is a medium level question in terms of difficulty?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 395
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 00:23
A. Sulfites occur naturally in most wine. - Weakens. If sulphites are naturally present then any person who is allergic to sulphites is still vulnerable to an infection or allergy. The conclusion falls apart.

B. The sulfites that can produce an allergic reaction are also commonly found in beverages other than wine. - out of context

C. Wines without added sulfites tend to be at least moderately expensive. - irrelevant.

D. Apart from sulfites, there are other substances commonly present in wine that can trigger allergic reactions. - out of context. We are not discussing about other substances. In the argument, the major focus is on sulphites. Everytime the author has included sulphites. So, we can strike this one off.

E. Wine without added sulfites sometimes becomes undrinkable even before the wine is sold to consumers - irrelevant.

Thus, A stands out.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 136
Location: Taiwan
GPA: 3.34
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 06:35
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?


A. Sulfites occur naturally in most wine.

B. The sulfites that can produce an allergic reaction are also commonly found in beverages other than wine.
We do not care about other beverages

C. Wines without added sulfites tend to be at least moderately expensive.
price is not the issue, irrelevant

D. Apart from sulfites, there are other substances commonly present in wine that can trigger allergic reactions.
we only care about sulfites allergic reaction

E. Wine without added sulfites sometimes becomes undrinkable even before the wine is sold to consumers
irrelevant, we are focusing on sulfite allergic reaction

A is correct
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those &nbs [#permalink] 27 Nov 2018, 06:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Many people suffer an allergic reaction to sulfites, including those

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.